After April Violence Lesson, Thai Govt Taking No Chances Today

webfact

JUDGEMENT DAY

After April violence lesson, govt taking no chances today

By Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- On the eve of "Judgement Day" for ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, the government was keeping its guard high yesterday.

Although the red shirts said their next major rally would be two weeks away and they would leave the court alone today, it appears the government is not taking any chances.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders is scheduled to read its verdict this afternoon in the Bt76-billion assets-seizure case against Thaksin, who is viewed as the de-facto opposition leader.

Abhisit Vejjajiva's administration is now better prepared than in April last year, when a large part of the protesting red shirts staged violent protests that turned into riots in many areas of the city.

Acting government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said the authorities would closely monitor developments for four to five hours after the judges hand down their decision.

"Four to five hours after the verdict is read, they [the red shirts] may open a forum for discussion. That's when we have to take special attention. Tempers may surge to the highest level," said Panitan, who is also the PM's deputy secretary-general.

At least 600 police and military officers, and thousands more reinforcements, will be employed to keep law and order in and around the court today, although no severe incidents are expected, a government source said yesterday.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau has deployed 450 anti-riot policemen as part of increased security measures in the court's compound, the source said.

In case of emergency, 300 reinforcements will be available in 30 minutes. If additional back-up were needed, 1,500 more policemen and another 1,900 crowd-control policewomen would be dispatched within 90 minutes, according to the source.

Two companies of soldiers, or about 300, will be on standby to assist police when required although the Army has ordered 35 companies to be ready for action, said the source.

The government's recently formed Committee to Monitor Security-related Situations, headed by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, will convene to discuss what to do if there is a large demonstration or an extreme incident today. "But up until now, no such incident is expected," the source said.

The source expects the committee to convene before March 12, when the pro-Thaksin red shirts plan a major rally. Suthep said yesterday he had not called a meeting of the security monitoring committee.

Suthep met for about an hour yesterday afternoon with Special Branch police commander Lt-General Tritos Ronnarithichai and National Intelligence Agency director Suwapan Tanyuwathana at Government House. The deputy PM said afterwards the meeting involved routine instructions.

The office of Suthep's situation monitoring panel is at Army headquarters. It consists of four groups: the administration, including Cabinet members and permanent secretaries; security agencies, including the armed forces and police; legal-affairs agencies, including the Office of the Attorney-General and the Council of State; and the civil service, including the Public Relations Department, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, the National Security Council and the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc).

According to its line of command, the security monitoring committee reports to Suthep on latest updates. In case of extreme incidents, the panel's chairman informs the prime minister, in his capacity as Isoc national director. To respond to the situation, the PM may call a meeting of Cabinet to enforce the Internal Security Act or issue an emergency decree.

For the provinces, the security monitoring panel's structure empowers regional Army commanders, regional Isoc directors and provincial governors to prepare action plans to defend state agencies in their areas.

The provincial governors, as the Isoc chiefs of their respective provinces, have the power to make necessary orders to state agencies in their provinces without the need to wait for instructions from the government.

Suthep, as the panel's chairman, called a meeting of provincial governors on Wednesday to discuss Isoc's action plans against security threats for the provinces, according to the source.

The deputy premier instructed the governors to take special care over the next couple of days, particularly with regard to any public demonstrations in their provinces, the source said. The governors were told to maintain order in state agencies and to resort to negotiations, not use of force, in dealing with protesters.

The governors were asked to coordinate with the police and the military in ensuring safety during demonstrations by the red shirts and trying to prevent them from moving their protests to Bangkok , according to the source.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

TAN NEWS: Media circus around Supreme Court started gathering since 6 A.M. this morning; more than 30,000 security officials on duty nationwide. Traffic around court still normal; officials suggest spectators use public transportation; heavy traffic expected on Ratchadamnoen Ave.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-02-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The evrdict will be this afternoon. They will first start with the reading, which could take a long time if they follow the procedure as they did in other cases where they gave a very extensive explantion of their reasoning. So it can take a long time before they will handown their vedict.

Crowd Control Police WOMEN? Is this special task unit using different tactics on seducing and controlling the crowd?

