Driving License In Thailand

I have read numerous threads on this forum on how to acquire a Thai driving license. All of them suggests that the process involves a document that serves as proof of address. Now, that's where this goes all wrong.

I am currently at the Immigration Office in Laksi, and I have involved more or less every single soul including security guards and immigration officers and NOONE has a clue what I am talking about.

Is there anyone who has done this before and can shed some light on which document is ACTUALLY required for this, there sure as hel_l aint anything called "proof of address"-document or certificate?

Breathe....breathe.....breathe.....

:)

I went to immigration office with:

1. passport and copy 2 pages (photo and visa)

2. chanot and copy(girl friend) or her blue book

3. two pics as for visa

they gave me the form, i filled it out, paid 200 baht

that is all

immigration office of pattaya - let they call there

Documents needed:

1. passport with the visa

2. workpermit, proof of address

3. medical check-up

if you have international license, translate first and stamp, that way you dont have to do the normal procedures.

i guess what other mean by proof of living is from you embassy, certified by immi office. correct me if i'm wrong.

It is called a "Receipt of Notification of Alien's Address" and to get one you need to get a copy of your landlord's ID card as well as a copy of a page from the landlord's registration book. These copies must be signed by the landlord, in blue ink (the authorities can get fussy about the blue ink bit).

Also note that to get a driving license you will need a non-immigrant visa, O or B, as I don't know of any DLT office that will issue a license on a tourist visa.

It is called a "Receipt of Notification of Alien's Address" and to get one you need to get a copy of your landlord's ID card as well as a copy of a page from the landlord's registration book. These copies must be signed by the landlord, in blue ink (the authorities can get fussy about the blue ink bit).

Also note that to get a driving license you will need a non-immigrant visa, O or B, as I don't know of any DLT office that will issue a license on a tourist visa.

Depending on where you are in Thailand, all the above could be a load of crap.

If you're out in the boonies and the driver's license staff don't know about the form, then forget it! Just give them what they ask for. In my case, they only wanted a copy of my passport---no WP, no "address form", no driver's test, nothing else.

Find out from your LOCAL office what they want, and then fly with it. In this case, too much research (online, friends in other locations, etc.) can just add to the confusion.

K-I-S-S

OK, many thanks for the information regarding the "Receipt of Notification of Aliens Address", that raised a couple of eyebrowses.

However, this document can NOT be issued by immigration unless you have stayed in Thailand for a period exceeding the 90 days allowed (non-immigrant visa and WP) and have registered an address during such occasion.

In conclusion, if you fly in and out of Thailand on a regular basis (in my case in the line of work), thus removing the need to register with immigration, then you can NOT get this certificate. Or, to put it in simple words, if you have overstayed at least once and registered at the immigration office they will issue the document, otherwise you will have to visit your embassy. Obviously I tried to register even though my last entry occurred three weeks ago, but they wouldn't allow me - that would have made thing easy, where do you think you are..?

It's taken me the better part of the day to find which place to go to, the address, and the ACTUAL location, only to end up with zip. Well well, at least I now have a seriously good reason to sit down in a bar somewhere for a cold one. As for the proof of address, I don't give a flying fig about that until tomorrow...

Thanks all!

breathe....breathe....breathe...think of all pros with Thailand....forget the occasional downside....breathe....find bar....say "bia singh krup!"....breathe.....

Edited by Forethat

However, this document can NOT be issued by immigration unless you have stayed in Thailand for a period exceeding the 90 days allowed (non-immigrant visa and WP) and have registered an address during such occasion.

I got it having 30 day stamp as any Russians. 5 days of staying were left.

Find out from your LOCAL office what they want, and then fly with it. In this case, too much research (online, friends in other locations, etc.) can just add to the confusion.

That right there is best advice ever given on Thaivisa, and the answer to most questions when trying to do anything at a government office of any kind in Thailand whether it be drivers licenses, immigration issues, buying cars, getting a loan, transferring green books, registering a motorbike or dealing in properties. There is no one answer. 10 different people will give you 10 different descriptions of their experiences, which will be different than what is "officially" required. The only requirements common to all are a smile and a lot of patience.

If you can find one with good reliable references, I have found it extremely helpful to employ a Thai proxy that deals with the local offices.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Got one the other day from the Aussie embassy = you just turn up to your embassy with passport in hand and sign a statuory declaration that you are living in Thailand - easy take that with a doctors certificate and your home driving licence to the motor/driving office and you'll have licence in an hour or so