Saving You Pictures And Showing Them On The Web

eurasianthai

I have started publishing some photos in Picassa, mainly of holiday trips

to make it easier for friends to share.

Like you only a very small percentage.

All are archived on my computer and 2 backup disks in the original format.

The published ones are reduced to 25% size and 72dpi.

Mine are on pbase.com 'Thailand as I see it'.

Google win13 or visit me profile page where there is a direct link to it. Use the 'Tree View' to hunt around the 80 odd sub-directotries that are there.

As for all the other 1000's of photo they are back-up and up, not for show, would like them to be, but that costs a lot of time to post them.

Should you visit me site, please leave a message or two :)

Sawadee :D

If you don't have the guts to provide your real name (the one on your passport) online, then you might be best to leave out the photos.

That is an extreme view.

A little anonymity on the web is a wise precaution in my opinion.

If you don't have the guts to provide your real name (the one on your passport) online, then you might be best to leave out the photos.

I use my real name on some sites, not on others. Comment is inappropriate. Having your name posted does not mean one is a good and responsible poster.

Mine are on pbase.com

I use pbase, as well. For me it's not necessarily my "best" photos, but mostly travel photos that may help people plan a trip. I've been pleased to get some responses about just that.

I put...well, maybe 5% of my photos on pbase. The rest I save on CD as jpegs, but also incorporate into topical Powerpoints...admittedly just for my own purpose. Same idea as a photo album.

I use my real name on some sites, not on others. Comment is inappropriate. Having your name posted does not mean one is a good and responsible poster.

As for showing your pictures on the web though, if you're not prepared to give your identity textually, then I would suggest you keep your photos offline also. This is not a complicated issue to understand.

Indeed.

Especially in forums.

But I agree with SeanMoran on one point, if you really want to protect your privacy, do not post on the internet, in forums or elsewhere.

This is pretty easy to find the name of the people posting, with a bit of research.

But it still requires a bit of computer skills, so the totally nuts won't find you, I think... :):D

Indeed.

Especially in forums.

But I agree with Sean Moran on one point, if you really want to protect your privacy, do not post on the internet, in forums or elsewhere.

This is pretty easy to find the name of the people posting, with a bit of research.

But it still requires a bit of computer skills, so the totally nuts won't find you, I think... :):D

Well then, in that case, as an honest Internet user, I find it easiest to just use one of my free-hosted websites, and create a simple /img directory, and put all my current photos, of me and the places I'm at, into that directory in 800x600 .jpg format. It is VERY important to 'photoshop' the images you get off your camera, because the people using the Internet in Lima do not have hours to wait just to see one photo. Make your web-sized photos web-sized befor you upload them, and that will be a bonus if there's ever a question of copyright to some photo you took, because only YOU have the original.

It is VERY important to 'photoshop'

And Kwai is that may one ask, as I use ACDSee Pro 3.0 :)

Sawadee :D

I meant it like 'betamax' it. I used Paintshop Pro 6,23 for ten years, and now with Linux, I GIMP it, but most of the humans on the Internet are rather unintelligent, so I just write 'photoshoped it' as a verb so that those of a lesser capacity for understanding can comprehend the meaning.

Yes, on-topic, the thread subject is about saving YOU pictures and showing them on the web.

I suggested that only those few of us who have nothing to hide and are willing to provide our own real names should consider showing ME pictures on the web, or else it defeats the purpose of being anonymous. If you have something to hide, then don't put your daughter on the stage, Mrs Worthington.

Edited by Tywais

As for putting photos on the web without anonymity of the poster, that is showing real names then I suggest one read up on the below. You can include the potential of identity theft in the mix also.

