Wondering Why So Many Farang Drink And Drive In Thailand

robblok

I was wondering why there are so many idiots here that drink and drive. I see topics about it and i have seen a poll about it and i was shocked by the results. Do we have so many irresponsible farang here that think they can handle their booze ? Are most farang alcoholic and can't they stop.

I wonder if they ever think about what could happen. I find those kind of people totally repulsive in a country where public transport and taxi's are so cheap. I mean maybe they just drink so much that they can't afford a taxi.

I wonder is it because Thailand attracts the worse kind of foreigner or because they start to copy the Thais. Maybe it is because of the lax laws here. Just reading on the forum i see so many people condone these antics.

I don't mind them killing themselves but they always seem to take an innocent with them. Its usually not the guy in the car that dies but the pedestrian or motorcycle they hit.

Of course people who drive motorbikes and drink are idiots too but usually they only kill themselves. (as seen in many pataya news clippings)

Just wondering what your views are on this.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that it doesn't help progress your thread much, but I agree with everything that you have said. Where I come from (UK), drinking and driving was almost respectable back in the late 60's and 70's when I was growing-up. Times have changed and it is now viewed as the serious crime that it is.

Perhaps through we need to be a bit more proactive about this issue - I know that I have been sitting in a bar and watched as some a55-hole has staggered out and trundled away on a m'bike. However I can imagine the scene that would develop if one attempted to make a citizens arrest !

Londo

Because they can

Where we come from there are consequences, here only if you have an accident you have a problem and were never going to do that when were drunk

:)

I think you will find foreigners abuse this in any country where the laws are so relaxed. IMHO foreigners who drink and drive are just as culpable for accidents as the authorities who don't enforce the laws to stop them.

Edited by carmine

Because they can, back home is another story.

I think i must agree on this one.. because they can. This means that the repression at home works and there is no other way to do it. I mean people wont behave out of the goodness of their hearts.

Like i said when it was a victimless crime i would not care one bit. But a car or a motorbike is a murderweapon in the hands of a drunk driver.

I think i must agree on this one.. because they can. This means that the repression at home works and there is no other way to do it. I mean people wont behave out of the goodness of their hearts.

Like i said when it was a victimless crime i would not care one bit. But a car or a motorbike is a murderweapon in the hands of a drunk driver.

I think it doesn't help when you see 90% of Thai's riding around pi**ed with bloodshot eyes, of course it makes tourists think it's ok. Also being able to give 'backhanders' to the corrupt police force doesn't help also.

Easy to pick on the farang on TV but in my experience (when I used to stay out late) was the accidents I invariably saw at 2:00 am in a taxi on the way home were those of local persuasion crunching up their BMW 3 series or similar trying to impress their gal after too many Black Sodas.

True but these people might be the same people who says Thai are stupid when they can't do a think out of lack of skill or education. But these people know better and don't act better.. makes them hypocrites in my book.

Easy to pick on the farang on TV but in my experience (when I used to stay out late) was the accidents I invariably saw at 2:00 am in a taxi on the way home were those of local persuasion crunching up their BMW 3 series or similar trying to impress their gal after too many Black Sodas.

The old but they do it too defense.. We should know beter we are in general better educated.

I agree completely it is because they can, and some that would normally not drink and drive do it here because in Phuket for example it can cost you almost as much in tuk-tuk fees as it does for the night out. I think the system helps bread the irresponsible actions. That topped with the fact that IF caught the payoff is probably less than the tuktuk fees would be. I am not by any stretch condoning drunk driving, but I think in certain areas of Thailand, the system in place helps promote it. In areas like Bangkok I think you will find far less percentage of farangs drinking and driving.

The old but they do it too defense.. We should know beter we are in general better educated.

Really, I only gots a hi school diploma that I paid for from my newspaper route money. Me thinks the young and classless here purchased better equivalents.

I agree completely it is because they can, and some that would normally not drink and drive do it here because in Phuket for example it can cost you almost as much in tuk-tuk fees as it does for the night out. I think the system helps bread the irresponsible actions. That topped with the fact that IF caught the payoff is probably less than the tuktuk fees would be. I am not by any stretch condoning drunk driving, but I think in certain areas of Thailand, the system in place helps promote it. In areas like Bangkok I think you will find far less percentage of farangs drinking and driving.

I wont guesstimate the percentage, but I have often pondered how many fewer drunk farangs might we have here, if they're lives weren't so bored. Face it, When it requires a work permit to do anything here, be it earning money, or voluteering one's service or labor for a good cause, it tends to force us to do nothing, which could influence many to drink more, and more often.

Really, I only gots a hi school diploma that I paid for from my newspaper route money. Me thinks the young and classless here purchased better equivalents.

You might be annoying at times but i doubt you are not educated.

