Anti-Red Shirts Protest Grows

webfact

All major shopping malls closed in the area.Read: powerfull people losing big money now.

I don't think it will last much longer now :)

How are they losing big money? Yes, some consumers may not have ingress to the shops. Does that mean these people will not make a purchase forever? No. I think it will mean that they will delay the purchase for another day, like ohhh I dunno tomorrow. If someone needs something at Boots or Robinsons, if they really need it, they will go to another branch.

Let's look at it another way. If there was a small fire and the mall closed for a day or two, in order to make a business interruption claim, the claimants would have to show that there was an actual loss of revenues. Usually, in short term closures, there is a quick rebound. I would understand your point if one mall was closed for a week or so, but a day or two is a non event profit wise. The local alternative destinations are all shut, so there won't be a displacement of sales in the short period of closing either.

I see the mall closings as a non event. Big deal, they closed for 1/2 a day.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the curent situation is bigger than only to bring Thaksin back.

It certainly is, and I applaud that you observed this fact at least. The current situation, is bigger because it has created a huge anti-red feeling amongst the general population, and led to a certainty that the elections whenever they arrive (hopefully at the democratically legal specified time next year) , will result in a monstrous backlash against the Reds, who in a few long weeks have gone from a semi-political rural-focused movement in the eyes of normal Thais, into a fanatical Cult of baying thaksinites.

It is not hard to see why normal working-class citizens would feel like voting against the red cause @ the elections. After the reds cause gridlock in Summer heat, urinate & defecate on pavements, throw AIDS blood around in busy civilian areas,and are certainly implicated in several grenade attacks against poor working-class soldiers just doing their jobs & a woman walking home from work etc. My CCU-nurse friend(Thai) emailed me today saying 'exhausted revulsion' was the dominant feeling in her lower working-class friends group.

In mirror, normal Thais have seen the soldiers showing restraint, the friendly PM offering early elections & him encouraging people not to draw blood in streets because it is medically unsafe for them to do so.

It is obvious that these protests recently, have been as you rightly say 'more than just about Thaksin', they have been about the Electoral Seppuku of the red cause.

Edited by ovaltina

Meanwhile of course cars and motorcycles waving red flags are zooming up and down the street in both directions (illegal, as it's a one-way street!).

It is strange the way traffic violations like not wearing helmets and not abiding by one way rules are allowed to be completely ignored.

traffic laws and a law that demands that you must get a licence from the amphur before you can drive around in the community while using an electric amplified sound system (you know who is here the target, and yes noise pollution laws exist in Thailand) are the laws in thailand that the authorities use to crack down street rallies.

a lot of pending cases against protest leaders from all sides and rallies we never heard of are cases of operating a sound system on a public street without proper licence.

I suppose you do not have a business yourself. Clearly a lot of money is lost; all fixed costs just continue and not all purchases will be delayed. What if you own a restaurant in one of these shopping malls?

And also the tourists (who are usually large spenders) who are here only over the weekend. :)

I'm more concerned about the pink shirts' message for "peace". The red shirts are now into their 3rd week of protest without violence, while the pink shirts at Lumphini today attacked and took hostage a red shirt on a motorbike, until police officers saved him.

Red shirts = 3rd week without violence...

Pink shirts = not even 1 day...

Pink is clearly the new yellow this year.

Posting lies again, huh, Rainman?

Look up on youtube, a group of Red Shirt MEN attacking a short women on the walkway bridge outside the BTS entrance iirc. So your claim of no violence is false and a direct lie of previously posted clips and news here.

Please recant.

All major shopping malls closed in the area.Read: powerfull people losing big money now.

How are they losing big money? Yes, some consumers may not have ingress to the shops. Does that mean these people will not make a purchase forever? No. I think it will mean that they will delay the purchase for another day, like ohhh I dunno tomorrow. If someone needs something at Boots or Robinsons, if they really need it, they will go to another branch.

Let's look at it another way. If there was a small fire and the mall closed for a day or two, in order to make a business interruption claim, the claimants would have to show that there was an actual loss of revenues. Usually, in short term closures, there is a quick rebound. I would understand your point if one mall was closed for a week or so, but a day or two is a non event profit wise. The local alternative destinations are all shut, so there won't be a displacement of sales in the short period of closing either.

