Free Speed-up On True Adsl..?

Thanh-BKK

Hello.

True are advertising their new basic service - 4 MBit/s down speed for 590 Baht/month.

Not too long ago i changed from my basic service (2.5 Mbit/s down, 512 Kbit/s up, 790 Baht/month) which had been upgraded for free to 3.5 Mbit/s down already to a new "premium" service, again the cheapest, at 3 Mbit/s down, 1 Mbit/s up because i want the upload as i am torrenting a lot. This is now costing like 590 Baht per month, too.

A few minutes ago i was looking at my active torrents and was wondering why they go THAT fast - a quick calculation revealed that i am currently uploading at close to 800 Kbit/s (i have it throttled to that value) but at the same time downloading at just over 4.5 Mbit/s!

So i quickly checked in my router's menu and indeed, i am currently connected at 4,704 Kbit/s down, 996 Kbit/s up.

Hence the question - has True upgraded their "basic premium" users to 5 Mbit or something? Anyone else here with a similar experience? This is NOT a complaint, i rarely find anything to complain in regards to my internet (but then i am just 200 meters from the DSLAM, the line should be good).

Kind regards......

Thanh

My understand is that some months ago download speeds were increased due to competition.

I am on a basic package 599baht/month, should be reaching speeds of 4.0Mbps/512Kbps

As you are paying 799/month I think you should be reach 5.0Mbs/512Kbps

Please keep in mind that a True Online Service contract only guarantees 60% of the speed rate and only within Thailand.

My past experience with True, is that no guarantees are offer on speeds outside of Thailand.

The link below suggests this may have changed, the packages now display both internal and external speeds as the same.

As you are achieving downloads of 4.74mbps/966kbps I think you are receiving the Premium Package of 5.0Mbps/1.0Mbps with Wifi hotspots included.

You should checkin with True

http://www.trueonline.com/th/package.aspx

Also try checking your internet speed at www.speedtest.net

Hi.

Yes i am signed up for a premium package (1 Mbit/s upload speed, WiFi hotspots access) but my assigned speed (download) is supposed to be 3 Mbit/s, not close to 5 Mbit/s :) I am paying 590 for that service, not 790. 790 was my old package. If i understand correctly i am getting that discounted price (i.e. premium package for the price of basic package) because i am also True Visions subscriber, Gold package there.

Speedtest sites such as www.speedtest.net are rather useless to check one's speed - as it only shows the speed to that one particular server. If that server itself has a slow connection you are screwed (for example i can have a "faster connection" to New York than to Bangkok - even though i myself am in Bangkok). I am testing with torrents - i.e. multiple connections to multiple locations at the same time. This is quite good to see what speed my connection can pump through on an international basis, and as mentioned, i am getting upload-wise more than 95% of what i pay for and currently in terms of download a lot MORE than what i pay for :D

On a side note - it would be nice if True would enable WiFi hotspot access and home ADSL access simultaneously - because as my computer at home is on and online all day long i can't take advantage of the WiFi as they only allow for one at a time, i.e. EITHER home OR WiFi. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement - if i am signed up for 3 Mbit, why not throttle my ADSL to 1.5 Mbit and allow me WiFi at an additional 1.5 Mbit at the same time as soon as i am accessing a WiFi hotspot?

Best regards.....

Thanh

• 3 weeks later...
I pay for True's 8mb package, looking at my modem im getting closer to 14mb, for 1200b per month im not complaining !!!

Average DL speed for me is 1.2mb/sec.

Mine shows on speedtest.net

784149608.png

But on the thaivisa speed test to Bangkok (which is just wrong in so many ways)

Download Speed: 381 kbps (47.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 307 kbps (38.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 613 ms

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:41:10 PM

I had issues over past few days that True have bent over backwards to help sort, constant dropping out issues, turns out it was a water leakage issue in the main box out side my village...all sorted now, Tech was here for 4 hrs yesterday.

However Iam now only speedtesting at 8mb, seems they fixed it too well !!!!

All good though, downloaded 27gb whilst at work today, cant complain.

Well you guys sure are lucky.

I read about the "free upgrade" over a month ago just after I signed up with True. In fact I asked for a 4 MB connection but was only given a 3 MB by "mistake". When I complained they said they would upgrade to 4 MB at the end of February.

I am still getting 3 MB and complained to them last week. They said they would get back to me but have heard nothing yet.

Maybe I should cancel this contract of 3 MB at 590 baht and open a new one of 4 MB at 590 baht as advertised.