I wont guesstimate the percentage, but I have often pondered how many fewer drunk farangs might we have here, if they're lives weren't so bored. Face it, When it requires a work permit to do anything here, be it earning money, or voluteering one's service or labor for a good cause, it tends to force us to do nothing, which could influence many to drink more, and more often.

Sure i always thought that there are more alcoholic foreigners here (percentage wise) then in their home countries. Thailand seems to attract its fair share of losers.

Sure i always thought that there are more alcoholic foreigners here (percentage wise) then in their home countries. Thailand seems to attract its fair share of losers.

I think that’s true for any country. Some expats are expats for reasons like love, or good employment, others are "running away" from failed life in their home countries.

But take Japan or Korea do you think the same percentage of expats drinks AND drive? I don't, and for two reasons, tea money is widely rejected, and they have great bus/train/subway/taxi systems. Again I think it has more to-do with environment than anything else.

True.. but you dont have to do a bad thing that is potentially dangerous just because you can. It shows that your a lowlife without respect for others. Nobody is forcing you to drink and drive.

I agree that it is made easier here but nobody puts a gun to their heads and makes them drink and drive.

Just an other example.. i dont use my bike to go against traffic but i can get away with it if i want to and save time and fuel. I don't because i know its stupid and dangerous to do.

The western world has taken up a trend of demonising those who behave in a way counter to the politically correct.

Drunken driving is a very minor offense IMHO (not to be confused with injuring someone while under the influence)

I don't consider victimless crimes to be crimes at all.

All the locals drive while drunk (some often and some not so often), when in a foreign country you fit in with the local laws, that's fair.

Of more concern to me is those people from western countries who come over here on holiday and hire a motorcycle having never ridden one before and having no licence. I helped scrape just such an American lady off the road a few months ago.

I suppose as many of the locals drive without licences, I can hardly complain.

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest a different law for foreigners and more severe punishments and enforcement of that different law.

Edited by sarahsbloke

The western world has taken up a trend of demonising those who behave in a way counter to the politically correct.

Drunken driving is a very minor offense IMHO (not to be confused with injuring someone while under the influence)

I don't consider victimless crimes to be crimes at all.

All the locals drive while drunk (some often and some not so often), when in a foreign country you fit in with the local laws, that's fair.

Of more concern to me is those people from western countries who come over here on holiday and hire a motorcycle having never ridden one before and having no licence. I helped scrape just such an American lady off the road a few months ago.

I suppose as many of the locals drive without licences, I can hardly complain.

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest a different law for foreigners and more severe punishments and enforcement of that different law.

Are you for real ?

Drunk driving a minor offense.. so putting others in danger is ok as long as you don't kill them while doing so ?

Can i play russian roulette with you.. its ok as long as you don't die is it ? I doubt you would let me and take the risk.

Don't know about the rest of Thailand but in Pattaya I think one of the reasons is the unavailability of metered taxis. Yes we have them but first you need to find one and then they refuse to use the meter, charging 300-500 (depending on your skill of negotiation) to take you home to the darkside from a night out in town. If there was a system like in Bangkok where you could call a cab and they would flag the meter without argument I think the number of drink-driving incidents would be lowered considerable here.

Don't know about the rest of Thailand but in Pattaya I think one of the reasons is the unavailability of metered taxis. Yes we have them but first you need to find one and then they refuse to use the meter, charging 300-500 (depending on your skill of negotiation) to take you home to the darkside from a night out in town. If there was a system like in Bangkok where you could call a cab and they would flag the meter without argument I think the number of drink-driving incidents would be lowered considerable here.

Still is it a good excuse if you can pay for the booze why cant you pay for the cab ride ?

Anyway i think most users really don't care that they endanger others. The remarks like the thai do it too.. doesn't really cut it because we are not Thai and should know better.

You keep seeing people rant about how much better a farang is then a Thai but when it comes down to it they are just as bad.

I do agree though that it would help

Those of you from UK how severe is the penalty for first time offense?

Considering your over the limit and no accident involved.

You would definately lose your licence for at least 1 year and probably be fined as well. Jail time is possible depending on how much over the limit you were and how you got caught, ie. random stop or driving like an idiot.....

Anyway i think most users really don't care that they endanger others. The remarks like the thai do it too.. doesn't really cut it because we are not Thai and should know better.

What makes you think 'we' know any better than the Thais do?

Maybe 'we' have got it wrong, and the Thais are right.

Sounds sort of racist.

What makes you think 'we' know any better than the Thais do?

Maybe 'we' have got it wrong, and the Thais are right.

Sounds sort of racist.

Agreed, OP is going a bit over the top on this one.

Drinking and driving is tolerated by the law here - until you hit someone that is- so who is the OP to decide that a whole nation is wrong and we must all do what he says.

Jeez, get over yourself