Hospitals In Pattaya...

The Mask

banglamung is good for minor stuff, i had an operation on my ankle there, they were great, but during my 2 day stay i watched one young thai die there, how the nurses laughed when another nurse put the respirator on the guy as he was dieing cos she put it on round the wrong way, and then when the dr arrived and they tried the old electric shock machine on him and had to wait an extra 5 minutes for an extension lead, yep minor stuff banglamung is great and as cheap as <deleted>, but dont risk your life there...

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital: 038-427-777

Pattaya International Hospital: 038-428-374-5

Public hospitals are much, much cheaper; most docs speak some English, but not the other staff. Many docs are just as competent as those at the private hsps.

This is a Thai navy hospital but admits the public; large, good reputation:

Queen Sirikit Hospital Sattahip: 038-245-926

good, small public hospital in Sriricha:

Somdej Sriricha Hospital (public): 038-311-009

Closest public hospital to Pattaya, but the worst of all:

Banglamung Hospital: 038-428-135

Websites

http://www.pih-inter.com/

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/index.htm

Many people prefer Bungrungrad in BKK for anything mission-critical:

http://www.bumrungrad.com

Edited by JSixpack

I know it is easy to knock the public system, as the funding is low.

The junior doctors are low paid and lack motivation.

Let me quote some examples.

1. My step son was injured in a motorcycle accident. The doctors in the

emergency room were more worried about doing expensive CAT scans, rather than doing basic first aid to deal with bleeding.

When I had him moved to a private hosital, he was in the operating room,

within minutes to have a ruptured artery sutured. He was lucky not to have bled out!!

2. A nephew was also injured in a motorcycle accident.

It was 2 hour before he reached the ward, where the resident diagnosed a ruptured spleen. He too was rushed to surgery. The emergency room staff had missed it totally.

3. A niece complained of headaches and was rushed to hospital.

She died 3 hour later. Diagnosis, AIDS. Yes, we knew she was HIV postive, but that does not kill you in 3 hours.

Make sure you head for a private hospital. Some of those leave something to be

desired, but they are way ahead of the public service.

The cost of insurance to cover the Thai private hospitals is remarkably low.

The premium for my wife, aged 53 is US$200 p.a.

There is an article in the Pattaya Trader that states that there is a hospital in Pattaya that has a THREE TIER pricing system, as follows:

1. Thai price

2. Farang price

3. Tourist price

The article implied other hospitals have a TWO TIER, Thai and farang. I don't know if they meant private and/or public hospitals, but does anyone know which hospital had the THREE TIER system?

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital does indeed have a three teir pricing system Thai, Resident, and tourist. If you have a visa extension for a year like a retiremenr visa you can request the resident price. If your girlfriend or Thai wife is registered in Chomburi as her home province she will get the Thai price.

Make sure you head for a private hospital.  Some of those leave something to be

desired, but they are way ahead of the public service.

Well, it depends. If it's for something minor and easily diagnosed I'd go for a public or even a fairly good clinic like Loma Clinic in Naklua. Get a cyst removed at BKK-PTY and it might cost 6,000 baht; go to a public hsp and it'll be around 300 baht. The experienced docs at private hsps often work at public ones as well. In fact, for a big op, you can ask the doc at the private hsp if he works at a public and just have it done there for half the price or less.

Sometimes you can get the diagnosis at a private hsp (or two or three) (often the diagnosis is cheap, it's the work that's expensive) and then go have it done at a private.

Of course if money is neve an object then by all means just to to private. :o

Have always received good treatment and sevice at the Naval Hospital, Sattahip and there is no 2 or 3 tier system. Some staff speak english but a little thai helps.

My father recently had the same treatment for his heart complaint as he did in Pattaya last year. Whilst the system was a bit more bureaucratic, the charge was a quarter of what he paid in Pattaya the year before.

Have always received good treatment and sevice at the Naval Hospital, Sattahip and there is no 2 or 3 tier system. Some staff speak english but a little thai helps.

If you are trying to describe where the pain is, how bad it is,

this can be difficult enough in your native language,

never mind a foreign tongue!!

Is Bangkok Pattaya hosipital on Soi 4?

No, that's Pattaya International. Ok, but not the best.

Bangkok-Pattaya hospital is on Sukhumvit Road, just north of Pattaya Nua.

Re. 3-tier system in B-P, never heard of it, though both my TW and I have been treated there (at same price). Maybe it's a new thing?

Re. 3-tier system in B-P, never heard of it, though both my TW and I have been treated there (at same price). Maybe it's a new thing?

I never heard of this 3-tier system. Thais I've known have paid the same as the farang.

Be aware that PTY Int'l has its supporters who do prefer it over BKK-PTY. 'Nuff said.

I would welcome opinions on what the best hospitals are in Pattaya as I will soon be relocating.

many thanks,

If you have kids, Pattaya International Hospital on Soi 4, in my opinion is by far the best. No waiting for hours on end and they have the best pediatrician in Thailand working there

I need access to quality physiotherapy/orthopaedic consultations as I have knee/hip problems.

