New Ttrue Deal

drummer

Hey - I just saw a poster on my apt building that is advertising True ASDL for 1k baht / month.

Is this worth it? Do I need to install / pay for a phone line, too?

I have cheap, fast, good internet, near my apartment (10 THB/min, 500 M) but I use it a lot, at would be nice to have it at home.

Feedback? Thanks!

Hey - I just saw a poster on my apt building that is advertising True ASDL for 1k baht / month.  

Is this worth it?  Do I need to install / pay for a phone line, too? 

I have cheap, fast, good internet, near my apartment (10 THB/min, 500 M)  but I use it a lot,  at would be nice to have it at home. 

Feedback?  Thanks!

Yes- you would need to install a True telephone line if you don't have one already.

10 THB / min??? You consider that cheap? That is outrageous! 1000 Baht would only get you 100 mins. I use 100 mins before having my breakfast every day!

Most internet cafes are 1 THB a minute or less! If you are really paying 10 THB / min, I would think that 1000 per month plus basic phone bill would be a no brainer.

Edited by bino

oops!  I mean 10 THB / hour! 

How much is a True phone line?  What are the advantages / disadvantages?  Do I need to pay for phone service to it, too?  Thanks!

10 THB per hour would still be a no brainer- for me anyway. I'd use 100 hours / 1000 THB in about 1.5 weeks or less.

Do you have a direct dial phone already? You may already have True service. If your Bangkok number starts with a 9, you have it already. You can also get ADSL from TOT if your phone is provided by them for similar rates.

Prices vary depending on whether you need a compete installation and wiring, or just a simple connection. My building had the True wiring already, so it was easy. Paid a 3000 baht deposit, which they returned to us last year. I should imagine that True corp would be happy to tell you what you need in your circumstances.

I don't consider the advantages / disadvantages that much. To me it is just another monthly bill. There are lots of other threads discussing the advantages / disadvantages of True, TOT, ADSL, deposits, contracts etc. Try the forum search using some of these terms.

Yes- it is required by telephone companies in Thailand (and worldwide) to pay for the basic service. The basic monthly charge is 100 THB. If you don't pay it, they will shut you down...... :o