Constant Problems With Maxnett Router & Belkin N1 Wireless Router

livinthailandos

First I want everyone to know this Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router has no place to input a phone line you have to hook it up with a router than has the telephone line, hence constant problems, even though I've setup the Belkin Router its pretty much a hit or miss if my wifi works, please note I have a Maxnett Router, than uses the internet then a RJ45 connect to the Belkin, My wired connection to the internet always works, but the wifi sometimes works and sometimes doesn't anyone out there have any ideas on how to help me with this before I give up and toss it in the trash

You have a wireless router. You need a wireless modem if you want to eliminate the router. And I might suggest you bite the bullet and use the wireless router suggested by your internet provider. Setup and continuous functionality can be a problem if you are not familiar with the equipment.

I had a belkin wireless modem router. It was a nightmare. Kept hanging etc. I had to send it back and it was away for a month.

When I got it back it was a bit better, but the wifi was hit and miss and I occaisionally had to reset it.

Have just bought a TP Link - a Chinese brand - all in one. Was thinking about a linksys model but heard the new one overheats. Would recommend tossing the belkin.

No complaints about the TP Link yet. Seems to be pretty good. Useful setup program too that made the initial connection an absolute breeze.

Try to track down your problem more specifically.

Is it really only the wireless module that causes issues (A) or is it that (:) your internet connection is not stable when connected through your Belkin router via wireless.

If (A) it can be a problem with the router or with your laptop, and of course both hardware or software related - or just a basic problem with the stability of the wireless signal due to distance, walls, interference, etc.

If (:D a software (firmware) problem with your Belkin router is very likely. You might also suffer from double NATing, if your ISP modem is a router by itself, and the Belkin device providing router functionality on top of that. Most likely in this case you would have the same issues when connecting to the router by wire.

In both cases there are several action which you might take to troubleshoot and track down your problem further. However, I recommend checking first which of the two basic categories you fall in.

Turn off the wireless adapter on your laptop (using the hardware switch) and connect your laptop to the Belkin router by cable (NOT to the Maxnet directly). Test for a view hours. If you still have the same problems, this points to (:D and it might get tricky for a novice user to solve. Otherwise you can troubleshoot your wireless connection (A).

welo

Edited by welo