Yes and when the yellows closed the airport they didn't hurt tourism either?!?!?

I suppose you do not have a business yourself. Clearly a lot of money is lost; all fixed costs just continue and not all purchases will be delayed. What if you own a restaurant in one of these shopping malls?

And also the tourists (who are usually large spenders) who are here only over the weekend. :)

Or the simple fact that shopping is often a planned event where people watch for a product they want and when they can afford it (the first saturday of a month) they go and buy it. A forced closure by a group that has stated they will use violence means that sale goes somewhere else and does not in fact get postponed.

I'm more concerned about the pink shirts' message for "peace". The red shirts are now into their 3rd week of protest without violence, while the pink shirts at Lumphini today attacked and took hostage a red shirt on a motorbike, until police officers saved him.

Red shirts = 3rd week without violence...

Pink shirts = not even 1 day...

Pink is clearly the new yellow this year.

Posting lies again, huh, Rainman?

Look up on youtube, a group of Red Shirt MEN attacking a short women on the walkway bridge outside the BTS entrance iirc. So your claim of no violence is false and a direct lie of previously posted clips and news here.

Please recant.

Or the first day of the red shirt nob's rally where the guy with the billhorn attacked someone.

If he owned a business he would only be open 1 day a week (possibly a month) since he firmly believes that closing a retails store on a Saturday will not effect revenue or sales.

Or the simple fact that shopping is often a planned event where people watch for a product they want and when they can afford it (the first saturday of a month) they go and buy it. A forced closure by a group that has stated they will use violence means that sale goes somewhere else and does not in fact get postponed.

In case nobody has noticed the close the shopping district down was planned to fall just after everyone got paid. That wouldnt be coincidence

Yes and when the yellows closed the airport they didn't hurt tourism either?!?!?

I was due to fly home to UK that week and my flight was delayed 10 days. It didn't concern me one tiny bit. And I have returned as a tourist many times since.

Looking slightly wider-lens, the action at the airport was to usher in a new business-friendly leadership & bring justice to count against the grand-thievery of Thaksin.

Shedding Thaksin's corruption and his quite frankly mental-case personality can only have improved Tourism after the airport demo was over. I know I felt safer as a tourist flying back into a country in which that convicted arch-fraudster was no longer in charge.

Edited by ovaltina

Robinsons should rotate closing stores on Saturdays since in your mind they would make the same money with fewer costs ... not the sharpest tool in the shed or is the desperation of trying to excuse the lunatics Red getting the best of you. Funny how so many major chains that have been around for the last century all over the globe have taken an exactly opposite business approach than your illogical and bizzare stance.

This is the story actively peddled by both the Thaksin apologists and the fellow travellers (I don't like Thaksin but....) who follow up the rear.

Do not be fooled.

The current situation described by the apologists: 'the poor', 'the class war', 'the elite' is one which gets those who like to think of themselves as radicals excited.

(The forum 'come on you reds' team)

This is the image red leaders wish to paint for you re the 'current situation'.

However, it is the key focal objective (not the means to that objective, nor the picture on the canvas) which defines everything in their strategy.

The objective is nothing less than the return of Thaksin to power and financial control.

Nothing else. No compromise.

Thaksin knows this. He wrote the script.

Any vehicles such as 'the bigger picture' which provide a wrapper and legitimisation of his campaign are and will be used.

the red cheerleaders like to think of themselves as a part of a popular front.

But in reality they are the carriors of Thaksin's palenquin.

However much they wriggle.

I sincerely doubt that. The veneer of civilisation remains very thin in Thailand, and the culture of violence and allowing injustice/violence to occur will take a long time to dismantle. You are living in a country where sexual deviancy, murder, revenge, corruption, authoritarianism, secrecy etc. pervades every level of society, especially the uppermost levels. Have you ever seen a drunk/stoned Thai man when he is really angry? Have you ever seen the look in a Thai woman's eyes when she is cheated on? Have you listened to the rhetoric of the royalists/nationalists when they speak about someone accused of LM?

Now tell me again that Thailand is past lynching.

