Govt Warned Tourism Target Could Be Unachievable

george

Tour operators warn govt tourism target could be unachievable

BANGKOK: -- The government's aim of seeing 13.38 million foreign visitors descend on Thailand this year could be torn to shreds by continuing fears over the December tsunami, the head of the Thai Travel Agents Association (TTAA) warned today.

Mr. Anek Srichiwachat said although some tourism markets, including Scandinavia, Europe, and America, were now picking up, other markets, notably Japan, China, Taiwan and Korea, were still sluggish.

Warning that the Japanese market had been particularly affected by tsunami fears, he said that efforts by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to stimulate the Japanese market would take time to set in.

While expressing confidence that the TAT's domestic tourism target of 76.25 million visits was achievable, he drew a question mark over the foreign visitor target of 13.38 million arrivals, saying that reaching this figure would be difficult despite government efforts to boost visitor arrivals.

"It's a question of feelings", he admitted, adding that "People aren't yet ready to come back."

However, he noted that a focus on the huge and lucrative Chinese market would do much to revive Thailand's tourism fortunes.

--TNA 2005-05-09

With the 26th being still in "this year", I reckon it will be the busiest time ever for Phuket. International press, every relative of the deceased and people who want to support Phuket WILL make it here.

I hope the owners of Hotels/Guesthouses/Resorts, have a bumper year.

TAT projected arrival stats factor in a high volume of repeat visitors.

Yet, they don't seem to assume finite levels....i.e believing that you'll keep on and on coming back.

How many times do you need to see the Grand Palace - about once ! (Perhaps sex tourists represent the infinite regression they are projecting)

I'm not such an optimist about tourism, I think Middle Eastern and Chinese tourists will demur for now for differing reasons (Islam and Ghosts).

I can't see why European visitors make so much effort frankly. Its a long way.

I've posed the following question ...(sorry Phuket fans!) directly to Tornado before, he said he would answer me here in a serious Forum.

WHY do people go to Phuket anyway?

Ok - if you're in Bangkok, its a nice weekend break - but why would you fly round the world for Phuket !

Patong is a horrible dirtbox of a place, but its one of the few places there to sustain tourists for a week.

Where would you go for days out? (On a vastly overpriced Songthaew)

Karon - nothing there

Fantasea - funny elephants but lousy food

Rawai 'Seashell' Museum - ......nuff said

Am I the only one to think this way? - That the 'Emperor has no clothes' . I don't think its a World Class tourist destination.

Edited by The_Moog

OF COURSE it is unachievable.

who ever calculated that ridiculous high number of arrivals must be the most optimistic person I have ever heard of in my entire life.

back in europe for almost a month now and reading newspapers with travel oriented advertisments every day. NOT A SINGLE THAILAND OFFER!!!

Tour operators and travel agents (german, austrian, swiss) very well know that

1) potential customers expenses are decreasing year by year (latest data of economic growth for germany shows only 0,7%) and

2) it simply is too early to send tourists into regions (Phuket, PhiPhi) where reconstruction by far is not finished yet. Nice beaches, good prices (though no sex tourism) can be found anywhere else europe/middle east as well

Now I do not say that this (tourist agency behaviour) is "fair to Thailand" but - on the other side - I am no tourist agent worker not even a tourist agency owner and I can very well imagine that other destinations are much better sold these days.

TAT should HOPE that arrival figures will recover by 2007. 2005/2006: forget it.

OF COURSE it is unachievable.

who ever calculated that ridiculous high number of arrivals must be the most optimistic person I have ever heard of in my entire life.

back in europe for almost a month now and reading newspapers with travel oriented advertisments every day. NOT A SINGLE THAILAND OFFER!!!

Tour operators and travel agents (german, austrian, swiss) very well know that

1) potential customers expenses are decreasing year by year (latest data of economic growth for germany shows only 0,7%) and

2) it simply is too early to send tourists into regions (Phuket, PhiPhi) where reconstruction by far is not finished yet. Nice beaches, good prices (though no sex tourism) can be found anywhere else europe/middle east as well

Now I do not say that this (tourist agency behaviour) is "fair to Thailand" but - on the other side - I am no tourist agent worker not even a tourist agency owner and I can very well imagine that other destinations are much better sold these days.

TAT should HOPE that arrival figures will recover by 2007. 2005/2006: forget it.

By a strange but genuine coincidence, earlier today I found an article I had torn out of the Bangkok Post, reporting on the government's newly-declared tourism target for 2005. Incidentally, in the article the TAT governer is quoted as expressing concern at their relatively tiny marketing budget of 0.25% of expected revenues, compared to other countries' 3%.

I kept the article at the time because I suspected it would be interesting to refer to again. Five minutes after I read it, the hotel receptionist in Chiang Mai told me that a big typhoon in Phuket had killed 200 people.