Anyone know what time the verdict is?

Hmmm, somehow I doubt it.... Though I think Thai police women in their uniforms are quite attractive, I think in tactical gear hard to tell them apart....

I hope that whatever the verdict everything remains calm...

Grace

If the funds are taken and the Reds come out, I believe that if any protests take place the police will handle quickly to break things up.... but what happens if the money isn't seized and the yellow shirts come out?

Will they be given free reign to do what ever they want again? Will the police do their job this time around or will it be hands off and will they let the mob rule again?

or....

Is it just a forgone conclusion tha the funds will be seized?

Edited by CWMcMurray

Sure, reds remember real bullets in April, as well.

One thing is clear. The verdict will be not unanimous. Judges will vote 7: 2 or even worse, 5: 4. That will show how much nation is divided.

As we saw in recent news, 2 of them were looking for “safe house”, as way to have conditions for righteous decision... It means there was some pressure upon them. The song remains the same. They are not independent as they should to be. Tries to control judges is “normal” in this situation. It’s expected.

What worried me was what I saw on ASTV. So much like Goebbels was doing. There is Mr. Thaksin showed with some hat like the Kings have. My Thai friends confirmed it is hat what Kings wear. That was direct message to all viewers that Thaksin intend to become a king here. Same spot showed ex PM in hug of some Cambodia politician. Between the lines-he was accused as traitor. Unbelievable!

That is so dirty propaganda and extremely flammable. Eastern Europe had similar methods in media, in fighting against oppositions.

It is PRESURE upon judges, too.

It is washing brain, suggesting to watchers conclusion and it is dirty game, dirty propaganda. Something like that we saw in “Wag the dog” movie.

It is putting oil to the fire. That kind of clips could cause civil war so easy. It is open call for hate, for dividing nation.

Why it is allowed-I have no idea. In this kind of situation, when all should to be wise and calm, this spot of ASTV is pure evilness, insanity. Just like that.

No need for such a thing. Reds already remember April and they know as well, this PM is so easy on trigger. He allowed using real bullets against protestors in April. Reds got the lesson as well. So what’s the call from ASTV?

One thing is clear. The verdict will be not unanimous. Judges will vote 7: 2 or even worse, 5: 4. That will show how much nation is divided.

As we saw in recent news, 2 of them were looking for "safe house", as way to have conditions for righteous decision... It means there was some pressure upon them. The song remains the same. They are not independent as they should to be. Tries to control judges is "normal" in this situation. It's expected.

What worried me was what I saw on ASTV. So much like Goebbels was doing. There is Mr. Thaksin showed with some hat like the Kings have. My Thai friends confirmed it is hat what Kings wear. That was direct message to all viewers that Thaksin intend to become a king here. Same spot showed ex PM in hug of some Cambodia politician. Between the lines-he was accused as traitor. Unbelievable!

That is so dirty propaganda and extremely flammable. Eastern Europe had similar methods in media, in fighting against oppositions.

It is washing brain, suggesting to watchers conclusion and it is dirty game, dirty propaganda. Something like that we saw in "Wag the dog" movie.

It is putting oil to the fire. That kind of clips could cause civil war so easy. It is open call for hate, for dividing nation.

Why it is allowed-I have no idea. In this kind of situation, when all should to be wise and calm, this spot of ASTV is pure evilness, insanity. Just like that.

No need for such a thing. Reds already remember April and they know as well, this PM is so easy on trigger. He allowed using real bullets against protestors in April. Reds got the lesson as well. So what's the call from ASTV?

I'm sure the reds do remember real bullets in April, after all, they were loading them into their guns. Almost a year later, we're still waiting for all the movies shot on mobile phones (as per the Iranian protests), the families looking for their missing members, and the bullet holes to show up on trees, bridges and buildings.

And we get yet another call for the censorship of Thaksin nastiness. Are you trying to tell us he never wore the hat that made him look like a king? What was going through his mind when he wore it? Are you trying to tell us he never embraced Hun Sen? Did ASTV fabricate this footage? That would be a serious allegation, akin to fabricating Abhisit's voice on a CD.

Your post is a load of tripe. I don't suppose you have evidence of any of the above?

