The 2010 Formula One Season

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you are wrong in your last statement concerning the RBR car being good at qualifying but not really living up to expectations on race day, well it is the same car and engineers are not about to tinker with settings that could have an adverse effect when you have cars sitting on the front row of the grid or very close to it.

my view is that there is a vast difference between racing around a track in qualifying when you do not have to keep looking in your rear views expecting a car to make a move on you, in that scenario you can get the job done in the car that has consistantly been the best all season.

Mark Webber has again in my view shown that he does not quite cut it when he is under racing pressure and he has been guilty of numerous mistakes this season where it appears he has momentarily switched off and I suspect that will be proved in the next couple of races, as for Sebastian I cannot believe that he has not sown the WDC up already, for some inexplicable reason he has certainly under performed this year and as for accusations being bandied about concerning number 1 or number 2 drivers they should stop the bickering and get on with the job they are paid to do, I believe if drivers salaries are not on a par but show considerable difference then that probably gives a clue to whom the team believe is number 1.

I have to say i agree with this. I do think the Red Bulls have had the same potential to be quick on race day as they have in qualifying, but the drivers simply haven't maximized their cars on race day as successfully as they have in qualifying.

And yes, Seb should have sown the WDC up by now, but as well as the mistakes he has made, he has also had quite a bit of bad luck with reliability. Put it this way, if the Red Bull was as reliable as it is fast, i think the WDC would have been sown up by now.

Regarding the point you make about salaries David, are you saying the difference between the two RB drivers is big or small?

Edited by rixalex

Rix, I have not had time to check the salary/retainer figures yet but i'm fairly sure they were put on here and if my memory serves me right there was quite a margin between Mark Webbers money and Sebastians with Mr. Webber on the larger of the two but as I say, I could well have made a mistake during one of my more senior moments.

I did see something the other day in the German newspapers that Shumacher was on the highest salary but Mercedes do not pay him, his money is paid by the sponsors directly.

He is really go get away unharmed from this.

As we know, the flaunting of excess wealth will always grab attention and lead to criminal actions.

Will this mean the end of the Brazilian F1 at this circuit?

cant get better than this, WDC hinges on the last race.

We will probably see a bit of pressure between the 2 RBR cars fighting it out and they will probably take each other out, only to hand everyones favourite driver Alonso take it :whistling:

Edited by Donnyboy

Sounds like it was an exciting race, good win for Vettle, Webber and red bull, pity I missed it. Damm you Chinese TV!!!!! The last race is set to be a ripper. Go Webber.

I missed it live too as I fell asleep on the sofa just before the coverage started and woke up just after the race ended..... Not a happy bunny :annoyed::D!

Managed to watch it the next day though.

As Donnyboy says, Abu Dhabi should be fascinating!

Sounds like it was an exciting race, good win for Vettle, Webber and red bull, pity I missed it. Damm you Chinese TV!!!!! The last race is set to be a ripper. Go Webber.

I missed it live too as I fell asleep on the sofa just before the coverage started and woke up just after the race ended..... Not a happy bunny :annoyed::D!

Managed to watch it the next day though.

As Donnyboy says, Abu Dhabi should be fascinating!

It's a pity that the final is being held in Abu Dhabi not really a fitting place for the finale, Australia should be the final destination as it used to be and I think you Webber supporters are going to be disappointed this time as it looks like Alonso will be the favourite {mine at least} to lift the title barring any problems.:rolleyes:

Firstly, like to say what a good job Vettel did on Sunday. He showed the class that we know he has, but which has gone missing for a good number of races this season. The RB was clearly in a different league, but Vettel did what he had to do - didn't put a foot wrong and his team mate never looked like challenging him.

OK, leading up to the final race of the season, i'm a little surprised by some of the statements coming out from the drivers. The first article here suggests that Alonso is very confident of his chances, and the second suggests that Lewis has all but written his chances off.

