New Acer 1810, Problem, Which Consumer Rights?

THAIPHUKET

Just a few days ago bought from SiamTV Chiang Mai the Acer 1810T.

Extremly slow, HD running for ever. SiamTV said it' s normal because of Antivirus scan running. Took it to Acer branch, knowing that without their indorsment of the problem, SiamTV would give me a million more excuses.

After long arguing Acer branch gave me little handwritten note saying it is a software problem.

Back to Siam TV got a new machine.

Running ok, I love the screen and the keyboard.

However, I was less pleased when battery got low and without warning Acer simply shut off!!

Small or big problem?

What are my consumer rights?

( Insider tip wanted for= HOW do you get to see anyone in charge, e.g. a manager in such situations, I never know with what authority my counter part is talking. )

It is doubtful that the Acer does NOT have a low battery alarm. Look at the settings to see if you can find it. What operating system does it have? If it is running Linux, one of the Linux geeks will help you. If Windows, the settings will be found in the control panel under power settings.

Operating system Window 7, genuine CD with Mircrosoft authentication confirmed.

Control panel power has NO option for alert , neither by sound, nor through pop-up window.

Even if speakers where turned off, the pop up should have come up.

Plus it shuts down shortly after I checked the battery gauge which indicated 15% left.

Check that the computer has enough memory. It is common in Thailand for the OEM memory to be stolen by the shop. It should come with at least 1GB and usually 2GB these days.

Turn off or remove any Virus scanners. You can easily install AVIRA later for free over the internet. It is often virus scanners that kill the machine's speed. Especially the big name ones - Norton, Macafee, etc, which are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If it is fitted with a "Thai Special" OS - this usually means one with everything running all at once, dancing teddy bears for screensavers, animated cursors etc. You computer will be so bogged down with all this crap it will hardly work at all. Clue - go to Control Panel, system and Security, SYSTEM. Look here for total memory - and you will often see a testimonial to the idiot that made the Windows "special" e.g. "Windows XP Vista 2015 DarkShadow Limited Edition Plus by Supertosser"

A genuine and NEW PC should not have these problems I am guessing there is something not legit about yours because of the strange response of the Acer service dept.

Oh, a word of advice. You get to see a manager in Thailand by complaining very loudly and refusing to be fobbed off (which Thais won't do - which is why they always get ripped off).

Edited by stolidfeline

Operating system Window 7, genuine CD with Mircrosoft authentication confirmed.

Control panel power has NO option for alert , neither by sound, nor through pop-up window.

Even if speakers where turned off, the pop up should have come up.

Plus it shuts down shortly after I checked the battery gauge which indicated 15% left.

Open control panel, click on hardware and sound then click on power options. There are a number of options there. One of them should allow you to set up warnings.

Did as told. Acer 1810 got as advertised 2GB plus 320 GB memory. I did the authentication of Windows 7 Starter myself, nothing wrong there.

Under Power options couldn't find anything related to a (pop-up) warning which I could activate.

Going back to Acer Branch probably useless. They say again = Acer is responsible for PC, the rest is software, not our job.

( As said before it took me a looooooooooooong argument to get this little unofficial handwritten note which helped to convince SiamTV to give me this new machine, now with the power problem)

I could live with this minor problem, if I were sure not other isssues are lurking somewhere. Just keep me cross-eyed on the power gauge.

Did as told. Acer 1810 got as advertised 2GB plus 320 GB memory. I did the authentication of Windows 7 Starter myself, nothing wrong there.

Under Power options couldn't find anything related to a (pop-up) warning which I could activate.

Going back to Acer Branch probably useless. They say again = Acer is responsible for PC, the rest is software, not our job.

( As said before it took me a looooooooooooong argument to get this little unofficial handwritten note which helped to convince SiamTV to give me this new machine, now with the power problem)

I could live with this minor problem, if I were sure not other isssues are lurking somewhere. Just keep me cross-eyed on the power gauge.

I have an acer and it used to always give a warning, but not since the battery became old and recharged many times, now it only lasts about 45 mins and just cuts off. I am wondering if your battery is original or maybe at fault

Not very likely, one charge last for , never counting, but at least 6 hours.

Internet is the only usage up to now.

And the pop-up flag ought to come up like on my Acer Aspiere One.

Would you smell a bigger problem and if so you think SiamTV simply will take it back?

Did you downloaded the drivers for the notebook from the Acer website? Or did you used the driver CD which came with the notebook? The driver CD which came with the notebook is likely out-dated, you shuld get updated drivers from the Acer website