Re: leadership, how about Jaturon, Suranand or Jakrapob (were he ever to return to the country.)?

I've never heard of a country where sexual deviancy/murder/corruption etc. isn't rampant.In UK there is so much corruption they even want the Tories back regardless of what that may mean lol.

I've counselled drug/alcohol addicts at Outreach (N.Uk.) and tbh most of them have major anger components. Most women get bloody furious when they're cheated on, I know I do & I bet if you went to Inuit Eskimo village or the Amazon river tribes and cheated on their women you'd get whaling-harpoon / machete through you pdq! What I'm saying is you are mistaking Thailand for 'human nature'. Humans are complex messed-up creatures the world over, from the billionaires down to the shantys.

And it is wrong to label this beautiful and ancient Thailand & its wide-spectrum population as being any different from other human beings.

I was due to fly home to UK that week and my flight was delayed 10 days. It didn't concern me one tiny bit. And I have returned as a tourist many times since.

Looking slightly wider-lens, the action at the airport was to usher in a new business-friendly leadership & bring justice to count against the grand-thievery of Thaksin.

Shedding Thaksin's corruption and his quite frankly mental-case personality can only have improved Tourism after the airport demo was over. I know I felt safer as a tourist flying back into a country in which that convicted arch-fraudster was no longer in charge.

Not sure your point but you have manipulated mine by editing the quotes. Are you trying to say that the Yellows didn't hurt tourism and that the Reds are not hurting business (and tourism) now? I just cannot understand your point talking about your claimed personal experience.

Lol 'claimed'. You are just a random stranger on the Web & so am I. You could be Osama Bin Laden for all I would know. Can you claim otherwise ? No, I didn't think you could.

My point stands ; I was tourist then & still am, and the yellows protest did not stop me flying back as a tourist repeatedly despite them having delayed my flight home as a tourist. I'm so very terribly sorry if you could not understand this simple statement. Will try potato-prints next time.

The Reds didn't get what they want at all. A promise of a dissolution in 9 months ("unless the situation changes") is as good as a promise for a dissolution in 10 years.

The Reds are very aware of why the 9 month schedule + "constitutional reform" is so vital for the democrats.

9 months:

-Allows Prayuth to succeed Anupong as per the governments bargain with the Army.

-Allows the Government to set the next budget, allocating money to the Army for more goodies/kickbacks

-Allows the Government to continue its propaganda campaign using state funds

You might also have picked up on Abhisit's question re: electoral rules, party disqualification etc..

HINT: Good chances PT might be banned in the next 9 months.

Constitutional reform:

-Has nothing to do with democratization or bringing it in line with 1997 rules, but changing constituencies to ensure the minor parties (specifically BJT) get re-elected, thus paving the way for another Democrat led grand coalition.

OK, to first address 9 months.

1. yes, appointing army head is what both groups want; a snap election which would enable PT to have a shot at appointing someone biased to assist them is why PT want an election now

2. budget - neither here nor there; obviously PT want a shot at eating some for themselves as all politicians here seem to (except perhaps the honest ones, let me know if you meet a significant number :-) more importantly the economy is improving so sooner rather than later is better politically. You seem to single out paying money to the army; give me a break/cry me a river; this is standard PT propaganda but in fact represents a small portion of the total annual budget - EVERY politician wants to set the budget. PT is no different

3. Propoganda campaign. I want proof. Show me. Show me exact amounts. i am frigging sick of hearing this after having watched TRT squander huge amounts of money, my tax money, promoting themselves and their rubbish. The current govt have done little of the sort

4. PT to be disbanded???! The only thing PT care about is fiddling the constitution specifically so there are fewer punishments for cheating in an election! I'm unsure what else they want to change!

5. Constitutional reform. Well for a start, under 1997 rules, Thaksin is guilty also of everything he is accused of also; it isn't like a cloak of invisibility. However, how come only PT know what the majority of Thais want in constitutional reform, and we have to vote for them first, then we will find out what sort of a constitution we are going to get? Why can't the two issues be separate?

As for you suggestions on potential leader.

