Giant Music Party Huay Tung Tao Saturday 27/2

realthaideal

Hey guys. Have you heard about this giant music and party event this Saturday 2/27 at Hauy Tung Tao ? I think it's a pretty cool attempt at doing something fun and enjoying the weather while bringing ppl together.

It's a first attempt by several bars in town organizing to do something different and big for everyone. It's more than a one off. Four of the bars in the Reggae Rasta Bar areas off Rathwithi are closing that day and taking all of their staff and drinks up to the lake. The event runs from 7pm till late/ early Sun am. It's an official event with permits, food and drinks all night, a 20 meter long bar, drink specials, 3 different bands playing Ska, Rock, Latin, and Isaan fusion tunes. There will also be 3 DJ's spinning all night. it's bound to be one of the biggest events to come along in awhile. I'm just worried they haven't canvased the town well enough.

There's also been a shuttle organized from the rasta bar area starting at 7p so you don't have to drive up there if you don't want to. The shuttle should be running ppl up every half hour or so, with focus on coming back down beginning at 1 am.

There's gonna be Thai food, Farang food, kebabs, Horeca's even doing some of the food provisions.

Tickets are 200B / person and are available at Roots Rock Reggae, Cafe Del Sol, Babylon, and Zoe in Yellow bars. I'm not sure about all the places, but I know Zoe in Yellow's running a special right now for anyone who comes to purchase a ticket tonight (Wed's.) or tmw (Thurs.), They'll sell you a first drink at half off as a thank you. I often stop by for the thurs buffet, so I'll be getting mine then.

What I like about this event is that (rumor has it) these bars have gone out on a limb n put up over 150K baht into making this a big successful event. That's some initiative. Also these guys all tend to attract a nice blend of locals, tourists, hippies, regular working stiffs, Farang, Thais, and even gays and straights. And a good looking crowd at that ! Anyway, I'm hoping it comes off well for them.

They're calling it "Smile Party" Chiang Mai if you can find one of the black posters around town with details.

And of course, no, RTD isn't connected with this event other than being an enthused CM citizen happy to see people cooperating instead of trying to just copy each other. This event really shows some dedication. I'm no raver, but I'm gonna go just to have a few drinks, see how their first event goes, and show my support.

Sounds a fun event.   I hope the BiB don't take advantage of the one road out, & set up a check point with their breathalisers & drug testing kits.....  Not that I imagine anyone would be planning on drinking & driving or partaking of any illegal mind altering substances, because that would be illegal  :)

does look really good this and i think part of the reason for it being marketed quite quietly is to lessen the BIB influence on things. it's been heavily promoted on facebook and has attracted a decent number of confirmed attendees on there.

i'm wondering whereabouts in huay thung tao it is going to be, is it in one of the car parks there or something? i.e. is it actually within the 'pay' bit of the lake resort itself?

Is it a for-runner of the Chiang Mai Beach Festival, a 2 day-2night festivity?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=h#!...AL/357050333184

Chiang Mai is one of the most visited province during Songkran (12-15 April 2010).

The first edition of CHIANG MAI BEACH FESTIVAL happens on Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 April 2010 in Huey Tueng Tao (only 10 minutes driving from Chiang Mai city).

It’s a 2 days musical and cultural event with the most famous Hip Hop band in Thailand (THAITANIUM) and more than 60 others international artists and performers.

CHIANG MAI BEACH FESTIVAL includes video projections on giant screen, professional sound system and laser show, art exhibitions, workshops, healing village, ecological installations, chillout, daytime activities, games, food stands, camping and much more...

CHIANG MAI BEACH FESTIVAL is presented by a professional team with 13 years experience and more than 300 events around the world.

Our objectives are to give to the public an environmental escape, to create a space for the living arts where audience, artists, dancers and spectators can all play together. Foreigners will discover local customs and music while local visitors will gain knowledges with various activities and performances all day long.

CHIANG MAI BEACH FESTIVAL supports ecological and environmental associations.

Hey RTD, thanks for that!

I'll be sure to check it out.

Sounds like a CM Woodstock, but with hip-hop, reggae and DJ's playing house.

Cool.