Up till now, Alonso has been very circumspect and cautious about predictions. I do think he is obviously in with a fantastic chance, but i always worry when drivers publicly announce this sort of confidence whether it might be tempting fate. All it would take is a DNF and that would almost certainly be it - and Alonso hasn't had a DNF for a long time now - engine failure can't be ruled out for one. (for what it is worth, i hope the title isn't decided this way)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9167126.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9165083.stm

And as far as Lewis is concerned, he has remained incredibly optimistic and upbeat throughout the season, even in the face of some terrible results, and the fact that coming into the last race he is still mathematically in with a shout, i think should be cause for some celebration at McLaren. A little less negativity wouldn't be a bad thing, is i guess all i'm saying.

So in conclusion, Alonso, placed so strongly where he is, should be calming his team and his fans down, whereas Lewis needs to be pepping his team up. Just my opinion of course!

It's a pity that the final is being held in Abu Dhabi not really a fitting place for the finale, Australia should be the final destination as it used to be and I think you Webber supporters are going to be disappointed this time as it looks like Alonso will be the favourite {mine at least} to lift the title barring any problems.:rolleyes:

Here here regarding the choice of final circuit. What a drab and soulless place to stage such an exciting and important race. So many other better choices... Japan or Australia for starters.

Here here regarding the choice of final circuit. What a drab and soulless place to stage such an exciting and important race. So many other better choices... Japan or Australia for starters.

Agree with you guys that it might not be best place for the season finale but with its amazing facilities and architecture with buildings lit by multi-coloured twinkling lights and a pit exit that tunnels under the first corner, there is no doubt that the track is outstanding. Moreover, its day-night timeslot was well received by the drivers ensuring atmospheric lighting conditions all the way!

In my opinion the best place for a season finale is Interlagos.....what a good atmosphere we always have there.

Cheers

Its such a shame that Webber made a huge mistake in Korea and didn't gain any points - unlike the other WDC contenders.

All of them have made too many mistakes in my book to 'obviously' deserve the WDC, but I have a soft spot for Webber this year as he is so clearly having to fight the 'team preference'....

The mistake in Korea only seems more significant because of its timing, what with it being close to the end. In fact, all of his mistakes have cost him pretty dearly - how dearly? well we'll know in about 10 days.

As far as him becoming WDC is concerned, i think his biggest stumbling block might be bottle and nerve. If a driver starts losing it, getting into a smooth rhythm with the car can be difficult as the fear of making a mistake interferes with their instincts and ability. I think that played a part in Korea for Mark.

As well as being taken out by his own team mate when in the lead at Turkey.

And as far as Lewis is concerned, he has remained incredibly optimistic and upbeat throughout the season, even in the face of some terrible results, and the fact that coming into the last race he is still mathematically in with a shout, i think should be cause for some celebration at McLaren. A little less negativity wouldn't be a bad thing, is i guess all i'm saying.

So in conclusion, Alonso, placed so strongly where he is, should be calming his team and his fans down, whereas Lewis needs to be pepping his team up. Just my opinion of course!

Rix. I have to say that I really sympathise with Jenson, my own thoughts of a driver crashing out is purely down to him but to be taken out accidently or otherwise is tough to swallow and to have a radiator cover inadvertantly left on,"yeh yeh yeh, cynic thay I am" would have meant a likely hood of him being higher up the list or perhaps vying for the title.

Rix. I have to say that I really sympathise with Jenson, my own thoughts of a driver crashing out is purely down to him but to be taken out accidently or otherwise is tough to swallow and to have a radiator cover inadvertantly left on,"yeh yeh yeh, cynic thay I am" would have meant a likely hood of him being higher up the list or perhaps vying for the title.

David, i'm not quite sure how your comments relate to the point i was making. Is there a connection?

As to the idea that McLaren deliberately left a radiator cover on Button's car, i have to say that as much as i love conspiracy theories, that particular one strikes me as being just a little too far-fetched.

David, i'm not quite sure how your comments relate to the point i was making. Is there a connection?

