Marriage

hello sport fans.............hope everyone is okay...

Im getting married in Thailand in June and need my docs stamping by the British embassy. I know its first come first serve, so what time should I get there? 4am, 6am, 9am, 12pm?

I know the docs then need translating so I guess thats easy enough.

Next trick is the MFA, is that also first come first serve? Again if so, what time does one recommend I get there?

Whole situation.......is it easy enough? :o

Thanks for the help...

JT

hello sport fans.............hope everyone is okay...

Im getting married in Thailand in June and need my docs stamping by the British embassy. I know its first come first serve, so what time should I get there? 4am, 6am, 9am, 12pm?

I know the docs then need translating so I guess thats easy enough.

Next trick is the MFA, is that also first come first serve? Again if so, what time does one recommend I get there?

Whole situation.......is it easy enough? :o

Thanks for the help...

JT

MMMmmm I take it by Docs Stamping you mean

"Affirmation of freedom to marry"

this form can be downloaded from the fco website.

From memory you must have this typed out and then someone will stamp it for you for a modest fee at wireless rd.

I seem to remember that they have introduced times for this service, the wise thing to do would be to e,mail them . They are very helpful

Must admit couldn't be bothered to do everything myself. Only paid about 35 quid for lady from one of the translation offices near the embassy to do everything. Filled forms, went to embassy with us, took us to amphurs office, got everything translated and back to hotel. I just sat and signed things. :o

Hi Bubbles,

The documents are stamped etc. by the consular section, so you don't need to join the visa queue. In my experience the wait for consular services has never been that long. The office opens, I believe, at 08:00 but you can drift in any time you like until it closes (12:00?)

Scouse.

Hi, I obtained the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry certificate last year from the British Embassy. Like many things from the Consular Section I have found it is usually a 24 hour service - docs submitted on day one, collect on day 2. However, if you speak to the staff nicely, in advance by email for example, you may get a same day service. Hope this helps.

I did all this recently, and it's not really difficult. Printed out my own affirmation, based on the model available from the Embassy website (being careful to put the relevant embassy visit date on it) before I left Blighty. Signed it before the lady at the window in the consular section, paid (I think) 2,300 Baht, and was told to collect it after the Easter break (normally next day, I believe) Next, over the footbridge to one of the many translation agencies on the far corner of Sukhumvit; cost 300 Baht, and took about 20 minutes. Next day, a bit of a trek to the Thai MoFA to have the translation verified (as required by the Amphur); I was told to take the Skytrain to the end of the line at Mo Chit and motorbike from there, but with hindsight a taxi would have been much better. To save time, take a photocopy of your passport (and original, to be safe), go to the third floor (not the ground floor, where I waited like a prat before someone took pity), take a ticket, and when your turn comes you'll be given a short form to fill in. When you've filled it in, submit it along with your dosh. I paid 800 Baht for the same-day service, and was told to come back about 2 hours later. Plenty of eating places just around the corner, to pass the time.

Got spliced in my tee rak's home town, registered it at the amphur, had a translation done back in Bangkok, and that's basically it. The most time consuming bit was the Thai MoFA, and to be frank there isn't a lot of info in English, so maybe that's where an agent would come into their own. Chog Dee Mak.

Hi Bubbles,

The documents are stamped etc. by the consular section, so you don't need to join the visa queue. In my experience the wait for consular services has never been that long. The office opens, I believe, at 08:00 but you can drift in any time you like until it closes (12:00?)

Scouse.

Hi Bubbles

as the good scouse says above it's a consular section item. I recently got married (This Feb) up in the north in Chiang Mai which has a consular section. Pleasent setting and no ques. Very quick! Just makes sure you have completed the affirmation to marry form which can be found on the embassy web site prior to attending.:o

Regards Janner