Suranand is impossible; he never suggested he had the slightest promise in office; he has no successful policies that the rural poor who make up the voter base now of PT (Bangkok is not strong for PT especially among the business sector) but only the business community even really know who he is. I do not believe at any point that anyone has seriously suggested him because he doesn't even lead a faction; he would be left out in the cold. While we may read his deranged ill thought out ramblings each week for amusement, he's a political list MP and cabinet minister of something at best.

Jakapop....I know Jakapop rather well. He is incapable of political leadership, he thinks the world of himself but has only the redeeming quality of being a good spokesperson who speaks fairly well in front of a camera. Other than that, he's a political lightweight. As a Mingkwan type, he would not be able to control the factions upcountry by any means, nor does he have the financial firepower or political reputation to do so. He has very little idea of what actually policy specific economic policy for instance is supposed to encompass, and he is a relatively smart guy, but could be relied on to be perhaps one of those politicians who rewards friends (as he alledgedly did when he headed up the PM's Office under Samak, spending 150MB on a one night rebranding of a TV station before firing all the staff who spoke ill of Thaksin in a hark back to the ITV rebels days) and ignores advisors.

Also, now that people can watch what he said, unless there is a change in certain key aspects of the Thai psyche regarding who they love, what he said was simply unacceptable. Plus he lied that he said it in THai, until it was caught that he had previously said exactly that in Thai in Los Angeles. The see muang aspect may not help also, given that apparently red shirts aren't up for a bit of backdoor 2 boys 1 cup action.

Chaturon is a possibility, despite scorecard calling me out big time when I previously implied the guy's not a knob (after all, he did turn a blind eye to the extra judicial killings, the lies about the chicken flu, and so on) but I do think he has the education and experience that the other two don't. But...let's not forget that he led TRT after Sudarat refused with spectacular lack or column inches and coverage. He's a bit of a Somkid type in that he doesn't have that magnetism that Thaksin has.

Which is the interesting thing about Newin. I have no doubt if he was still on the TRT/PPP/PT money train, right now that would be the only guy they would look at as a leader. Very clever, ruthless, financial firepower, connections, verbose, tough as nails in a street thug meet you after a footie game and head butt you kind of way. This is the sort of model that works for appealing to upcountry voters. Now, whether you would want such a guy running things.....it's basically the thought of twits like Chalerm and Chavalit that kind of pushes a person to say, who is the least bad of this lot?

And that's a scary thing, when on the other side, you have guys like Korn who would have more brains that this lot listed aboe put together, plus the acumen to make things happen.....but upcountry his skills are worth very little.

The strongman I'll sort stuff out image. Chaturon lacking it a bit.

I dunno. I suspect one of the big issues the red shirts have is that they are indeed a one hit record; it's Thaksin or no one. Because there isn't a 2nd person they can turn to with the magnetism to acheive anything.

I enjoyed reading your very informative post on the political aspect of things .

I would however like to add the economic side in perpective .

Yes the economy is recovering from the debacle it had reached last year

but not that fast .

The thai economy is mostly export oriented toward US and Europe

Europe side is still in the drain , look at the time it took them to help Greece ,

events in France , and so on. They traditionally lag 6 months behind the US which put them

smack in the crisis.

The US are nursing their wounds , only recently consumer spending has been

rising again , too many jobless . Housing still in bad shape .

Back to Thailand , upcountry voters are firmly on the side of Thaksin. The way

i look at it , he seems to them as the guy who can make it happen all over again .

Corruption and other abuses by TRT/PPP ranks low priority

, upcountry thais have different sensitivity to those then us westerners anyway

To be reelected or elected (repend on one shirt color) Abhisit would need an improvement in the economy

that i cant see happening right now , and show tangible results , not sure if in 9 months might not be a bit late

and ideal for PTP

Also Abhisit needs money now to jumpstart his programs if he borrows like he did , upcountry folks will tell you

that in contrast Thaksin paid back all the foreign debts (IMF and the like) , so what is the PM doing ? If he finances his

programs by imposing tax on land , again rurals will be shouting against him.

Seems also Abhisit's PR side seems really lacking behind Thaksin , but then perhaps just an impression and country folks

only hear what they like to hear .

Anyway I dont know if on the dems side there is someone with enough prestige in the business

community to appear credible to upcountry folks , someone who would for sometimes have

any interest in public life in the interest of his country ?

