Thai Airways Wins Another Best Airline Award

george

THAI wins another best airline award

Thai Airways International was recognised as Asia's best airline for the seventh time, at this year's Go Asia Award ceremony that took place at the world's biggest tourism fair - Internationale Tourismus Bourse Berlin (ITB).

This year, THAI regained it position and came in first place.

Since 2004, Go Asia Awards have been awarded by Berlin-based marketing initiative "Go Asia" to leading tourism companies focusing on Asia. The awards are based on a comprehensive online survey among all registered users and more than 2,600 people participated in the vote in 2010. For the first time, votes were conducted on end-consumer and travel agent feedback.

In addition to THAI, Thailand was also awarded a Go Asia Award.

As in 2009, Thailand remained Asia's most admired travel destination. Other Go Asia Awards were handed over in the categories Best Tour Operator, Best Hotel and Best Tourism Board.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

nothing against thai air (I fly with them, whenever they have a special offer), but a little surpised, that it's not a singapore airline or emirates, them being regarded as the world's leading airlines

Edited by londonthai

Who actually flys with them ? Considering their website prices are more than double of everyone elses !! I just cant see how they survive !!

Check out price for flights to UK, crazy !!

I couldn't agree more. I fly around twice amonth internationally and cannot believe the prices Thai are quoting. I have just been charged 76,000 baht for a business class ticket to Osaka - 7 hour trip. I had a wonderful trip on QATAR end of last year for an all in price of 72,000 THB to London. Thai don't even TOUCH their quality.

Useless award , Go Asia a "Berlin based marketing initiative" just what it actually is makes you wonder , anyway a i am travelling almost every second week around asia here is my "initiative" results surveying myself,

1 ) Singapore

2 ) Cathay

3 ) Qantas

4 ) Malaysian

5 ) Thai

6 ) China Airlines

7 ) Garuda

thai are not the cheapest to the uk (still you can get for some £500 from London return), but at least they are not fully packed, thus you have a better service and you can lay down on 2 seats.

as they are flying directly they are doing some money on cargo (like fresh flowers, herbs and foods) - a steady income

nothing against thai air (I fly with them, whenever they have a special offer), but a little surpised, that it's not a singapore airline or emirates, them being regarded as the world's leading airlines

I am a little surprised too.

Emirates doesn't qualify, however, being based in Dubai.

Normally Thai are too expensive, but they did have a flurry of cheaper fares in February from London to Bangkok and the planes are now pretty fully booked for the foreseeable future I believe (the latter based on what a stewardess told me on my last outbound flight) - which is probably why you can no longer get a cheap flight on Thai for the net few months. I paid £577 for a return flight, which is not bad for a direct fare.

They just need some new planes with decent movies then they will be much more competitive on the London route. I tend to sleep rather than watch movies so I just buy on price and am prepared to pay (no more than) £150 extra to fly direct rather than use Emirates/Qatar/Etihad. These airlines (particularly Emirates) use far better kit than Thai, but the desert changeover in the dead of night is a pain in the proverbial and ruins my beauty sleep

Who actually flys with them ? Considering their website prices are more than double of everyone elses !! I just cant see how they survive !!

Check out price for flights to UK, crazy !!

Cheap the other way.. I'm flying them soon, LHR-BKK for £1430 return in business class.

Useless award , Go Asia a "Berlin based marketing initiative" just what it actually is makes you wonder , anyway a i am travelling almost every second week around asia here is my "initiative" results surveying myself,

1 ) Singapore

2 ) Cathay

3 ) Qantas

4 ) Malaysian

5 ) Thai

6 ) China Airlines

7 ) Garuda

8) One-two- never fly.

I am a little surprised too.

Emirates doesn't qualify, however, being based in Dubai.

Dubai is in Asia.

In almost all airline ranking programs, Singapore, Emirates, and Cathay Pacific come out on top in Asia.  Thai is way down the list of world airlines, behind those three, EVA, Asiana, British Airways, Lufthansa, United, American, Continental, Qatar, Virgin, Virgin America, Kingfisher,  and others.

I have flown across the Pacific on Thai, Singapore, ANA, and United in all three classes, and in economy and business in Korean Air, and in economy in EVA and Cathay Pacific.  Of all of these Thai would be my bottom choice, with Singapore my top choice in first or business, and EVA for economy.

There must be some sage on TV who can tell us what continent the Middle East is on. Have always assumed it to be indeterminate but not Asia.

Global groups constantly struggle where to place it in their corporate global structures - but most seem to settle for a polyglot EMEA (Europe Middle East and Africa) or a more regionally pure MENA (Middle East and North Africa). Not that that means anything other than to explain why I perhaps wrongly jumped in with a 'Middle East is not Asia' assumption.

[Come to that most Indians I met in corporate life used to resist being categorised as Asia]

There must be some sage on TV who can tell us what continent the Middle East is on. Have always assumed it to be indeterminate but not Asia.

Global groups constantly struggle where to place it in their corporate global structures - but most seem to settle for a polyglot EMEA (Europe Middle East and Africa) or a more regionally pure MENA (Middle East and North Africa). Not that that means anything other than to explain why I perhaps wrongly jumped in with a 'Middle East is not Asia' assumption.

[Come to that most Indians I met in corporate life used to resist being categorised as Asia]

http://www.lowvisionsolutions.com/images/map-asia.gif

http://www.lowvisionsolutions.com/images/map-asia.gif

Well, that image leaves out Russia!

Not to devolve further, but just got back to your grammar school geography.  

Europe is separated from Africa by the Med, and from Asia by the Bosphorus Straits, the Black Sea, the Caspian Sea, then a rough line up the Ural Mountains (thereby putting both Russia and Turkey as being on both continents).   Asia is split from Africa by the Dead Sea, and from Europe by tthe Bosphorus, the Black Sea, the Caspian Sea, and the Urals.

So yes, as tw25rw wrote, Egypt, for example, is in Africa, but the bulk of the Middle East is in Asia.  (Think of Iraq and Saudi playing in the Asia Cup for football, or representing Asia in the World Cup.)