As we saw in recent news, 2 of them were looking for "safe house", as way to have conditions for righteous decision... It means there was some pressure upon them. The song remains the same. They are not independent as they should to be. Tries to control judges is "normal" in this situation. It's expected.

It is washing brain, suggesting to watchers conclusion and it is dirty game, dirty propaganda. Something like that we saw in "Wag the dog" movie.

No need for such a thing. Reds already remember April and they know as well, this PM is so easy on trigger. He allowed using real bullets against protestors in April. Reds got the lesson as well. So what's the call from ASTV?

Have you not seen the red shirt channels? hate mongoring regional and class divissionary calls for revolution and abolishion of the monarchy.

Thaksin side with cambodia (hun sen the guy you probably saw) and (while in power) tried to give away thai land to cambodia so he can enrich himself more from oil contracts; so he is traitor who show how he would like to be prime minister for life at any cost, so what you infered from the pictures you saw is infact prity close to the reality of it.

noby die in april from army bullets; only people die was shot by red shirts for tell them get out their nieghbourhood! How many could have died if those petrol tankers blew up?!

More than 3000 die under thaksin gov. with out trail

Have you not seen the red shirt channels? hate mongoring regional and class divissionary calls for revolution and abolishion of the monarchy.

Thaksin side with cambodia (hun sen the guy you probably saw) and (while in power) tried to give away thai land to cambodia so he can enrich himself more from oil contracts; so he is traitor who show how he would like to be prime minister for life at any cost, so what you infered from the pictures you saw is infact prity close to the reality of it.

:) I am aside of all. All I wish and pray for is to be peace here, in really wonderful land but…

I didn’t see any red channel showing dirty propaganda clips, as dirty as this one on ASTV. I could allow that I am not well informed about red channels-as I can’t understand Thai language and they just talk and talk and talk, all the time-as I saw. Possibly, some of reds spoke or speaking flammable way but that is PERSONAL attitude and wrong (if you say they do it). The problem is ASTV is NOT private TV so responsibility for hate they show in spot is higher...If you are Thai, I admit you know the things better then I do but that what I saw is something I was living at my country so I can recognize dirty propaganda.

My opinion is: THAIS have many ways to solve the problem and they will do the best they can so the farangs should mind their own business. I would not comment anything about it but that what I saw ASTV doing is madness. Whoever doing the same-I will think the same but you have to prove me red TV do the same ( I don’t believe they do it as I didn’t see anything similar as on ASTV).

Let me ask you, please. Can you show where you get 3000 people died under Thaksin? This is monstrous if truth. If truth, I don’t understand why anyone talking about his MONEY or assets?

So, I am waiting you show where you get that data 3000 died, in time he was PM. If you don’t prove it- I will say you are avoiding truth and you are just talking as you dislike him.

Thanks.

:) I am aside of all. All I wish and pray for is to be peace here, in really wonderful land but…

I didn’t see any red channel showing dirty propaganda clips, as dirty as this one on ASTV. I could allow that I am not well informed about red channels-as I can’t understand Thai language and they just talk and talk and talk, all the time-as I saw. Possibly, some of reds spoke or speaking flammable way but that is PERSONAL attitude and wrong (if you say they do it). The problem is ASTV is NOT private TV so responsibility for hate they show in spot is higher...If you are Thai, I admit you know the things better then I do but that what I saw is something I was living at my country so I can recognize dirty propaganda.

My opinion is: THAIS have many ways to solve the problem and they will do the best they can so the farangs should mind their own business. I would not comment anything about it but that what I saw ASTV doing is madness. Whoever doing the same-I will think the same but you have to prove me red TV do the same ( I don’t believe they do it as I didn’t see anything similar as on ASTV).

Let me ask you, please. Can you show where you get 3000 people died under Thaksin? This is monstrous if truth. If truth, I don’t understand why anyone talking about his MONEY or assets?

So, I am waiting you show where you get that data 3000 died, in time he was PM. If you don’t prove it- I will say you are avoiding truth and you are just talking as you dislike him.

Thanks.

ASTV is a private TV station. Look at TOC it is in English, I can't find much hate there....

