The Things People Do In Thailand To Save Money

patong

Save all your bits of cardboard, the plastic and glass empties and sell them to the person who comes scavenging through the rubbish.

I collect my bottles and plastic separate it from the trash and just give it to them. I think those people deserve a break no need for me to get a few bath they can use it much better and at least they are not begging.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a fan in conjunction with an AC and set the AC to high of 29 degrees.

Place the fan right behind the air flow of the AC to have the cooled air blown directly at you.

Whenever the AC compressor kicks in, which is not very often you will be cooled when it does.

And to compensate the higher temp setting, you will be cooled by the fan.

Edited by tangcoral

Save all your bits of cardboard, the plastic and glass empties and sell them to the person who comes scavenging through the rubbish.

I collect my bottles and plastic separate it from the trash and just give it to them. I think those people deserve a break no need for me to get a few bath they can use it much better and at least they are not begging.

That was light hearted, as per the topic, a bit like sharing the shower with a friend and putting a brick in the cistern. :)

On the other hand one guy and his wife drive around the villages in their pick up truck and with a set of scales they weigh everything from cardboard to bottles and divvy up the cash.

That was light hearted, as per the topic, a bit like sharing the shower with a friend and putting a brick in the cistern. :)

On the other hand one guy and his wife drive around the villages in their pick up truck and with a set of scales they weigh everything from cardboard to bottles and divvy up the cash.

I have seen those too here in our village. But i just give the stuff away to someone who i know needs the money.

Only yesterday wifey asked me to drive 10 k's to another supermarket because the packs of soap there were 3 bht less.

Now thats more like what I see daily. The wife will drive to 4 markets looking for a specialty item instead of opening the yellow pages to call around to locate. I truly believe she doesn't know how to use the yellow pages.

Only yesterday wifey asked me to drive 10 k's to another supermarket because the packs of soap there were 3 bht less.

Now thats more like what I see daily. The wife will drive to 4 markets looking for a specialty item instead of opening the yellow pages to call around to locate. I truly believe she doesn't know how to use the yellow pages.

They have yellow pages here? in 5 years I have never had one sent to my house....

Would it be going over board to go to share the toilet and leave a brick in the shower. :D

I saved money by getting a ride on dishwasher.

A dishwasher? You mean, she didn't buck and throw you off when she found out that you weren't going to pay for "the ride"?? Wow, you got lucky I guess. :)

I've never ridden a dishwasher, but I did get picked up for a little ride by a hostsess once.. no money was exchanged, but some other stuff was! :D

So how do I save money?

I virtually NEVER open the aircon in the car (and not often in the house), unless we (GF & I) have a guest.

I wash the car myself. And buy the non-designer detergent concentrate. I top up the tank before driving outside of Bangkok, and only at gas stations that give free bottled water with a topped up tank.

I byu bulk items when they're on sale. Almost never buy the lower priced (but higher cost) small packaged items (when it's sold in a larger size).. but you gotta CHECK; sometimes, the sneaky stores actually try to charge MORE per Kg for a larger size package.. I guess they figure the average Thai wont bother to do the math. Almost got taken at Carrefoure for higher priced diapers in the 20 pack, than the 4 pack. You gotta check!

I really try not to buy "staple items" at 7/11 (was hard as he_ll to teach the GF about that one, but she finally got it)

We ONLY go to Major Cineplex (@ Ekamai) on Wednesdays; it's HALF PRICE TICKETS (for all but the "special engagment" showings), and current promotion: fill up the sticker card with 8 stamps; get a free popcorn and soda! So we see a movie 4 times a month @ halfprice ($120 Bath for 2 people!), and pay for popcorn only ZERO times a month (we sneak snacks into the theater, the other times!). Slick, huh?

I get a Thai massage (no extras) every 3 to 4 weeks, and ONLY at $100Bath/hour.

If a restaurant has even the SLIGHTEST SUGGESTION of the english word "Seafood" posted anyware on the premises, I won't go near it..

(you'll instantly be paying $150-$400Bath MORE than you'd need to elseware, just because that sign's there.)

My GF, and all of her friends get loaded on cheap local beer and whisky BEFORE going out to a bar or club. Then they just pay (ok, ok.. I pay) for 1 or 2 drinks the whole night, to mantain the buzz.

I know the gist of the thread is to post "odd" or "unthinkable" ways that we've seen people save money, but I put my "practical" ones up anyway; might give someone a good idea (who really needs to save a little). :D

Here goes...

