Buying Stocks In Nz

I hope I am in the right section. I am Canadian, retired and living in Bangkok.

I want to buy New Zealand (stocks) securities, but I don't know of any security companies to contact.

1. Does anyone out there know who are the top two security companies and how to contact them in NZ ?

2. Are foreigner stock purchases tax free, how does the tax (tax gains,dividends etc.) regulations work in NZ for foreigners buying stocks from Thailand ? I read that foreigners buying from abroad are tax exempt... any truth to this ?

3. Can I set up a securities account with a NZ security company from Thailand or do I have to travel there ?

4. Can I set up a bank account from Thailand or do I have to travel there ?

Any and all other information is greatly appreciated as you can see by my post that I am just now trying to put this together and have no real ideas on how to

do this.

Thanks for your help

I am a Kiwi so I guess you know something about NZ stocks I dont.I have a suggestion for you to consider, look at this Australian based Co - it is an information service provider on trading Financial Instruments. Last year it returned 119%, the previous 2 years were both over 50%. The best thing is you keep your own money in your designated account, no one else can access your funds, it is Tax free for you up here. It is a hard act to beat in my experience, and as to security, the Australian Financial Services Market & License is possibly the most highly regulated on the planet. Anyway take a look at www.option1.com.au if those returns are of interest.

I use ASB securities & Direct Broking, but with both those you require to be a NZ citizen.

Perhaps you can buy shares via your Canadian Broker, but im sure that will be more costly. But for a matter of buy and hold that would be ok.

Daytrading could be different thou,

Just out of interest, which shares interest you?

To me, NZ shares are pretty illiquid apart from TEL,AIA,TLS, and a few others

I dabble in ASX and just look at whats happening in NZX now and again

you could try Westpac and look on the NZX as well

I use Direct Broking only.

You have to be resident of NZ, but they NEVER really check as a local address is the only checking they do.

I trade off shore and in theory am not able to own certain stocks/bonds but do.

NZ runs on trust in these things.

But don't use a full brokerage house as they charge the earth and they make crap recommendations.