Thai Forces Use Tear Gas, Water Cannon Against Protesters

webfact

After reading these post's there appears to be a lot of thai I presume calling for the Reds to disband because of the damage there doing to Thailands infrastructure and the damage there doing to there tourism industry.

Excuse me but when the upper and Elite ( the yellow shirts) brought the country to its knees when they closed down the airports and trapped tourists inside there hotels. Why wasn't there a State of Emergency declared then or a clamp down and closure of TV stations.

Let me assure you yummie the yellow protesters damaged your reputation and cost you more in lost tourism then this present protest.

Ask ex-PM Somchai the brother-in-law of Thaksin why there was no crack down on the yellow shirts.

Oh I forgot, he is just Thaksin's proxy just like Samak after him.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

spacer.gifWorld NewsThailand: Time for Fresh Elections ( 0)comicon.jpgprint.gif Print This ShareThisBy Giles Ji UngpakornPolitical Writings on Thailand Friday, Apr 9, 2010

After the military-backed Democrat Party Government of Abhisit Vejjajiva declared a state of emergency and issued arrest warrants for pro-democracy Red Shirt leaders, the Government has attempted to close down all internet and satellite media or websites which don't tow the government line.

Since late March the Red Shirts have been holding peaceful and disciplined protests in Bangkok. They have not destroyed anything or held weapons of any kind. Their demands are for the dissolution of parliament and immediate fresh elections. The military-backed Government is totally opposed to elections, since the Democrat Party has never ever won a majority.

The Red Shirt protests are in stark contrast to the Yellow Shirt PAD demonstrators in 2008. The PAD used violence and carried weapons. They occupied and wrecked Government House and seized and shut down the international airports. No one has been punished for these criminal acts. The PAD demand that the democratic space be reduced because they believe that the majority of the people do not deserve the vote. The Democrat Party has worked hand in hand with the PAD and the army. Yet Hans van Baalen Dutch MEP, President of the Liberal International, supports the military backed government in Thailand and claims that a crackdown on Red Shirts would defend the Rule of Law in Thailand.

Abhisit justifies his state of emergency on the grounds that the Red Shirts are blocking shopping centres! This is a lie, one of many lies told by the Thai Prime Minister. Another lie is that the Red Shirt media is advocating violence. They have done nothing of the kind. Yesterday's brief invasion of the parliament grounds by Red Shirts was in response to CS gas canisters being thrown at the peaceful crowd outside.

Today the Red Shirts went to their satellite TV station to ask for it back, yet foreign media like the BBC claim wrongly claim that the Red Shirts were trying to "occupy" the satellite station. What they wanted was for the transmissions to be reinstated.

The Red Shirts are a mass movement of workers and peasants. They are demanding a restoration of Democracy. Most support former PM Taksin because his government introduced Thailand's first ever universal health care scheme and pro-poor policies. Foreign media often incorrectly portray the Red Shirts as rural people. They are poor people from urban and rural areas, including Bangkok. They represent the vast majority of Thai citizens. They proudly call themselves "serfs" in a class war with the authoritarian elites.

Record of the Abhisit Government

The Democrat Party took over the Government after:

• Continuously criticising the Taksin Government for using state funds for the poor

• Refusing to take part in the elections of 2006 because they knew they would lose

• A military coup in September 2006

• A military Constitution was introduced in 2007 which decreased the democratic space

• They lost the December 2007 election

• They supported the PAD violent demonstrations which seized Government House and closed down the international airports

• The Royalist Courts were used twice to dissolve Red Shirt parties which won majorities

• Corrupt politicians were bullied and bribed by the army to change sides and support the Democrat Party

Political Writings on Thailand

All This triade, who cares pal, if Thaskin was a statesman of substance , he would tell everone to behave,and to take it on the chin , regroup to have ago another ELECTION day, now you have a country racked in what is heading for civil war and guess who will take over runing the country, Ah the Generals, what in heavens name would a billionare want to be Prime Minister for POWER comes to mind POWER, next Bill Gates or Warren B will be running for Pres.Hmmm Maybe not a bad idea..

state of emergency should not be used against the cornerstone of the democratic process - independent mass media.

Many now would be convinced, in thailand and abroad, that thailand really is an authoritarian regime state, ruled by the army and police, with disregard to laws

What you say is true my friend, but this is for all of Asia, not only Thailand , police carry 3 rubber, 1live ammo in indonesia, a life is not regarded as important to the big part of town, power is, an agreement with the millitary when democratic elections ( I say that with no pun intended) were first held in Thai , was that all heads of departments would still be Generals, now who runs Thailand ,the first move is to get rid of the Generals, I'd like to see that.

yes but Thailand pretends to be the "good' pupil .....Everything shows that we are far from a Democracy, decisions are biased, no credibility anymore in every side because the Thai History is a succession of law cheatings or distortings, law amendments to suit the situation. I do believe that it is time to a Goverment of National Unity to clean this mess, and voids the imbalance: all yellow and red shirts leaders= same treatment, no complacence on any side.

In my Country (France), we do have (more often than the average) mob rallyes. It is part of the Democracy, it turns from time to time violent (more violent than in Thailand). The Government is utilising special anti riot forces (the CRS) and Police.

For 2 reasons, Army is not used:

- Because it is a symbol of National Unity, we do know that inside there are the same divisions than in the Civil society. You must not put the soldiers in a situation they have to choose a side. Army has to be used for external threats ONLY.

- Army must not be involved in politics, Army is at the service of the Nation as a whole and not to a part of the Civil society. If you involve them in politician police operations, later on you give them justification to proceed to "Coup".

We have to separate the "gender".

May I remember that Army is divided like the Civil society and if things are going too far, Army will provide the support to both sides in a Civil War (Spanish History in the 1930's). Army has to stay neutral, and be the reference for ALL Thais. I will add than in Thailand it is also the ROYAL Thai Army, more than in any other Countries Army must be a symbol of UNITY.

POLICE with the required reinforcements (Special Units) is the tool for controlling a mob.

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

And I will add one more reason for the Neutrality of Army:

Recent history of Thailand is a regroupement of dozens of small entities. The current political division corresponds also roughly to a territorial division. (North against Bangkok + South)

Army must be the Guarantee and the Reference for stability of the Country within its boundaries for ALL THAIS above the current political territorial partition.

So what happened after they fired the tear gas?

Would someone explain the process of demonstrating in Lack of Sanctions (LOS)? Are permits asked for/granted? Is there any procedure/restrictions/time lines? Or is is OK to merely do whatever the hel_l ya want and if you pay alot of people then you can control an entire city/country???? This "parade" of events seems to be as being more like a circus of HIV/Hep C blood slinging day workers (paid) idiots who do not love this country.

Shame, the wonderful, Buddhist, hard working Thai people really DESERVE better.

Keoki

Their leader Weng is a Maoist. In fact, as far I can tell the only intellectual factions of the reds are also Maoists. Read up on the history of Thailand's neighbors about what happens when Maoists take power. This will take into taboo areas we can't talk about, but savvy people understand.

Don't tell me that Thaksin is Maoist as well! :)

Strickly Observant Opportunist.

That quote IS NOT FROM ME - please correct it - I would never say such a foolish thing!!!

After reading these post's there appears to be a lot of thai I presume calling for the Reds to disband because of the damage there doing to Thailands infrastructure and the damage there doing to there tourism industry.

Excuse me but when the upper and Elite ( the yellow shirts) brought the country to its knees when they closed down the airports and trapped tourists inside there hotels. Why wasn't there a State of Emergency declared then or a clamp down and closure of TV stations.

Let me assure you yummie the yellow protesters damaged your reputation and cost you more in lost tourism then this present protest.

spot on! double standards - I have pointed this out to the Yuppie Yellows in many posts - not that they listened mind... :)

No, regardless of it's truth it is akin to yelling fire

in a crowded room filled with people wearing straw clothes.

Surely some innocents will be injured.

Sure it's truth if there is a fire, but it's also not allowed.

Huh? It's not allowed to yell "fire" when it's the truth?

Mate, I think you've lost it, lol.

that happened a long time ago - alas a few yellow yuppies on here could not feel the heat even if their beloved blackberries were on fire

No, regardless of it's truth it is akin to yelling fire

in a crowded room filled with people wearing straw clothes.

Surely some innocents will be injured.

Sure it's truth if there is a fire, but it's also not allowed.

Huh? It's not allowed to yell "fire" when it's the truth?

Mate, I think you've lost it, lol.

that happened a long time ago - alas a few yellow yuppies on here could not feel the heat even if their beloved blackberries were on fire

spot on! double standards - I have pointed this out to the Yuppie Yellows in many posts - not that they listened mind... :)

OK. Was Abhisit in charge of the government at that time? Who was in the charge of the government?

I think that the state of emergency was declared but the military refused to act. I would have to say that the military is the root of all political unrest in Thailand, and is the most potent parasite of Thailand's true democracy. Now if we only can change that...

spacer.gifWorld NewsThailand: Time for Fresh Elections ( 0)comicon.jpgprint.gif Print This ShareThisBy Giles Ji UngpakornPolitical Writings on Thailand Friday, Apr 9, 2010

After the military-backed Democrat Party Government of Abhisit Vejjajiva declared a state of emergency and issued arrest warrants for pro-democracy Red Shirt leaders, the Government has attempted to close down all internet and satellite media or websites which don't tow the government line.

Since late March the Red Shirts have been holding peaceful and disciplined protests in Bangkok. They have not destroyed anything or held weapons of any kind. Their demands are for the dissolution of parliament and immediate fresh elections. The military-backed Government is totally opposed to elections, since the Democrat Party has never ever won a majority.

The Red Shirt protests are in stark contrast to the Yellow Shirt PAD demonstrators in 2008. The PAD used violence and carried weapons. They occupied and wrecked Government House and seized and shut down the international airports. No one has been punished for these criminal acts. The PAD demand that the democratic space be reduced because they believe that the majority of the people do not deserve the vote. The Democrat Party has worked hand in hand with the PAD and the army. Yet Hans van Baalen Dutch MEP, President of the Liberal International, supports the military backed government in Thailand and claims that a crackdown on Red Shirts would defend the Rule of Law in Thailand.

Abhisit justifies his state of emergency on the grounds that the Red Shirts are blocking shopping centres! This is a lie, one of many lies told by the Thai Prime Minister. Another lie is that the Red Shirt media is advocating violence. They have done nothing of the kind. Yesterday's brief invasion of the parliament grounds by Red Shirts was in response to CS gas canisters being thrown at the peaceful crowd outside.

Today the Red Shirts went to their satellite TV station to ask for it back, yet foreign media like the BBC claim wrongly claim that the Red Shirts were trying to "occupy" the satellite station. What they wanted was for the transmissions to be reinstated.

The Red Shirts are a mass movement of workers and peasants. They are demanding a restoration of Democracy. Most support former PM Taksin because his government introduced Thailand's first ever universal health care scheme and pro-poor policies. Foreign media often incorrectly portray the Red Shirts as rural people. They are poor people from urban and rural areas, including Bangkok. They represent the vast majority of Thai citizens. They proudly call themselves "serfs" in a class war with the authoritarian elites.

• Continuously criticising the Taksin Government for using state funds for the poor

• Refusing to take part in the elections of 2006 because they knew they would lose

• A military Constitution was introduced in 2007 which decreased the democratic space

• They supported the PAD violent demonstrations which seized Government House and closed down the international airports

• The Royalist Courts were used twice to dissolve Red Shirt parties which won majorities

• Corrupt politicians were bullied and bribed by the army to change sides and support the Democrat Party

At time of SOE, ThaiVisa is at risk of being shut down for publishing any writing og Giles Ji Ungpakorn. Becareful.

"If anything, the firing of that tear gas is what provoked them to push through and break through the lines into the building." Reported by BBC (neutral enough?).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8610740.stm

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but it was reported here that the tear gas came on the heels of molotov coctails being thrown from the crowd of protesters? Was that information incorrect?

pictures anybody,or video clip??

I thought Palestine is in the Middle East!

Molotov coctails?

I dont think the reds know how to make and use the real thing,good so.

When is the press etc,starting to call the protesters"terrorists" ???

this should be required reading for jinglethingy, animatic and jdasia - but they are infected by lack of clear thinking and yellow fever - excellent post

"If anything, the firing of that tear gas is what provoked them to push through and break through the lines into the building." Reported by BBC (neutral enough?).

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but it was reported here that the tear gas came on the heels of molotov coctails being thrown from the crowd of protesters? Was that information incorrect?

Molotov coctails?

Please uplod a clip of any fire or Molotov coctails. I have only seen smoke, no fire at all.

If you want to see a clip of Army shooting red, go to CNN site now. (or follow the link in my previous post).

OK. Was Abhisit in charge of the government at that time? Who was in the charge of the government?

I think that the state of emergency was declared but the military refused to act. I would have to say that the military is the root of all political unrest in Thailand, and is the most potent parasite of Thailand's true democracy. Now if we only can change that...

well... actually... i do agree with you on this one... but how to do?

state of emergency should not be used against the cornerstone of the democratic process - independent mass media.

It is martial law. It is temporary. If this media is used to incite violent insurgency and promote a violent rebellion, it bloody well SHOULD be shut down. The speech from the red leaders became illegal speech. Not all speech is legal, even in the west.

Utter UTTER nonsense - never happens in my country even when you get extreme Muslims saying death to Americans and Europeans - this is absolutely the last thing nthey should have done - muzzle free speach - everyone will see Abhisit as an Army Puppet

Try going to Saudi, Iran etc and say death to muslims!!

It is going to be difficult for Abhisit to get mad at the military which appointed him! For everyone's sake, Abhisit must go! He has plenty of cash, his buddies have been feeding at the trough for over a year (over 64 years, really). There is no excuse for this brat to hang on.

It is martial law. It is temporary. If this media is used to incite violent insurgency and promote a violent rebellion, it bloody well SHOULD be shut down. The speech from the red leaders became illegal speech. Not all speech is legal, even in the west.

