Lamai Beach Sea Is Filthy

It's funny the way a lot of foreign tourists complain about garbage on the beaches here in Thailand as it is them that actually encourages the problem. Take Samui here, go down to Chaweng or Lamai at sunset and you'll find heaps of garbage left on the beach by tourists.

So instead of blaming the Thais for a problem like this, point your finger at foreign tourists instead.

Still, Thailand's beaches are far cleaner than most back home.

theyaregoodwearebad

What??????????? Have you seen a typical Thai family on the beach? The idea of placing trash into a collection point is totally alien to them. I've seen farangs on the beach clean up after them when they leave. Most foreign tourists are very good at cleaning up after themselves.

It's funny the way a lot of foreign tourists complain about garbage on the beaches here in Thailand as it is them that actually encourages the problem. Take Samui here, go down to Chaweng or Lamai at sunset and you'll find heaps of garbage left on the beach by tourists.

So instead of blaming the Thais for a problem like this, point your finger at foreign tourists instead.

Most people come here for a holiday and should not be expected to clean the beach of oil and debris..I have stopped going to the beach now, as there is so much oil being washed up (I usually go to Chaweng beach)..as for tourists leaving litter...not entirely true, the people dishing out muay thai boxing flyers, or somebody promoting a restaurant flyers..even if you dont want them, they just stick them in the sand by your side (most annoying)..There are also no bins anywhere along the beach, and most of the rubbish or litter is from Hawker sales or these people distributing flyers...they are the ones who should be obligated to clean the beach, or the fee they pay to wear the hawker vest should go towards a cleaning team, that clean the beach each evening or morning..charge a higher fee to the hawker and it might even regulate their numbers to an acceptable level, rather than having a singing ice cream seller in your face every 2 minutes...alternatively why not do what the Italians do and franchise areas of the beach...think you would find some competition for bums on seats might tidy the place up :)

I was over on Samui a few years ago visiting a mate in Lamai.We went down to the beach early one morning for a walk.

The previous night there had been a storm with very rough seas which had washed a lot of the sand away and uncovered the the blue sewage pipes running directly into the sea from many resorts.

Never been back to that shytehole again.

I was over on Samui a few years ago visiting a mate in Lamai.We went down to the beach early one morning for a walk.

The previous night there had been a storm with very rough seas which had washed a lot of the sand away and uncovered the the blue sewage pipes running directly into the sea from many resorts.

Starky,

You write exactly as I found the "Shame of Lami" last year. SOME Resort owners may clean visable garbage as do SOME other users, Thai and Farang both. However the Resort Owners who since the building of thier "Resorts" have polluted the waters of Lamai with thier untreated Sewage outfalls I say "Shame on you"

Starky,

You write exactly as I found the "Shame of Lami" last year. SOME Resort owners may clean visable garbage as do SOME other users, Thai and Farang both. However the Resort Owners who since the building of thier "Resorts" have polluted the waters of Lamai with thier untreated Sewage outfalls I say "Shame on you"

Do most Lamai residents agree that their is untreated sewage in the sea?

Maybe I'll swim in the pool. :)

Most people come here for a holiday and should not be expected to clean the beach of oil and debris..I have stopped going to the beach now, as there is so much oil being washed up (I usually go to Chaweng beach)..as for tourists leaving litter...not entirely true, the people dishing out muay thai boxing flyers, or somebody promoting a restaurant flyers..even if you dont want them, they just stick them in the sand by your side (most annoying)..There are also no bins anywhere along the beach, and most of the rubbish or litter is from Hawker sales or these people distributing flyers...they are the ones who should be obligated to clean the beach, or the fee they pay to wear the hawker vest should go towards a cleaning team, that clean the beach each evening or morning..charge a higher fee to the hawker and it might even regulate their numbers to an acceptable level, rather than having a singing ice cream seller in your face every 2 minutes...alternatively why not do what the Italians do and franchise areas of the beach...think you would find some competition for bums on seats might tidy the place up :D

:) For Crissake what's wrong with the singing ice cream vendor ? He is like a breath of fresh air on the beach and deserves making business because of his innovative sales pitch ! Sure beats the sleezeoids kicking you awake with a "pssst man, you want hash, cocaine"? And there are NO hawkers vests for over a year now since the cops gave up patrolling the beach...Helloo Mr. Mayor, can you hear me ?

:) For Crissake what's wrong with the singing ice cream vendor ? He is like a breath of fresh air on the beach and deserves making business because of his innovative sales pitch ! Sure beats the sleezeoids kicking you awake with a "pssst man, you want hash, cocaine"? And there are NO hawkers vests for over a year now since the cops gave up patrolling the beach...Helloo Mr. Mayor, can you hear me ?

if it's the guy Im thinking of then I agree - he is sound. always has a (genuine) smile on his face and his good mood continues even if you don't buy anything from him.

also agree re the other drug-pushing hawkers. they are a mild pain in the arse.

if it's the guy Im thinking of then I agree - he is sound. always has a (genuine) smile on his face and his good mood continues even if you don't buy anything from him.

also agree re the other drug-pushing hawkers. they are a mild pain in the arse.

thought ice was illegal. maybe not if u mix it with cream :D