Calling 800 Numbers In The Us

phetaroi

I use skype...works great and can also enter extensions after the call is answered...you still pay the normal rate though...

Also, if you check the company's website, they will usually list a non 800 number you can contact if necessary...sometimes...

:)

Correct. I'm familiar with the problem, I work as a contractor to the U.S. military in Greece. You can't call toll-free 800 numbers from outside the U.S.

The military has a DSN (military phone system) number you can call in the states which allows military overseas to place toll-free 800 calls through that DSN telephone system. But you can't access that unless you are on a military base.

I use the system to call my bank in the U.S. toll-free.

:D

Someone correct me if wrong (I know you will) but I think it all depends on the 800 number and how it is set in the system. I think the owner of the number can arrange for the number to be reached from anywhere in the world or it can have limited access. Depends on the owner and what the need is. If they are a business with international clients/customers they may have the number open to calls from around the world but if their primary use is for USA only customer then no need to pay the extra cost for international access. Remember the owner of the 800 number pays for the call.

If you use Skype to the USA then you can call any of the toll free numbers and the call is free just as if you are sitting in the USA.

invest in a magic jack, you can call anywhere in the US and Canada $19.95 per year ...Works great

I have a friend who also told me this. I went to their website and it says it can't be used outside the US. From what you say, it can. Does it work basically the same way over here? If so, I will get one for sure!

invest in a magic jack, you can call anywhere in the US and Canada $19.95 per year ...Works great

I have a friend who also told me this. I went to their website and it says it can't be used outside the US. From what you say, it can. Does it work basically the same way over here? If so, I will get one for sure!

Gives you a local yank # that can be used anywhere around the world with a good enough internet connection.

Yes it depends whether the 800 line is set up to accept international calls. Dial the Thailand ATT access code 1-800-0001-33 than the 800 number and it will go through if the 800 number accepts international calls. It's a free call.

Edited by Danger

1. You can call on any phone using normal 001 access but will have to pay normal rates - call is completed after your are advised in Thai and English that you will be charged.

2. 800 numbers are not all from the same provider and only some accept international calls - but if you know the provider and that they accept calls you can use the international access number to connect and it will be free.