Koh Samet For Songkran

tranquillize

Hi, I'm thinking of going to Koh Samet for the last 2 days of Songkran this year (April 14-15). I know it will be busy there and thus hotels hike their prices, so i'm wondering if it's possible to find accommodation for around 1000 baht a night (+ or - a couple hundred baht)?

It's probably a good idea to book ahead of time during Songkran so does anyone have any suggestions for accommodations near Sai Kaew beach that fit in my price range? Thanks so much!

I was just a Koh Samed this weekend and looked around at a number of places, however, I didn't find anything that cheap around White Sand Beach for Songkran. If you book prior to or after Songkran, it seems like you can get some decent prices but most places were close to 2000 baht a night. Jep's Bungalows does have a set of units closeby to the beach which they will rent for 1500 baht during Songkran, which looked nice. Downside is that they are right next to the dirt road that goes to Ao Phai Beach and beyond, so it will probably get noisy fairly early. Check out their website by the same name--they apparently have a Bangkok office. Here are a few contact numbers for places there--maybe if you try to book early, they will negotiate with you.

MossMan House 038-644017 Close to the National Park, fairly new and decent sized rooms

Koh Kaew village 038-644-037 Just inside National Park area, rooms a bit small but nice

Ban Samet Hill 083-1070551 By Nadan Pier(main Harbor), nothing fancy but can negotiate with owner, free internet

Hat Saikaew Villa 038-651-535 At the center of White Sand Beach. Get room away from generators...(Lonely Planet)

Have also read that Naga has some nice rooms, although not sure if they have air con rooms. Sorry, don't have their number.

I did find that prices on the internet were often more expensive than if you go in person, altho I don't know if I would go to Samed during Songkran without a reserved place.

FYI I think Samed is a great place and compares favourably to Koh Chang, which has eroded over the years.

Edited by mauiguy90

I was just a Koh Samed this weekend and looked around at a number of places, however, I didn't find anything that cheap around White Sand Beach for Songkran. If you book prior to or after Songkran, it seems like you can get some decent prices but most places were close to 2000 baht a night. Jep's Bungalows does have a set of units closeby to the beach which they will rent for 1500 baht during Songkran, which looked nice. Downside is that they are right next to the dirt road that goes to Ao Phai Beach and beyond, so it will probably get noisy fairly early. Check out their website by the same name--they apparently have a Bangkok office. Here are a few contact numbers for places there--maybe if you try to book early, they will negotiate with you.

MossMan House 038-644017 Close to the National Park, fairly new and decent sized rooms

Koh Kaew village 038-644-037 Just inside National Park area, rooms a bit small but nice

Ban Samet Hill 083-1070551 By Nadan Pier(main Harbor), nothing fancy but can negotiate with owner, free internet

Hat Saikaew Villa 038-651-535 At the center of White Sand Beach. Get room away from generators...(Lonely Planet)

Have also read that Naga has some nice rooms, although not sure if they have air con rooms. Sorry, don't have their number.

I did find that prices on the internet were often more expensive than if you go in person, altho I don't know if I would go to Samed during Songkran without a reserved place.

FYI I think Samed is a great place and compares favourably to Koh Chang, which has eroded over the years.

Thank you very much mauiguy90. This is a very informative post!

Well if your going to Koh Samet and have trouble finding accomodation you can always stay at our guesthouse in Ban Phe and do day trips to the island. Our aircon room rates are Baht 750 baht per nite. Our banner ad is above just click on it if you to find out more about Bedrock Guesthouse Bar & Grill.

My opinion both islands offer something different i quite like Koh Samet and Koh Chang although Koh Chang was a little quiet for me. Anyway just a suggestion

Brgds Mark

To OP:

Koh Samet sees many people coming and leaving, day trippers. Songkran there has no that appeal as on the mainland - since private cars are not allowed, no processions of people dancing in the back of pickups and spraying water around. Many Thais would go to their hometowns or other places more appropriate for that. "Busy" at Songkran at Koh Samet is not a big deal, if that exists at all, I would not worry about it.

My guess, more than 90% people leave between 4 and 5 pm, plenty of accommodation available even if you just show up.

Staying at Ban Phe would work but only if you are ready to put up with slow and cheap boat that takes you to the only pier on the island. Then you have to take a songtaew to the beach, small but still extra cost and hassle.

Or, rent a speed boat (joining with other unkown travellers) and the boat will come straight to the beach where you want to go and come back at time you tell them to be there to take you back. That could cost 1500B or whatever your share is.

Edited by think_too_mut

To OP:

Koh Samet sees many people coming and leaving, day trippers. Songkran there has no that appeal as on the mainland - since private cars are not allowed, no processions of people dancing in the back of pickups and spraying water around. Many Thais would go to their hometowns or other places more appropriate for that. "Busy" at Songkran at Koh Samet is not a big deal, if that exists at all, I would not worry about it.

My guess, more than 90% people leave between 4 and 5 pm, plenty of accommodation available even if you just show up.

Staying at Ban Phe would work but only if you are ready to put up with slow and cheap boat that takes you to the only pier on the island. Then you have to take a songtaew to the beach, small but still extra cost and hassle.

Or, rent a speed boat (joining with other unkown travellers) and the boat will come straight to the beach where you want to go and come back at time you tell them to be there to take you back. That could cost 1500B or whatever your share is.

White shark speed boat company has tickets for 250 baht per pax from memory. they go every 2 hours i think

To OP:

White shark speed boat company has tickets for 250 baht per pax from memory. they go every 2 hours i think

That's good then. 250Baht is nothing for the convenience those speed boats provide.

We were staying at the Rayong Resort and the speed boat came there to pick us up.

Went to Koh Samet 4 times, 2 times regular boat ( we had a car to go to Ban Phe) and 2 times speed boat from the hotel.

Best deals are to be had on the island, turn up and haggle .... prices down to 600bht if vacency before last boats go.

That's what I wanted to say too.

After 5PM, what is sold is sold. They can leave the rooms dormant or get something. Even 3pm they (hotel/bungalows owners) know.

Price too high - for 500-1,000B you are off to the mainland by a speedboat and they get nothing.

Even when Tsunami in 2004. rerouted 10s of thousands of tourists who had no intention to visit nor even knew the place existed, show-up and huggle still worked at Koh Samet.

I have had the unfortunate experience of being on both Samet and Chang during Songkran...unfortunate refers to a complete lack of available rooms. On Samet, we got there fairly early on Friday. Ended up in a rented tent for 2 nights...at 400B/night! Rented from the police, of course.

On Chang, I searched and searched until found a hut for 100B down near Lonely Beach. Took me almost 3 hours to find a place to stay. I did not have a car. It had ants and leaked when it rained. Slept on the floor on a very thin mattress. Luckily, the next night, we found a room in the main area at a fairly reasonable price.

It might be bad this Songkran due to the Reds and their protest plans...everybody escaping Bangkok!

Go as early as you can if you don't have reservations...Start at the top of the islands and work your way down. They are both beautiful and can't wait to visit again! I have never made reservations on my 20 or so visits to the islands...always just showed up and negotiated...usually worked out quite well.