As to the idea that McLaren deliberately left a radiator cover on Button's car, i have to say that as much as i love conspiracy theories, that particular one strikes me as being just a little too far-fetched.

Rix. Absolutely none, I just thought I had scrolled down far enough to say something un-related entirely, but you know what the old eyesight gets like as one gets older.

As for the conspiracy theory that was a bit of tongue in cheek to see if you would rise to the fly, and dare I say it ha ha ha.

David.

P.S. I do hope a little light humour does not go amiss in these stressful times :D :jap:

Am I alone in thinking the FIA/Bernie should use the grey matter when deciding the calender? I mean a race that runs 20% plus behind the safety car because of the rain. Might as well run the European races in winter, as run the Asian leg in the monsoon. I love wet races as long as it's not a deluge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9175870.stm

OK. This is a bit more like the right attitude from McLaren. Their job is easy. Go out and do everything for the win.

For the other three guys in the hunt, i think it's a lot trickier working out a game plan and sticking to it. Can't afford to be too cautious. Can't afford to be too reckless. Striking a balance can be tough.

One thing i do know, come the end of the race on Sunday, either Alonso or Webber is going to be distraught. Of course it could be both of them feeling that way, but the odds are against it.

For Vettel and Lewis i think defeat, if it does come, will be considerably easier to take.

Thought you guys might be interested to see this, taken from BBC blog. To me it shows what a waste of time it was changing the points system. Change for the sake of change. All it's done is made it tough on us poor mathematicians. Still, guess i should be thankful - we could have been lumbered with the even more nonsensical business of awarding medals! Maybe that's still to come?!

DRIVERS Pts "Old"

Alonso 246 99

Webber 238 96

Vettel 231 94

Hamilton 222 92

Button 199 81

Massa 143 57

Rosberg 130 50

Kubica 126 48

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9185746.stm

"I want Lewis on pole"

Hehe. Perhaps the first and last time we hear Alonso say that.

Of course, if Lewis does get pole and goes on to lead the race, it would make things a bit easier for Alonso. Well, of course, Alonso leading the race would make things easiest for Alonso, but one suspects that he'll be driving with a bit of caution. Bit like the final race we saw in 2008 when Lewis had it all in his hands and ended up scraping a fifth place finish.

Funny to think that if Lewis does keep the RB's off the lead, he may well be helping his arch rival. Perhaps if Webber is behind him in second there may even be a temptation to let him through!? Of course though, that will never happen as it would be throwing away Lewis's only slim hope. One things for sure, should be an interesting race!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9182937.stm

Lewis Hamilton has admitted he would love to see Mark Webber emerge victorious in this year's Formula world title race if he cannot claim the championship for himself. "He has been told by his team what position he is and against adversity he has kept at it," Hamilton said. "He has done an awesome job."

Formula 1 drivers are well-versed in the use of extreme measures in the pursuit of speed but Fernando Alonso, the 2010 championship leader, has taken things a stride further by having his legs waxed. "I'm surprised how he was able to take the pain," said Hamilton. "Mark [Webber] pointed it out and was asking: 'How far has it gone up?' I was like: 'Wow, they are shiny.'"

biggrin.gif

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88141

Felipe Massa is confident that his difficult 2010 season will prove to be just a blip in his career, and says this year's form does not necessarily mean he will be overshadowed by team-mate Fernando Alonso again in 2011.

cheesy.gif Massa had one shot and one shot alone to get the team behind him, and that was at the beginning of this season. He failed and the dynamics of the team are now set. Get used to it mate.

"There is no doubt that this championship will be devalued if Fernando Alonso wins and the points obtained by breaking the rules define the final result." Former FIA president Max Mosley in today's Times talking about the Ferrari team orders rumpus.

"There is no doubt that this championship will be devalued if Fernando Alonso wins and the points obtained by breaking the rules define the final result." Former FIA president Max Mosley in today's Times talking about the Ferrari team orders rumpus.

