Child, Visa And Other Things

OK, so to cut a long story short, the missus has left me.................me and our 10 month old daughter.

So I am now on my own with my daughter, that bit is ok, but I am now concerned about how I can stay here and look after her. My pension is only about 34K per month, so not enough for an extension. My daughter does not have a passport yet, and I am sure that she would not appreciate hours on a bus on visa runs either!

So basically, what options do you think are open for me ?

PS anyone recommend a nanny ? I need some help, it's my first ever baby ! :-)

Thanks

If you have not you might want to post in the family section also. There are legal aspects that will need to be taken care of as well as the visa issues.

You were officially married and are listed as the father and made the registration yourself? Extension of stay would depend on you having custody so that needs to be addressed even before extension of stay issues. Without the mother are you determined to remain in Thailand or might you be better off in home country? Are there family members that might help?

As for money do you have other income such as rent payments/investments or such that could get the figure above 40k per month (this is gross)? You do not have the 400k for bank account method it seems? If visa runs are required it may be difficult obtaining multi entry non immigrant O in the area but that would be the best visa run option.

If you have not you might want to post in the family section also. There are legal aspects that will need to be taken care of as well as the visa issues.

You were officially married and are listed as the father and made the registration yourself? Extension of stay would depend on you having custody so that needs to be addressed even before extension of stay issues. Without the mother are you determined to remain in Thailand or might you be better off in home country? Are there family members that might help?

As for money do you have other income such as rent payments/investments or such that could get the figure above 40k per month (this is gross)? You do not have the 400k for bank account method it seems? If visa runs are required it may be difficult obtaining multi entry non immigrant O in the area but that would be the best visa run option.

We were not married. I am named as the father on the birth certificate, but the hospital did the registration ( :) )

Going home not really an option, nothing, no one there.

No other income :-(

Your first step will be to legalise your child and be recognized as the father, otherwise you will only have the option of visa runs or registering at a school and getting an Ed-visa plus extensions.

No way to get in touch with the mother? if she agrees to legitimize you and give you custody over the child it would make things much easier. Although you will still need to show either an income of 40,000 or 400,000 in the bank.

OK, my information may be outdated but I got this much.

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes.

First, I would force the approval on the "case to case basis", by legally getting sole custody of the baby. I would first ask my girlfriend to surrender her rights and grant me sole custody of the baby. If she refuses, then I would contact the police and file a child neglect charges based on abandonment. (I may not get far nor be successful but the act in itself proof that I am serious about the matter.) IF I still can't get sole custody before the deadline, then I would go to the Immigration with what I have.

Your case deserve approval. Also, the alternative is far worse for Thailand in that they prefer to have a father with some income taking care of his child rather than forcing the child to become an orphan. By that I mean, if you are disapproved, then I would just ask the Immigration Commissioner or Deputy where can I leave the baby. (This is only the last disparate attempt but don't leave the baby. Please take the baby with you.)

Edited by tripplejjj

OK, my information may be outdated but I got this much.
2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes.

First, I would force the approval on the "case to case basis", by legally getting sole custody of the baby. I would first ask my girlfriend to surrender her rights and grant me sole custody of the baby. If she refuses, then I would contact the police and file a child neglect charges based on abandonment. (I may not get far nor be successful but the act in itself proof that I am serious about the matter.) IF I still can't get sole custody before the deadline, then I would go to the Immigration with what you have.

Your case deserve approval. Also, the alternative is far worse for Thailand in that they prefer to have a father with some income taking care of his child rather than forcing the child to become an orphan. By that I mean, if you are disapproved, then I would just ask the Immigration Commissioner or Deputy where can I leave the baby. (This is only the last disparate attempt but don't leave the baby. Please take the baby with you.)

Your trying to appeal to people who don't care, Forget it!

@ Benchy,

By bad, I was only thinking of the baby first. And please don't generalize about the Thai people or people in general because I can generalize and say the same about you. CHEAP SHOT!

I was not generalizing about Thai people I was talking about staff at immigration, I have been in the same situation as the OP and received no help at all, plus they fined me 3 days for being 1 day late, my date was on the Sat, the Friday was a holiday as was Sat and Sun, I went on Mon, if I had gone before Fri the money would not have been in my acc for 2 months.

Staff at immigration are hardened to our stories they have heard them many times

Read and Understand before You say CHEAP SHOT!

:)

@bigt116,

Please, if any thing, try to plea with the immigration on your case and don't take the word of Benchy. If he had better sense, he would not let the immigration fine him 3 days for one day late either. As I understand it, there is no requirement for you to have savings in your bank account for two months prior to applying if you will use your 34K/month income as a source. This is just a thought. What would happened if you can get a loan and put it in a bank account for two months. Also, how are you able to stay in Thailand right now?

@Benchy,

You stated:

I was not generalizing about Thai people I was talking about staff at immigration,

I stated:

And please don't generalize about the Thai people or people in general

If you would "read and understand", then talking about the "staff at immigration" is the same as "people in general". The conduct of a few is never the true representative of a whole. If you want to not generalize, try using real names with real faces.

In addition, you stated:

I have been in the same situation as the OP

So you are telling me that the girlfriend left you with a baby and you only have 34k/month income and wasn't able to get a Non-IM visa based on being the father of a Thai baby.

As I "read and understand", you stated that you received no help at all at the immigration because you decided to report one date late and was fine 3 days. The reason you did this was because you ASSUMED that if you go to immigration before Friday, then the immigration would not have granted you the visa/extension because you had less than 2 months of money in the account.

I can only say that I agree with you in that the staff at immigration have no pity for foreigners who failed to follow instructions and have only sorry ass excuses.

Now, I challenge you (Benchy) to provide solutions to Bigt116's predicament.

Edited by tripplejjj

@bigt116,

Please, if any thing, try to plea with the immigration on your case and don't take the word of Benchy. If he had better sense, he would not let the immigration fine him 3 days for one day late either. As I understand it, there is no requirement for you to have savings in your bank account for two months prior to applying if you will use your 34K/month income as a source. This is just a thought. What would happened if you can get a loan and put it in a bank account for two months. Also, how are you able to stay in Thailand right now?

@Benchy,

You stated:

I was not generalizing about Thai people I was talking about staff at immigration,

I stated:

And please don't generalize about the Thai people or people in general

If you would "read and understand", then talking about the "staff at immigration" is the same as "people in general". The conduct of a few is never the true representative of a whole. If you want to not generalize, try using real names with real faces.

In addition, you stated:

I have been in the same situation as the OP

So you are telling me that the girlfriend left you with a baby and you only have 34k/month income and wasn't able to get a Non-IM visa based on being the father of a Thai baby.

As I "read and understand", you stated that you received no help at all at the immigration because you decided to report one date late and was fine 3 days. The reason you did this was because you ASSUMED that if you go to immigration before Friday, then the immigration would not have granted you the visa/extension because you had less than 2 months of money in the account.

I can only say that I agree with you in that the staff at immigration have no pity for foreigners who failed to follow instructions and have only sorry ass excuses.

Now, I challenge you (Benchy) to provide solutions to Bigt116's predicament.

:):D

Sorry

:D :D

Benchy/triplejjj: Ok guys, let's draw the line here on your exchanges. Now back to the topic with constructive advice only for the Op please ...

:)

Sorry

To the OP, If I were you I would widen my options, get the pp as soon as possible, you don't say where your from but I think I'm right in saying for the UK after 1 year old it gets more expensive, about 50.000bht is what it cost me.

Just get it to be safe

Good Luck