Sometimes i pee in the garden,i brush my teeth in the shower,i throw the dirty dishes water all over the garden,the dogs and cats and any other animal in the hood get to eat our delicious leftovers and then the ducks and chickens get last dibs,

I turn the outside light off early,very early so i am constantly being told...i listen to next doors music and imagine their enjoyment....i turn the gas off before my eggs are cooked and let them sit for 10 minutes while i think of what to have with them?

I water down my Paco Rabanne.....i "borrow the mags and papers from the local shop" and after completing the crossword i burn the paper to start the bbq while trying to catch the bloody chicken to cook....i walk around in just a sarong all day to save on the washing....i borrow peoples flip flops and forget to walk back in them!....i use plastic bags for everything.

I make my own ice and when it melts i re-freeze it......we water down the ketchup and brown sauce,and re-use the already filtered cooking oil.

I used to enjoy wildlife tv programmes but now content myself with watching the locals outside.I let the tyres down on my motorcycles so as nobody can borrow them and bring them back on empty again! I commision the local kids to go to the shop for me and on returning give them a nice cold glass of water and a handful of chillies to take home...there faces are a picture.

I go to town and walk around the shopping mall it is so cool and saves looking at the wife all day,i normally walk and get picked up by someone who thinks i'm a millionaire,i tend to go to the local bar that serves buy 3 get 1 free and save the free ones up so every 4th day i have a free day,my neighbour is a mechanic at the local Honda garage just around the corner from the bar...he tends to have a beer there before he goes home,convieniant for me.he has a day off on Sundays though! so on Sundays i drink my homemade sato and treat the locals to a drop or two,they all like it sweet tasting though and unfortunatly for them i don't...so it normally lasts me well.

I used to hate the smell of pala in somtam but i have grown accustomed to it now,it serves a purpose!...also my wife is a lovely lady but tends to tell me some little white lies as she calls them,she says i am "saving face darling" i say "well thats ok then as long as we are saving something"

I could carry on but i am thinking of cut backs and no we don"t have such luxurys yet as dock leafs! and cocunut cups..bah! :)

Signed

Sometimes i am a bit economical with the truth as well :D

• Like 1

An acquaintance goes to Bumrungrad Hospital every morning to read the Bangkok Post

can you blame him! who in their wright mind would pay 30-35 baht a day to read the crap they print and come out with. same can be said for the nation!

An acquaintance goes to Bumrungrad Hospital every morning to read the Bangkok Post

can you blame him! who in their wright mind would pay 30-35 baht a day to read the crap they print and come out with. same can be said for the nation!

Yeah, but 30 baht for a whole newspaper is a lot cheaper than having to buy toilet paper.

Yeah, but 30 baht for a whole newspaper is a lot cheaper than having to buy toilet paper.

best thing for both the editions, the toilet!

best thing for both the editions, the toilet!

like toilet paper with crossword puzzles on it for smart <deleted>

Have my parents come and stay. No matter what I try and treat them to, they insist on finding some way to pay me back!

Also on the list:

wear under inside out to get two days wear out of them this saving on laundry

eat fruit for dinner and have the pips for desert

Drive the car with never more than half a tank (extra weight means less MPG)

Turn the engine off on long down hill stretches of road

drink my own pee

an acquaintance used to eat one 40baht dish a day in a particular "restaurant" because they served free water. he would also go next door to a friends bar and get ice from there as the "restaurant" charged 10bahet per bucket.

as for me... i stopped drinking and having "one night stands"

steady on, mate, times are not that hard

SC

bingo! we even got a second bin for that purpose.

Confiscate all the free tea packets, coffee packets, sugar and cream packets, 2 bottles of free water, mouthwash, body lotion, shaving kits, sewing kits, hand soaps, tissues, toilet paper, shampoo and conditioner from your 5-star hotel stay. If you stay more than one night, be sure to hide all this in your suitcase so you get a complete, new supply each day.

On the airline, if you have a vacant seat next to you, offer to place an extra meal for the person next to you who is allegedly using the restroom at the moment. Whatever you can't eat, stuff into your carry-ons. Ice cream gets tricky.

Edited by toptuan

- Fill up water from free supplies at banks and supermarkets

- Cancel Truevisions in favor of, erm, alternative hardware and sources.

- Unilateral stop on lady drinks.

- Stop drinking beer.

- Stop eating Western food, especially in restaurants.

- Hypermiling.. 17km/l, not bad for an old truck.

- Eat other people's food.

- Eat less food in general.

- Stick no non-commercial sex

- All shopping either at Makro or the Appointment/Farmers Market nearby.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai