New Mitrapap

andD

It's HORRIFIC!!

Better options that are also somewhat older hotels (but actually recenlty refurbished) include the Khum Kaew Palace hotel and even the old Anodard hotel.

Khum Kaew is something like 700 baht, Anodard is cheap cheap.. 400 baht or whatever. Both are in the old town and predate all the fancy 'boutique' hotels that cost upwards of 3000 baht. :)

Montri hotel is I guess also in that group. Maybe 800 baht or so these days?

WTK

It's HORRIFIC!!

Better options that are also somewhat older hotels (but actually recenlty refurbished) include the Khum Kaew Palace hotel and even the old Anodard hotel.

Khum Kaew is something like 700 baht, Anodard is cheap cheap.. 400 baht or whatever. Both are in the old town and predate all the fancy 'boutique' hotels that cost upwards of 3000 baht. :)

WTK

LMAO! ok well as you can telll i have never been to CM b4 so any advice off regulars i take seriously and that sounds like the voice of experience speaking so thats another one off my list ,

Cheers

andD

ive never heard of the mitrapap but wtks advice about the anodard is good

its much more central to the nightlife than verichia court on thapae road where millwall fan sent you ( in another post ) and probably cheaper

enjoy ... dave2

ps ... i think you are arriving before songkran ( poor #od ... i hibernate in my room for a week ) when making a booking make sure the daily room rate doesnt change ( ie double / tripple ! ) for 3 , 4 or 5 " songkran days "

if it does look somewhere else

andD

ive never heard of the mitrapap but wtks advice about the anodard is good

its much more central to the nightlife than verichia court on thapae road where millwall fan sent you ( in another post ) and probably cheaper

enjoy ... dave2

ps ... i think you are arriving before songkran ( poor #od ... i hibernate in my room for a week ) when making a booking make sure the daily room rate doesnt change ( ie double / tripple ! ) for 3 , 4 or 5 " songkran days "

if it does look somewhere else

thanks for that m8 ill check them out, not coming till the 12th of MAY so ill miss all the water sports mind you i would like to see it but my dates never match up

andD

RE ... not coming till the 12th of MAY so ill miss all the water sports mind you i would like to see it

YOU WOULDNT ... TRUST ME .. im a doctor : )

the 4 5 6 or seven days of songkran in chiang mai and pattaya .... SUCKS

its time to hibernate .... sort your computers out .... watch dvds all day and night while the crazy drunks on the roads ... ( thai and ferang ) kill themselves

dave2

• 3 months later...

I realize this thread is a few months old but I came across it searching for something else, and I thought I'd comment in case anyone else is searching for information about this hotel since I've stayed there.

I stayed there for about a month in January. Perfectly nice place, air conditioning and cable TV worked great, and the free wi-fi was very, very fast compared to most places I've used wi-fi in Chiang Mai.

As far as being "guest friendly", they seem to be. I didn't bring any "guests" but my girlfriend (who is Thai) ended up basically living with me in the hotel for much of the time and this didn't raise any eyebrows. I'm a medium-large white guy and my girlfriend is tiny so I'm sure they assumed she was a "guest" rather than a real girlfriend.

For 300 baht a night it's a no-brainer. Location isn't exactly central but definitely within walking distance of anything downtown. Don't bother trying to book online (I tried through hostels.com) - send them an email to set up a reservation. Like most places in Thailand they don't have a complicated reservation system and especially now aren't particularly busy.

If you're staying for a month or more, though, it's now obvious to me that finding a place with a monthly rate is better. In fact I am back in Chiang Mai now for a few months staying at a decent place with air-con for 2,500 baht a month and I'm sure you can find places for cheaper if you look around. It may be worth it to you to pay more for a hotel like the New Mitrapap, of course, for the free wi-fi and cable TV (even if you're on vacation these things are nice to have).

Edited by penguinchris

It's HORRIFIC!!

WTK

Tried booking the Montri last week and was told 1,500 Baht (yes you read that right) not the usual 800 Baht I had paid a few months ago. Walked past a couple of days ago and empty. Must be Thai logic :rolleyes:

I agree. The New Mitrapap is a great place to stay on a budget.

