Study Abroad In Bangkok?

vranish

Howdy folks,

I am an American university student looking to study abroad next year and I am very seriously considering spending a term in Bangkok. My university paid to send me off to an internship in Shanghai last summer (actually working for a Thai company, Charoen Pokphand), and I got bitten by the travel bug. I have done a lot of research about Thailand and Bangkok and quite a bit of forum lurking but it would be really useful if some of the longtime expats here could spare a paragraph of their time to give me some advice.

Some specific questions...

Is there any sort of English-speaking youth/student culture in Bangkok? I feel that most expats are in their thirties or older, much like it was in Shanghai. This is hardly a deal breaker, but it would be nice to know.

How is life in downtown Bangkok, especially the Phra Nakhon district near Thammasat U? Am I going to be able to live in relative comfort affordably? (Where I go to school, $600 US per month for rent is considered cheap; my understanding is that rent is much cheaper in Bangkok but I could be wrong)

How hard is it to get by without speaking Thai? Realistically I will probably never speak it (my attempt at learning Mandarin went poorly).

Is the expat nightlife/culture/community going to be accessible for a 20 year old? Or am I going to be brushed off as some punk kid?

If this wasn't the best/right forum for this, apologies. Any other advice you might have for a kid who wants to see the world, or any questions you might have if you want to start a dialogue would be SO welcome.

Thanks all.

hey,

Yes I am an old guy (45) but came to study in Thailand on the US Gov't's dime in 2003. Take a look at http://www.iie.org for scholarship opportunities abroad. Freeman Asia/Gilman may be an option. There are others as well.

There are plenty of foreign students in Thailand but honestly they are scattered about a variety of schools.

I'll admit that I'm an old fart, so don't qualify as a student. But I've spent a lot of time around Thammasat University, and I've seen quite a number of falang students in university uniforms. They're attending classes there. Some are learning Thai, but others are studying whatever subjects they can in English.

Is there any sort of English-speaking youth/student culture in Bangkok?

Some, obviously. I've also noticed that quite a number are participating in Thai student activities, and overhearing them, often in English. Kinda sharing languages.

How is life in downtown Bangkok, especially the Phra Nakhon district near Thammasat U? Am I going to be able to live in relative comfort affordably?

I wouldn't quite call it "downtown Bangkok" but there's lots of life around that area - it's Banglamphu, with Thanon Phra Arthit, and near to KhaoSan Road, with all its pleasures/annoyances.

I'm sure you can find a place to live quite comfortably, and not expensive. From what I've heard, I'd recommend staying away from university provided accommodation, but if you cross the river into the Phra Pinklao area, there are a good number of inexpensive rooms or condos.

How hard is it to get by without speaking Thai?

Not difficult at all, particularly in the university area, or around the backpacker area right next to Thammasat.

Is the expat nightlife/culture/community going to be accessible for a 20 year old? Or am I going to be brushed off as some punk kid?

Depends whether you're really a punk kid or not! You shouldn't have any difficulty finding people for some nightlife, both local and expat or backpacker.

Great opportunity and learning experience. I think everyone has told you everything you would need to know. I only add that you should get a degree from US rather than Thailand. The value of Thai degree is not very high as compare to US

Thanks. It is just for a term, I will still be getting my degree from USC here in the states.

Did the same and studied here in Thailand... I went to Mahidol Univerity International College and their were quite a few foreign students and the Thai students were all very nice and more than willing to communicate in English.

They were also always inviting me out on the town with them, so you are very likely to spend more time out partying with your Thai freinds than with Expats, but nothing wrong with that at all and you are sure to have a great time.

MUIC is quite far from the "City Center", but from my knowledge if you go to Thamasaat, Chula or Mahidol you should be fine.

So I guess my university added another program, because now I can choose between Thammasat U or Chulalongkorn U.

What are the plusses/minuses of living in the areas where those universities are?

Chula is located closer to the skytrains and Thammasat is located closer to the river and Khao San Rd. I attended Chula for awhile and loved the location.

Is there any sort of English-speaking youth/student culture in Bangkok? I feel that most expats are in their thirties or older, much like it was in Shanghai. This is hardly a deal breaker, but it would be nice to know.

I'm 24 and wish I had studied in bkk a little earlier like you're doing. I assume your main concern with these two questions is that you'll be lonely? There's no need to worry about that in bkk- even if u can't get in with hi-so student crowd (which I know nothing about, even though I've been to bkk 6 times), in khaosan rd or other clubs/bars across the city it will be easy to find friends... just be careful- you sound fairly well-traveled and competent already, but it's easy for naive young kids to get pulled into the wrong crowds.

I interned in phnom penh 2 years ago while in law school... that city was not fun in terms of nightlife- the khmer don't seem to socialize much and if they do, it's just privately in their homes. my school gave me $100 a night for lodging, so i bet you can imagine i had some fun with that :) (especially since the hotel i stayed at was 8$ a night :D ) Anyway, be careful about making any strong connections with a lady friend in bkk, it will probably end up in more heartache than joy in the end at this stage in your life.