And anyway if PTP came to power once elections , then is there really a concern about Thaksin becoming

PM again anyway ?

Edit : PTP not PRT ... confusing party names , phoenix like

Edited by moresomekl

Sounds like the PM has just announced that todays action is beyond that protected in the constitution. This could be interesting.

I have been trying to figure out exactly how the reds can be removed from the area without risking billions of baht in damage AND significant damage to Thailand's image.

Teargas or Watercannon -- after a repeated lawful order for the crowds to disperse would probably have them breaking in to the malls etc to escape. Property damage and looting could be extensive. Blocking them off from egress points and attempting to starve them out gets the same result. Sending in troops to seal all but ONE egress point and to prtect property seems to have the potential to work if done well, BUT it wouldn't take much to have the mob turn on the troops and force an escalation into full blown rioting/violence.

The only positive note to this is that since Veera has added his voice to calling for violence from the reds it does take some of the pressure off the government to treat the protesters with "kid gloves". No western government is now going to say TOO much about the situation here in Thailand if it goes bad since the Reds who asked for foreign help started talking about violence (again!).

Bear in mind the Hua Hin thing and timing. The government wants the reds to give them an excuse to shut them down too, while the reds want the government to be seen to be overreacting or to be seen as incapable of keeping law and order in Bangkok. Lets see who comes out better. Right now the reds are definitely more open with provocation and have defintiely started interferring with the constitutional rights of others. Right now the government are looking a bit weak. We will see.

Bear in mind the Hua Hin thing and timing. The government wants the reds to give them an excuse to shut them down too, while the reds want the government to be seen to be overreacting or to be seen as incapable of keeping law and order in Bangkok. Lets see who comes out better. Right now the reds are definitely more open with provocation and have defintiely started interferring with the constitutional rights of others. Right now the government are looking a bit weak. We will see.

I guess you could see it as weak. You could also say that the government has now given the reds enough rope and that the reds are now choking on it.

The challenge for the govenment is to remove the reds without allowing too much property damage AFTER having publicly issued a lawful order to disperse (repeatedly).

This is the story actively peddled by both the Thaksin apologists and the fellow travellers (I don't like Thaksin but....) who follow up the rear.

Do not be fooled.

The current situation described by the apologists: 'the poor', 'the class war', 'the elite' is one which gets those who like to think of themselves as radicals excited.

However, it is the key focal objective (not the means to that objective, nor the picture on the canvas) which defines everything in their strategy.

The objective is nothing less than the return of Thaksin to power and financial control.

Any vehicles such as 'the bigger picture' which provide a wrapper and legitimisation of his campaign are and will be used.

Wise words for certain.

Many movements through history have been simply Trojan mimics, once the horse is in the city, suddenly it ceases to be a friendly gift horse and unloads a mass of invaders.

This forum has had, literally, people saying that they speak on behalf of 'all poor people'. This is completely fairy-tale bed-time stories .

Robin Hood, stealing from the rich & giving to poor. Lovely bedtime stories for children, but somehow out of place in a planet that is Owned 100% by corporate super-cartels. Even the wealthiest governments on Earth, are owned 100% by hyper-corporations. There is not one politician alive, who is in power without the support and approval of corporate interests.

What totally amazes me, is not that the unfortunate people who are Thaksins street-pawns in this sorry game, do not understand the basic sociological facts of Corporate dominance, but that people on discussion boards can pontificate about "I speak for all poor people ! Now is the time !" etc lol. when it is painfully obvious that who-ever is in charge will become a comedy sock-puppet for the multinational Corporations within seconds of assuming power.

The best one can hope for in a leader, is a sane one who follows the corporate orders from above and tries to balance the interests of the people below. The notion that any of these red leaders seen so far could manage the former with decorum, is laughable. And once those Ruling-elitist foreigner business~corporates walk away, these internet-revolutionaries will have to build their phones, computers & broadband out of hessian weave & wishful thinking, because there won't be much tech-business left.

It is this beautiful developing land, which suffers when it is forcibly dragged back into low-tech.

To me, this thaksinite story was never "Robin Hood" as it has been spun here , it was "The pied piper of hamelin" & a lone piper followed by a procession who would only listen to his tune.

