Question On Permanent Residency

Maybe this is gonna get the answer "How long is a piece of string?", but worth trying.

If I were to apply for permanent residency in Thailand, what would be a suitable amount of Tax to have paid?

I have previously worked at a University and paid tax for a whole year, then I moved on to another job, as part time

this job made me pay tax, but I got a rebate from the Revenue Department of about 80%, this last taxable year I paid

around 14,500 baht in taxes for part time work, but am looking to get most of it back.

Another note, I do not have a WP, I work part time, which I know is not really legal, but I work for a top University who

are heavily linked to the Government, so not much chance of a raid or questions being asked. So can I still apply?

Oh, married to a Thai, held a non immigrant B and O visa (switched to O upon marriage) which have been renewed for the last 3 years.

You worked illegal and payed tax, which proofs you were working illegal as you don't have a work permit. Forget about applying for PR, they will find out and don't like it. You can even be prosecuted.

Go legit for a long time, at least 3 years, before applying for PR.

Yes, but you are working without a work permit which is illegal so they will find out and not give you a PR. Also it takes along time and allot of money and many hoops to jump through. My friend got his PR after about 8 year living and working here, cost him about 300,000 baht and from the time he applied to he received it was about 2 years, heard they are even dragging their feet more on giving out the PR. If I were you I would do as Mario suggested, he always give very good advise on these things.

Good luck !!

Although 4 years ago, my neighour got PR and he had not worked here or paid any tax. He was married to a Thai with 2 kids and 53 years old, had stayed here 7 years.

Listen to the Mods they know what the are talking about. There has not been a PR issued since September 19 2006. Look back at history and that date should tell you something.

Tax is not the only factor. You need to fit into one of the categories such as Business/Investment/Humanitarian(Family). Generally each category has minimum salary requirements and points are awarded for many different things such as income, assets, family connections, thai language skills and general opinion on suitability to have residence in Thailand. Don't worry if you fall down in one or two areas so long as your other factors for consideration are good. But you will need to have been working (with work permit of course!) in Thailand for 3yrs on successive ext. of stay.

Edited by Time Traveller

Although 4 years ago, my neighour got PR and he had not worked here or paid any tax. He was married to a Thai with 2 kids and 53 years old, had stayed here 7 years.

Listen to the Mods they know what the are talking about. There has not been a PR issued since September 19 2006. Look back at history and that date should tell you something.

I can't believe no actions have been taken with respect to PR since late 2006. Pretty discouraging for people I know who are looking to gain Thai PR! Hopefully after the 2011 elections things will stabilize again in the government?!