Thailand-japan Free Trade Agreement: When Can I Start Bringing In My Cbr1000rr?

submaniac

Ok, I know the Thailand/Japan free trade agreement was siged in 2007. Now that it is 2010, what reduction in import tariffs/duties are in place for now, and when will the duties be completely lifted so that I can bring in my CBR1000RR? Thank you.

2016, this year (2010) its free trade for everything below 250cc. But before you start ordering... The motorcycles need to be able to pass the Euro III exhaust emission standard. Not much Japanese motorcycle of today do that...

Edited by Richard-BKK

That's amazing. I mean they're all for sale in Europe.

So come 2016 is there no import tariff applied to Jap bikes of any capacity?

2016, this year (2010) its free trade for everything below 250cc. But before you start ordering... The motorcycles need to be able to pass the Euro III exhaust emission standard. Not much Japanese motorcycle of today do that...

OK, dug this up from wikipedia:

The stages are typically referred to as Euro 1, Euro 2, Euro 3, Euro 4 and Euro 5 fuels for Light Duty Vehicle standards. The corresponding series of standards for Heavy Duty Vehicles use Roman, rather than Arabic numerals (Euro I, Euro II, etc.)

The legal framework consists in a series of directives, each amendments to the 1970 Directive 70/220/EEC.[11] Here is a summary list of the standards, when they come into force, what they apply to, and which EU directives provide the definition of the standard.

* Euro 1 (1993):

o For passenger cars - 91/441/EEC.[12]

o Also for passenger cars and light trucks - 93/59/EEC.

* Euro 2 (1996) for passenger cars - 94/12/EC (& 96/69/EC)

o For motorcycle - 2002/51/EC (row A)[13] - 2006/120/EC

* Euro 3 (2000) for any vehicle - 98/69/EC[14]

o For motorcycle - 2002/51/EC (row :)[15] - 2006/120/EC

* Euro 4 (2005) for any vehicle - 98/69/EC (& 2002/80/EC)

* Euro 5 (2008/9) and Euro 6 (2014) for light passenger and commercial vehicles - 2007/715/EC[16]

These limits supersede the original directive on emission limits 70/220/EEC.

The classifications for vehicle types are defined by:[17]

* Commission Directive 2001/116/EC of 20 December 2001, adapting to technical progress Council Directive 70/156/EEC on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers[18][19]

* Directive 2002/24/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 March 2002 relating to the type-approval of two or three-wheeled motor vehicles and repealing Council Directive 92/61/EEC

My bike is a 2006CBR1000R. From the thing above, Euro 3 applied for 2000 year vehicles. My bike should pass EURO 4 as it is a 2006. So all I have to do is wait 6 years and bring her over?? Hopefully I will have retired in thailand in that time. I also happen to love this bike. Wanna keep it until I die.

@submaniac

With the comment about the Euro III exhaust emission rules I wanted to discourage people from running over the border and bringing back 250cc or smaller road racers and expect them to be road legal in Thailand.

While the ASEAN or other Free-Trade-Agreements have removed import barriers as import duties, it did not changed anything else.

For example, if you import your motorcycle from your country, you likely still need to pay a good amount of money to make it road legal. This is for road safety, emission, and a few more tests before you can apply for license plate so even without import duties it will come to something of 100,000 Baht give or take...

I hear Honda is going to sell the Honda CBR1000RR for 600,000 Baht brand new with factory warranty... Lets hope that this is real

Edited by Richard-BKK

Please not Richard saying "below 250 cc". But bureaucRATS will continue to find ways to accomplish their mercantilistic goals and selfish agenda. (Never mind the 1960s trucks belching Diesel fumes, let's enforce Euro 3 emissions standards on all bikes. These bikes require regulated catalytic converters...

Seeing the import framework makes me feel sick in my stomach.

One way or another, many people will lose their livelihood and growth will be lower.

Good on ya for doing some digging on Euro standards, but, I believe there is a rule that threads in the bike section must be accompanied by a pic. :)

2010_Honda_CBR1000RR_4.jpg

Ok maybe there is no such rule, but their should be.

Wow, neato, gimme an errection emoticon :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is the actual bike (but it has the front fender on it now--woooohooooooo):

13554_190946676470_610491470_3537089_7223981_n.jpg

Mine is a 2006. I am not a big fan of the 2008+ CBR1000RR's. Aerodynamics be damned, that front fairing makes it look like an angry parrot.