Edited by ovaltina

Do not be fooled.

Wise words for certain.

Many movements through history have been simply Trojan mimics, once the horse is in the city, suddenly it ceases to be a friendly gift horse and unloads a mass of invaders.

This forum has had, literally, people saying that they speak on behalf of 'all poor people'. This is completely fairy-tale bed-time stories .

Robin Hood, stealing from the rich & giving to poor. Lovely bedtime stories for children, but somehow out of place in a planet that is Owned 100% by corporate super-cartels. Even the wealthiest governments on Earth, are owned 100% by hyper-corporations. There is not one politician alive, who is in power without the support and approval of corporate interests.

What totally amazes me, is not that the unfortunate people who are Thaksins street-pawns in this sorry game, do not understand the basic sociological facts of Corporate dominance, but that people on discussion boards can pontificate about "I speak for all poor people ! Now is the time !" etc lol. when it is painfully obvious that who-ever is in charge will become a comedy sock-puppet for the multinational Corporations within seconds of assuming power.

The best one can hope for in a leader, is a sane one who follows the corporate orders from above and tries to balance the interests of the people below. The notion that any of these red leaders seen so far could manage the former with decorum, is laughable. And once those Ruling-elitist foreigner business~corporates walk away, these internet-revolutionaries will have to build their phones, computers & broadband out of hessian weave & wishful thinking, because there won't be much tech-business left.

It is this beautiful developing land, which suffers when it is forcibly dragged back into low-tech.

To me, this thaksinite story was never "Robin Hood" as it has been spun here , it was "The pied piper of hamelin" & a lone piper followed by a procession who would only listen to his tune.

Evidently .

But then perhaps yu should try to explain this upcountry where Thaksin has rock-star status

I don't think I really care who's back-editing their posts; however, I would suggest that personal remarks towards members by other members of whatever nature will now cease or this thread will be closed and warnings will be issued.

If you feel someone is misbehaving, the appropriate procedure is to use the REPORT function or PM a mod. Alternatively, you can just put them on 'IGNORE.' Their bad behaviour does not give you an excuse for bad behaviour and if mods have to step in, you will also be warned.

post-50139-1270288756_thumb.png

Regional Disparity in Thailand

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/THAILAN...OnDisparity.ppt

•The poorest: Northeast (13.05% or 2,830,300 people in 2007)

•The second poorest: North

•The fewest poor: Bangkok (1.14% or 64,400 people)

•The highest unemployment rate: Bangkok

•The lowest unemployment rate: Northeast

http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economi...AND-WEALTH.html

Distribution of Income or Consumption by Percentage Share: Thailand

Lowest 10% 2.8

Lowest 20% 6.4

Second 20% 9.8

Third 20% 14.2

Fourth 20% 21.2

Highest 20% 48.4

Highest 10% 32.4

Survey year: 1998

post-50139-1270289213_thumb.png

Edited by whiterussian

I certainly didn't agree with the Yellows running roughshod over everything and I've never fully understood why that was permitted. Unfortunately, it has led to few options except to let the Reds do the same. I am afraid the remarks about 'double standards' should be rephrased as 'no standards'.

I hope when this rally ends there some serious limits put on to where, when and how a demonstration can occur. There is a difference between the right to assemble and anarchy. At least I think so.

post-50139-1270288756_thumb.png

Regional Disparity in Thailand

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/THAILAN...OnDisparity.ppt

•The poorest: Northeast (13.05% or 2,830,300 people in 2007)

•The second poorest: North

•The fewest poor: Bangkok (1.14% or 64,400 people)

•The highest unemployment rate: Bangkok

•The lowest unemployment rate: Northeast

http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economi...AND-WEALTH.html

Distribution of Income or Consumption by Percentage Share: Thailand

Lowest 10% 2.8

Lowest 20% 6.4

Second 20% 9.8

Third 20% 14.2

Fourth 20% 21.2

Highest 20% 48.4

Highest 10% 32.4

Survey year: 1998

Please feel free to note that similar numbers will be seen in the US regarding wealth distribution. Please also note that BKK consists of millions of people from the NE that are living there and reaping the benefits of being in the capital and sending $$ home.