Tourist Assistance Center Set Up In Bangkok 12-23 March

webfact

Tourist Assistance Center set up upon UDD’s mass rally

BANGKOK (NNT) -– Related sectors have joined hands to set up the National Tourists Assistance Center to facilitate tourists during the upcoming mass demonstration of the anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD).

According to Deputy Permanent Secretary for Tourism and Sports, Thanittha Maneechote, the center will facilitate and assist foreign tourists around the clock from negative effects of the mass rally.

The center will operate from 12 to 23 March 2010, until the end of the Internal Security Act enforcement.

More tourist police will be dispatched to three main venues where there are a number of tourists, including the Sanam Luang and Grand Palace areas, Khao San Road, as well as from Siam Paragon Shopping Complex to Silom Road.

More information will be available at call center 1672 of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and 1155 of the Tourist Police.

The operation of the center is in cooperation of many related agencies, including the TAT, the Tourist Police, the General Insurance Association, the Tourism Council of Thailand, the Thai Hotels Association (THA), and the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA).

Meanwhile, TAT Deputy Governor for International Marketing (Asia and South Pacific) Sansern Ngaorungsi stated that the center would print 200,000 leaflets recommending travel routes and attractions for tourists coming to Thailand during the period.

He said the THA would help distribute them to tourists via hotels accordingly.

In addition, Mr Sansern said he was now asking the Immigration Bureau to help hand out the leaflets to tourists from the immigration process.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-03-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

IMPORTANT INFO FOR FOREIGNERS LIVING IN THAILAND

As an expat you are advised to follow the developing news for your security!

Follow the Breaking News updates via Thaivisa:

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or

handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service, email

[email protected]

OR follow us:

- Via Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/farang

- Via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/georgebkk

:) Will the airport be a safe zone for my thai partner who is coming to Melbourne on March 22 from Bangkok on March 21st on Jet Star ...........how badly timed is that! I do worry as he will be travelling alone with little english and doubt whether Jet/No Star do refunds if things go pear shaped....also doubt whether Aus Embassy will offer him another 6 month tourist visa if he cant catch his plane, he does have both a ticket and a visa but think there are restrictions with the ticket and dates...Dukkha

So i take it then that Nana Soi Cowboy etc etc business as normal ,????

and we dont need a safe zone ?

God I luv this place ,colino

So the only thing left for visitors to worry about is pickpockets, hustlers and being ripped off by taxi drivers - oops no that should be a problem as most of them will be at the demo!

I have friends going on holiday there arriving Monday so hope the predictions that it will have settled down by then are true

I just came across this map that TAT issued today, showing "Safe Zones" that are apparently being protected for tourists, and also "Routes to Avoid" and "Recommended Routes".

I'm sure those maps will mean alot to tourists.

:) Will the airport be a safe zone for my thai partner who is coming to Melbourne on March 22 from Bangkok on March 21st on Jet Star ...........how badly timed is that! I do worry as he will be travelling alone with little english and doubt whether Jet/No Star do refunds if things go pear shaped....also doubt whether Aus Embassy will offer him another 6 month tourist visa if he cant catch his plane, he does have both a ticket and a visa but think there are restrictions with the ticket and dates...Dukkha

1) March 22 is over a week away. No one has any idea what the state of affairs will be by then.

2) If Jetstar cancel flights, then they will offer alternatives. If they don't cancel, but he can't get there ... don't like your chances.

3) If he has a 6 month tourist visa, then he has 6 months to use it.

My 73 yo mum is in Thailand, up Chiang Mai way at the moment. Arriving back into Bangkok by train on the 14th and flying back to Melbourne on about the 25th. I hope things have calmed down by then, cos I want to make sure she gets out of here.

1) March 22 is over a week away. No one has any idea what the state of affairs will be by then.

2) If Jetstar cancel flights, then they will offer alternatives. If they don't cancel, but he can't get there ... don't like your chances.

3) If he has a 6 month tourist visa, then he has 6 months to use it.

My 73 yo mum is in Thailand, up Chiang Mai way at the moment. Arriving back into Bangkok by train on the 14th and flying back to Melbourne on about the 25th. I hope things have calmed down by then, cos I want to make sure she gets out of here.

:D Thanks Peter for taking the time and effort to list alternatives....being a panic merchant does not help me of course....Dukkha :D

Hotline centre set up to aid tourists

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry set up the Tourist Assistance Centre and open call centre 1672 to serve tourists around the clock.

Minister Chumphol Silapa-archa said the centre is located at the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Petchburi road.

Tourists can go to the centre or call the Hotline number if having any problems incurred by the protests. Moreover, the Tourist Police has set up three offices at Khaosarn road, Lumpini Park and Wat Phra Kaew.

Fuel station operators nationwide could close down stations if red shirt protests get serious, said Department of Energy Business director general Peerapol Sakarin.

He said that gas and oil fuel transport vehicles should avoid the demonstration routes and should not park at fuel stations or near the demonstration spots.

Fuel traders should prepare energy fuel to prevent the shortage.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]