I'll fire up the Hummer, and take my private militia along for security.... :D

(translation- I'll take the Wave, get my helmet stolen, and have to piss into a cup at a checkpoint). :)

Shuttle idea sounds fantastic, but I live just south of the lake, so I'll take my chances.

Will definitely attend. :D

Huay Tung Thao is one of my favorite places in Chiang Mai. It's a nice 4.5 km walk (or drive) around the lake with lots of places to eat or enjoy the countryside. swimming is pretty good for those that like the water...

The turn off to the lake is 7 km along hwy 121 from the road that goes up Doi Suthep. It's well past the sports complex. If I ain't fishing I'll try to make it.

Huay Tung Thao is one of my favorite places in Chiang Mai too.

I'm friends with Zoe in Yellow on Facebook and this is what my invitation said: "This will be one to tell the Grandkids guys! 4 of the most popular bars in Chiang Mai- Roots Rock Reggae, Babylon, Zoe in Yellow, & Cafe Del Sol- have teamed together along with the best bands and DJs to create this AMAZING party! Tickets are 200 baht including transportation and can be purchased in advance at any of the 4 participating bars. There will be delicious food to nibble on served all night. 4 rockin' bands with the likes of Isaan Boonhugsa, taking the stage at 9:30pm followed by Boy Blues, Civilization, and the fabulous latin stylee of Nok and La Fiesta. To keep everyone dancing til the sun comes up will be DJ's Sean, Russel, Tyson, Who DJ, and DJ Caspar spinning nothing but the best Hip Hop, Electro-House, Drum & Bass, & Reggae. Fire performances, exotic cocktails, and numerous other tricks and treats sure to satisfy!"

Also, the link I was invited through (which I'm not allowed to post here) has more and different people than the one quoted above. Should be a great time and looks like a good turn out! I'm going for the good party as well as to support the community concept behind this event. See you Saturday :-)

I've got my ticket, looking forward to it!

I remember a few years back there used to be a party at an old "wild west" style house about 20km out of town, was alway a good laugh.

Hopefully this one goes down well and is made a regular event.

It sounds like this will be the biggest and best one in this same spot in the last maybe 8 months as this one has been marketed much better than the previous 2 or more in this same location.

"people cooperating instead of trying to just copy each other." Hahaa! Yes at least the third one of these parties in this same location in the last year and each has been hosted by different people.. Does "Small Talk", or "Buffalo Party" sound familiar? Exact same idea in the same location in late 2009. The previous ones were on Buddha days when bars had to close anyways, but I believe that this is actually a day before a Buddha day, isn't it? Well they may save some money on not having to pay the BIB to let them run it on a holiday but it might prove to be counter-productive if everybody gets hassled by the BiB before, during and after if they cut them out completely. The other parties didn't have any trouble with police even while driving home which was nice but they were definitely getting their cut.

Edited by blakegeee

Was worried all the old farts on tv were gonna hassle a fun event... glad to see so much support. Even from an OG - Original Geezer - like McGriffith.

It's Thurs night n I'm off to go grab my discount drink n pick up my ticket for Sat. Yeeh-haw !

It's a nice 4.5 km walk..

as a frequent jogger at that place i would say its a 3.7 km :)

Unless the speedometer is wrong on both my motorcycles I'll stick by my measurement. I originally guessed it at 4 km by the speed I usually walk, but I often stop for photos and wanted to know for certain.

Last night I was told that yes, they'll be selling tickets at the event itself. They know there will be late comers and ppl who have been too busy to drop by the bar area this week.

McG, you and Ian are two of the oldest teenagers I know.

Ahhhh. Belly full of some 5 Star Chicken (Ha Daow) and some sticky rice. Now it's nap time before I head to the reggae bars to catch the van up to Huay Tung Tao. Yeah, a silly plug, but why not ? Anyway, from what I heard around at the Tuskers Party last ngiht, quite a few folks - local and ppl passing thru - are gonna be there tonight. I wish these guys success. I know they've been cooking away, and setting up tents n stages out in the sun the last couple days to make it happen.

Btw... I also suggested they get the block-of-ice shot-shooter thing going. Hope that happens. You can thank me later.

RTD