I would welcome opinions on what the best hospitals are in Pattaya as I will soon be relocating.

many thanks,

If you have kids, Pattaya International Hospital on Soi 4, in my opinion is by far the best. No waiting for hours on end and they have the best pediatrician in Thailand working there

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital:

Very good and on par in terms of what I would expect in terms of price. Friendly staff, but to business like for me.

Pattaya International: Soi 4

Pricey at first but the prices have come down. Very friendly staff.

Loma Clinic:

Got misdiagnosed twice by 2 different doctors and ended up becoming allegic to ethromycon and roxithromycin. Not a place I would want to talk to again. After 3 visists and the skin rash did not go away, the good doctor asked me --- When you go home. I smiled. :o

Edited by aqua4

I never heard of this 3-tier system. Thais I've known have paid the same as the farang.

Be aware that PTY Int'l has its supporters who do prefer it over BKK-PTY. 'Nuff said.

Three tier pricing is in practice at BKK-Pattaya. Basically its Tourist/walk in farang, resident farang WITH a discount card/programme and Thai stand alone price. Thai stand alone price is where there is no visible farang in the picture. I recently had to take one of my staff there - he saw a doctor with one of my other staff while I got busy in Au Bon Pain having a coffee and danish pastry. After they had seen the doctor, got the injection and the bill, they came looking for me to pay the bill. All of 620 baht for a consultation, injection and course of antibiotics. Every time I have been there, the consultation is around 500 baht, but for him it was 300 baht and I suspect medicines are cheaper prices for Thais.

Resident farang prices are based on you paying something like 1000 baht for a discount card which gives you different prices for inpatient accomodation, check-ups etc etc - quite valuable if you ever get admitted and well worth the price.

Three tier pricing is in practice at BKK-Pattaya. Basically its Tourist/walk in farang, resident farang WITH a discount card/programme and Thai stand alone price. Thai stand alone price is where there is no visible farang in the picture. I recently had to take one of my staff there - he saw a doctor with one of my other staff while I got busy in Au Bon Pain having a coffee and danish pastry. After they had seen the doctor, got the injection and the bill, they came looking for me to pay the bill. All of 620 baht for a consultation, injection and course of antibiotics. Every time I have been there, the consultation is around 500 baht, but for him it was 300 baht and I suspect medicines are cheaper prices for Thais.

Resident farang prices are based on you paying something like 1000 baht for a discount card which gives you different prices for inpatient accomodation, check-ups etc etc - quite valuable if you ever get admitted and well worth the price.

Where would one find the resident farang doscount card for BPH hospital.

Eric

Every time I have been there, the consultation is around 500 baht, but for him it was 300 baht and I suspect medicines are cheaper prices for Thais.

Doctors are free to determine their own fees for any particular service. Hence consulation prices can vary widely. I've even had a free consulation, which I found rather shocking. Other times what I figured would be B500 turned out to be B800. Your example doesn't mean that there is any systematic two-tier pricing scheme in effect. Besides, I've known Thais who paid the same price as farangs would normally pay.

I'm also not sure that this discount card is only for resident farang. I could be wrong, but my mpression is that it is for everyone. I seem to remember seeing a brochure about it written in Thai. I'm also not certain that if you're a farang that you must be resident. Are you absolutely certain about this? Surely some TV member will be going to BPH hospital soon and can find out definitely.

Edited by JSixpack

Loma Clinic:

Got misdiagnosed twice by 2 different doctors and ended up becoming allegic to ethromycon and roxithromycin. Not a place I would want to talk to again. After 3 visists and the skin rash did not go away, the good doctor asked me --- When you go home. I smiled.  :o

:D Yeah you don't wanna go there for anything that might be a challenge. For routine cuts, bruises, burns, muscle strain, a known prescription--I've found Loma to be just fine. Not clear from your post whether the skin rash the original condition or from the acquired allergy. If the former, I'd just point out that skin rashes can be quite difficult to diagnose and I'd in the first instance see a dermatologist.

Every time I have been there, the consultation is around 500 baht, but for him it was 300 baht and I suspect medicines are cheaper prices for Thais.

Doctors are free to determine their own fees for any particular service. Hence consulation prices can vary widely. I've even had a free consulation, which I found rather shocking. Other times what I figured would be B500 turned out to be B800. Your example doesn't mean that there is any systematic two-tier pricing scheme in effect. Besides, I've known Thais who paid the same price as farangs would normally pay.

I'm also not sure that this discount card is only for resident farang. I could be wrong, but my mpression is that it is for everyone. I seem to remember seeing a brochure about it written in Thai. I'm also not certain that if you're a farang that you must be resident. Are you absolutely certain about this? Surely some TV member will be going to BPH hospital soon and can find out definitely.

Unfortunately its the only example I have got of paying for a Thai without accompanying my GF for treatment. However in my mind it firmly establishes that dual pricing exisits, however I would doubt you will ever get official confirmation of it. Maybe its up to the doctors discretion but a consultation, injection from a nurse and a course of antibiotics as well as the usual strips of tylenol all for 620 baht seems very cheap to me.

I am sure that the card is available to everybody but its targeted at resident farang and they make a big play of it with the residents clubs such as Pattaya Expats Club etc etc.

Personally I have never been impressed with doctor ability at this hospital and wherever possible now steer clear of it and try and go somewhere else, so my detailed knowledge is a little limited to what I have seen and experienced myself.