2800+ are the killings in the war against drugs. 50 % did not have anything to do with drugs and consider that if someone has half a gram Marijuana than he is already in the bad guy 50 %.

Google for it.....there are millions of pages about it. Even he spoke himself in a very proud way about it.

Thanks.

You never heard of Thaksin's 'War on Drugs' ? :)

Many of us agree with you that it was monstrous. :D

noby die in april from army bullets; only people die was shot by red shirts for tell them get out their nieghbourhood! How many could have died if those petrol tankers blew up?!

And how many could die if the army was fired in mass, not in the air? How many tankers could explode from ricochets, firing in the air? :)

Generally speaking i am against any violence but i am surprised some democrat can order to open fire to the people, with real bullets. There are many other ways (ruber bullets i. e. to stop violence to escalate).

Thanks.

You never heard of Thaksin's 'War on Drugs' ? :)

I really apology for my wondering about died people in war of drugs. I really didn't know this things. I told, i am trying to be aside of all of this but i am surprised then why Thais (or any other) commenting his money at all?

More effective to fight against that man would be to show clips about war drugs and how many people died in time he was PM. I think to open eyes to people about THIS would be more effective.

Sory once again, i never heard of war of drugs and his role in that war.

Thanks.

You never heard of Thaksin's 'War on Drugs' ? :D

I really apology for my wondering about died people in war of drugs. I really didn't know this things. I told, i am trying to be aside of all of this but i am surprised then why Thais (or any other) commenting his money at all?

More effective to fight against that man would be to show clips about war drugs and how many people died in time he was PM. I think to open eyes to people about THIS would be more effective.

:D:D:D

Well, i googled right now and found what shocked me. Ther was always story as reds are not well educated people and yellows are well educated.

I found the link on youtube what yellows did about airport situation.

So, there were some animals ( sory to use that word) SHOOTING to other side. Some 5 of them. Using revolvers. Yellow ribbons around arms.

So, if you are telling me reds killed some people in April, so the army used real bullets it is something cruel. But after i saw yellows shooting i will pull back my apology. I am really not well informed but about yellows and their using, shooting to the people(reds i guess or citizens who wanted get rid of them from neighbourhood???!!!)

Geeez...I give up...Too complicated to form opinion at all.

Just to PRAY all will be in peace. So sad...

:)

And how many could die if the army was fired in mass, not in the air? How many tankers could explode from ricochets, firing in the air? :)

Generally speaking i am against any violence but i am surprised some democrat can order to open fire to the people, with real bullets. There are many other ways (ruber bullets i. e. to stop violence to escalate).

Army fired in mass?

You refer to which incident?

in April the Army fired without bullets, these things the use for exercises. That is confirmed from many international reporters which were very welcome to make videos from everything.

There were only a few real bullets shot, for example when the red tried to crash a bus into the army. But no deads.

The reds tried to tell about hundred deads. But could not name anyone, could not show any pictures and all the people who were there did not see any dead people.

the only problem a second time the same trick won't work.

Thanks.

You never heard of Thaksin's 'War on Drugs' ? :D

:D:D:D

Well, i googled right now and found what shocked me. Ther was always story as reds are not well educated people and yellows are well educated.

I found the link on youtube what yellows did about airport situation.

So, there were some animals ( sory to use that word) SHOOTING to other side. Some 5 of them. Using revolvers. Yellow ribbons around arms.

So, if you are telling me reds killed some people in April, so the army used real bullets it is something cruel. But after i saw yellows shooting i will pull back my apology. I am really not well informed but about yellows and their using, shooting to the people(reds i guess or citizens who wanted get rid of them from neighbourhood???!!!)

Geeez...I give up...Too complicated to form opinion at all.

Just to PRAY all will be in peace. So sad...

:)

you saw which video?

This with the pickup? A friend of us was there.... No one died.

Situation was there the thugs stopped a pickup to beat the people. Like they did it half an hour before. But this time that were other guys, who obviously overreacted.

If that is shocking you, than look into the case of the killed guy in Chang Mai (or was it Chang Rai??) where the red beat an old man to dead while the police was watching it.