I had a good experience there as well, for a couple of weeks. Aside from ultra-low rates, benefits also include air-con, fast&free WiFi available in all rooms, and free toast/tea/coffee in the morning.

Also, it was surprisingly clean. Furniture is simple, but includes cable TV and a clean bed. The rooms aren't beautiful, but they're bright and equipped with desks, closets, hangers, bedside tables, hot/cold showers, and clean toilets.

Speaking of cleanliness, it also says a lot when you leave 10 baht on the desk for the maid and she doesn't even take it, even after bringing new linen, towels, soap bars, and toilet paper rolls to your room every day whether you need it or not.

I re-booked once, and tried to re-book again but didn't do so in advance which was unfortunate.

There is a reason why the place is always fully booked 3 days ahead of time.

I would vouch for this place anytime. You could stay at a no air-con guesthouse with nothing but a bed and mosquito net for the same price.

With the sun shining through the windows on the bright colours of the walls, the place has a cute vibe to it, too.

300 baht per night! I almost want to keep this place a secret!

I realize this thread is a few months old but I came across it searching for something else, and I thought I'd comment in case anyone else is searching for information about this hotel since I've stayed there.

I stayed there for about a month in January. Perfectly nice place, air conditioning and cable TV worked great, and the free wi-fi was very, very fast compared to most places I've used wi-fi in Chiang Mai.

As far as being "guest friendly", they seem to be. I didn't bring any "guests" but my girlfriend (who is Thai) ended up basically living with me in the hotel for much of the time and this didn't raise any eyebrows. I'm a medium-large white guy and my girlfriend is tiny so I'm sure they assumed she was a "guest" rather than a real girlfriend.

For 300 baht a night it's a no-brainer. Location isn't exactly central but definitely within walking distance of anything downtown. Don't bother trying to book online (I tried through hostels.com) - send them an email to set up a reservation. Like most places in Thailand they don't have a complicated reservation system and especially now aren't particularly busy.

If you're staying for a month or more, though, it's now obvious to me that finding a place with a monthly rate is better. In fact I am back in Chiang Mai now for a few months staying at a decent place with air-con for 2,500 baht a month and I'm sure you can find places for cheaper if you look around. It may be worth it to you to pay more for a hotel like the New Mitrapap, of course, for the free wi-fi and cable TV (even if you're on vacation these things are nice to have).

Edited by YTP

• 1 year later...

I agree with everything nice being said about this hotel. Ive been there for about 2 months and it's the best place ive stayed for the price. Clean, good showers, good internet, not a bug in site. I only moved out as i was a bit bored of that part of town.

If you're staying for a month or more, though, it's now obvious to me that finding a place with amonthly rate is better. In fact I am back in Chiang Mai now for a few months staying at a decent place with air-con for 2,500 baht a month and I'm sure you can find places for cheaper if you look around. It may be worth it to you to pay more for a hotel like the New Mitrapap, of course, for the free wi-fi and cable TV (even if you're on vacation these things are nice to have).

You dont fancy sharing the name of this place with us Chris do you? thanks

WTK

Tried booking the Montri last week and was told 1,500 Baht (yes you read that right) not the usual 800 Baht I had paid a few months ago. Walked past a couple of days ago and empty. Must be Thai logic :rolleyes:

It is now called the M Hotel and the cheapest room was over 4,000 baht the last time that I checked their website. No gym. No swimming pool. What a great deal. :whistling:

Speaking of cleanliness, it also says a lot when you leave 10 baht on the desk for the maid and she doesn't even take it, even after bringing new linen, towels, soap bars, and toilet paper rolls to your room every day whether you need it or not.

Maybe if you left a more appropiate 50baht she would.rolleyes.gif

WTK

It is now called the M Hotel and the cheapest room was over 4,000 baht the last time that I checked their website. No gym. No swimming pool. What a great deal. :whistling:

It's 1,100 baht if you book it on sawadee(dot)com. Looks like they have re-fitted their rooms but I wonder if the bathrooms are still smelly.

Edited by prism