I have to say that this is not the first time that the rules have been abused and several teams teams have been guilty of this in the past whether the rules allowed team orders or not, Mclaren amongst others have been guilty of this even if at the time it was not deemed a transgression of the rules and for all the advocates of team orders under certain conditions had better get used to it and to my mind Webber is the biggest whinger of all, the man should shut the <deleted>> up and accept the money he is getting that is considerably more than his far superior talented teamate is receiving.

Webber has done nothing that numerous other drivers could not have done in without doubt the best car on the grid, in all the years he has been racing the man has acheived nothing,until RBR and of course he will make statements about being number two driver, RBR has arguably given both drivers free chances to fight for the top spot and I cannot believe for one moment that Webber is a compararable driver to Vettel irrespective of the standings, the man has shown on numerous times when there has been pressure that he cannot handle it.

I have to say that this is not the first time that the rules have been abused and several teams teams have been guilty of this in the past whether the rules allowed team orders or not, Mclaren amongst others have been guilty of this even if at the time it was not deemed a transgression of the rules and for all the advocates of team orders under certain conditions had better get used to it and to my mind Webber is the biggest whinger of all, the man should shut the <deleted>> up and accept the money he is getting that is considerably more than his far superior talented teamate is receiving.

Webber has done nothing that numerous other drivers could not have done in without doubt the best car on the grid, in all the years he has been racing the man has acheived nothing,until RBR and of course he will make statements about being number two driver, RBR has arguably given both drivers free chances to fight for the top spot and I cannot believe for one moment that Webber is a compararable driver to Vettel irrespective of the standings, the man has shown on numerous times when there has been pressure that he cannot handle it.

Well one has to say firstly that old Max is a complete wally and should keep his trap shut. Perhaps he interferes in this way in the hope of being summoned by Todt to his office for a jolly good spanking.

That aside, with regards to his comments, i do think that once again the FIA have completely bungled things. To begin with Ferrari are fined by them a sum which really is probably no more than they spend on a gear box. I mean, just what is the point? And then the FIA then declare that the evidence was insufficient to impose a deduction of points. OK. So give Ferrari back the money you just fined them then.

Truth is, everyone knows full well that team orders were applied blatantly and the FIA had sufficient evidence to go on if they wanted to take action, but for whatever reason, they didn't. Perhaps they felt that it would be unfair since on other occasions other teams have possibly been guilty of the same offence, albeit done more discreetly. Quite possibly true. But when it's as in your face as it was with Ferrari, i think the FIA have to look at themselves and consider the fact that it is they who wrote the rule and if a team can be clearly seen to be breaking it and face no action, what's the point in them writing the rules in the first place? One wonders...

Anyway, something needs to be done about this for the next season. I know there are many who would simply like the rule scrapped. I don't agree. I appreciate the fact that if teams want to apply team orders without it being obvious, there are ways, but these ways tend to be fraught with the potential for things backfiring, and as such, i think teams are far less inclined to go this route.

To your other points concerning Webber, i feel slightly differently in that i do think he has had cause to go public with some of it. The business of the team instantly swaying in favour of Vettel after the two of them clashed - when most who saw the accident thought Vettel was probably slightly more at fault - was poor in my opinion.

That said, i do agree with you that Webber has shown time and time again this season that he really is a pretty average driver and, what's more, prone to cracking under pressure. Yesterday should have been the qualifying session of his life. Get the car on the front row at least, if not pole, and watch the pressure grow on Alonso. Instead he's back in fifth and 6 tenths off his team mate. Not good and my feeling is that is his chance blown right there, before the race has even begun. He's relying on a mistake from Alonso. Who knows, perhaps in his urgency to get passed him he'll take them both out and leave the two young hot shots up front to fight things out - and if Vettel prevails it will have all turned out just the way RB wanted it to!

Well done to Vettel, having come close to losing it he won the championship in the style he would have wished :thumbsup:

The race was a bit of an anti-climax though, probably the most boring race since Bahrain with overtaking clearly nearly impossible, the best bit of the track is the pit exit !

Kinda looks like Red Bull duped Ferrari into making the wrong move ?