Cyberstalking

Cyber stalkers find their victims through various mediums such as social networking sites, search engines, online forums, message boards, chat rooms, or through electronic mail. These cyber stalkers behave with vile mannerisms such as the defaming of character to damage the victim’s reputation, contacting those connected with the victim in attempts to falsely accuse them with the hope that others turn against their victim, and/or creating fictitious accusations that are publicly posted on various social mediums online. Mostly associated with mental illness, a cyber stalker may choose to live vicariously through the victim by stealing content, parroting actions, or mimicking behaviors. This plagiarism happens after the stalker compulsively monitors the victim so to gather information – this monitoring usually takes place without the victim’s knowledge. A great deal, if not all, of that gained information is later used to satisfy the stalker’s unreasonable needs. In the attempt to gain information, the Internet stalker seeks out victim’s friends and/or family members to obtain personal information; such as photos, addresses, employment information, information about known traumatic life experiences, and other forms of private information.

Source: Detailed look

Size and resolution is important before posting.

600x800 is fine, personally I just reduce the size by 25%. That way I do not have to worry

if the shots are landscape or portrait, then set the resolution to 72dpi to match the screen.

I use Faststone which will do a batch resize for me and insert my initials in the corner, or a watermark if preferred.

The 72dpi prevents anyone from making quality prints from your photos.

It is VERY important to 'photoshop' the images you get off your camera, because the people using the Internet in Lima do not have hours to wait just to see one photo. Make your web-sized photos web-sized befor you upload them, and that will be a bonus if there's ever a question of copyright to some photo you took, because only YOU have the original.

That very much depends on the hosting site used. Pbase, for example, is lightning fast even with very large files. Of course, for those who are still using dial-up it may still constitute a problem. But then again, that is their problem. For more serious photographers, there is a desire to not downsize photos to the point there is any loss in clarity. If there's one thing I hate more than sitting waiting for something to download, is downloading something that's so small it's not usable.

Another consideration.

I've just shot a graduation investiture for the GF's niece. Finalised 65 images in all (big family)

All the family wanted pics and they are spread across the Country

I uploaded them and "locked them down" on my photo hosting site (Smugmug) - gave them the password and they were free to download at their will for prints.

800x600 @ 72 dpi or the like would not have been of use to them

I uploaded at 300 dpi - jpeg level 8/9 and RGB - each pic approx. 2Mb

183 of her family/friends downloaded!

More to the point they had them within 24 hours and I now presume each has a batch of 65 prints from the local print shop.

Can you imagine the effort of emailing them all, the cost of providing prints etc ( and in 24 hours)- wow. :)

On internet as well as in real life, copyrights laws protect the right even if the author/creator use a pseudonym. And normally people don't care much about knowing real people's name. Pseudonyms are also used to be easy to remember or to get more attention from the public.

Edited by aeon

Can you imagine the effort of emailing them all, the cost of providing prints etc ( and in 24 hours)- wow. :)

Indeed, the cost of storing your photos on a server anywhere is so low these days that it makes sense to do it if you want to share your photos with others.

For my family in Europe, I have plenty of pictures on flickr that are not public, you can't see them, but that they can see them and download them.

Edited by eurasianthai

As for showing your pictures on the web though, if you're not prepared to give your identity textually, then I would suggest you keep your photos offline also. This is not a complicated issue to understand.

Sean, you're very judgmental, and that comes through in many of your posts on TV on many different topics. You don't discuss. You lecture. I understand your point of view on the current topic, but it might be nice if you could see other points of view. There are sites on which I post my name freely, others that I don't. And on the pbase site, although I don't think my name is on it, should someone contact me for additional information, I may or may not give it to them. Just because they look at a photo of mine doesn't mean they need to know much about me. On this forum you post your name. I'm not sure many -- if anyone -- cares that the person they are reading a comment by is Sean Moran.

I think where it changes -- at least for me -- are anonymous bloggers (for example) who gain a following and begin to influence. If there's an op-ed piece in the Bangkok Post, I think we ought to know who submitted it. It may influence public opinion or governmental action. Or, if people post photos as part of a profit-making venture...okay, perhaps a name is appropriate there, also. But just because someone looks at my free photo of Niagara Falls online...they don't need to know who I am.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm not a photographer but am considering ways of having my photos 'accessible' for friends, family etc. and have found this thread useful.

Apart from the strange aggressive comments about people who don't post with the name from their passports. Quite why that would be an issue at all (for normal people) escapes me completely.