Utter UTTER nonsense - never happens in my country even when you get extreme Muslims saying death to Americans and Europeans - this is absolutely the last thing nthey should have done - muzzle free speach - everyone will see Abhisit as an Army Puppet

Try going to Saudi, Iran etc and say death to muslims!!

try saying it in UK or USA! they can say death to Americans and all that - coz that's ok isn't it? what a topsy turvy world!

Their leader Weng is a Maoist. In fact, as far I can tell the only intellectual factions of the reds are also Maoists. Read up on the history of Thailand's neighbors about what happens when Maoists take power. This will take into taboo areas we can't talk about, but savvy people understand.

Don't tell me that Thaksin is Maoist as well! :)

Strickly Observant Opportunist.

That quote IS NOT FROM ME - please correct it - I would never say such a foolish thing!!!

20 pages back, somewhere, impossible to fix, it was not clear you didn't say it,

and blame the max number of quotes ands extremely difficult way of editing nested quotes.

Sorry but too late nothing can be done for it. I wasn't even replying to the top part, only the bottom.

You want it, ask a mod to delete your name from the quote, I can't.

20 pages back, somewhere, impossible to fix, it was not clear you didn't say it,

and blame the max number of quotes ands extremely difficult way of editing nested quotes.

Sorry but too late nothing can be done for it. I wasn't even replying to the top part, only the bottom.

You want it, ask a mod to delete your name from the quote, I can't.

forget it - it was someone else - people need to be careful but its obviously the post before mine and you can't imagine that I would call the reds Maoists! haha moving on...

Molotov coctails?

Please uplod a clip of any fire or Molotov coctails. I have only seen smoke, no fire at all.

If you want to see a clip of Army shooting red, go to CNN site now. (or follow the link in my previous post).

I'm not able to view clips, but it woud appear that information came from this and other news agencies:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/...article1528676/

The protesters, who appeared to total between 3,000 and 5,000, first set a deadline for officials to come talk to them about restoring the signal of the People Channel. They then pulled aside barbed wire and climbed over a fence to advance on about 500 soldiers inside the compound, between them and the main building, and began throwing rocks and a few firebombs.

From atop trucks, the soldiers fired water cannons and tossed canisters of mild tear gas, some of which blew back toward them — and for which they wore no masks.

Jinglethingy and JDasia and others will say this is red propaganda! :)

I'd actually say it was just an opinion.

The red shirts had been threatening to push through and break into the compound. They just didn't do it until after the tear gas had been fired.

They were breaking the law just being there. They were confronting the army just being there. Reasonably legitimate reasons for firing tear gas to make them disperse.

Unfortunately, the army didn't back it up and actually stop them from getting through.

I have watched the video. There was no evidence of molatov cocktails being thrown as another post in this thread suggested. A tear gas cannister was thrown back to whence it came. What the video clearly showed was how poorly trained the Royal Thai Army is in crowd control procedures. Based on the evidence of what the video showed, the army prefers to back off rather than have a confrontation because they would not be able to control the situation without bloodshed, which is the last thing the army wants.

Although not mentioned any where that I have seen, the army's check points must have been innefective at stopping the 12,000 or so protesters getting to the ground station. That does not say much for them them preventing more protesters getting into Bangkok.

Khun Abhisit is looking very weak. Coalition party members have called for force to be used, which clearly the army disagrees with. I can see the army stepping in this weekend and removing the government to avoid bloodshed. If they do, let us hope that they put in place a timetable for elections to be held. That way every one can go home for SonKhran.

Red-shirts steal weapons at ThaiCom compound

The red-shirts ended up with some of the military's guns, ammunition, riot gear and tear gas canisters, some of it perhaps seized from unattended trucks, some of it surrendered by soldiers sympathetic to the demonstrators.

-- CNN 2010-04-10

--

Maestro

Molotov coctails?

You may recall that they threw Molotov-cocktails at the Army-HQ, this time last year, perhaps they've forgotten how to make/use them, but I doubt it. :) In any case, Arisaman can probably remind them, yet again. And then deny any personal responsibility, of course. :D

And I will add one more reason for the Neutrality of Army:

Recent history of Thailand is a regroupement of dozens of small entities. The current political division corresponds also roughly to a territorial division. (North against Bangkok + South)

Army must be the Guarantee and the Reference for stability of the Country within its boundaries for ALL THAIS above the current political territorial partition.

Jerry it all sounds good, but not in this context.

Simple answer the Reds already fell the army is the BIGGER enemy than the government...

there is no national unity on the issue.

Jinglethingy and JDasia and others will say this is red propaganda! :)

I'd actually say it was just an opinion.

The red shirts had been threatening to push through and break into the compound. They just didn't do it until after the tear gas had been fired.

They were breaking the law just being there. They were confronting the army just being there. Reasonably legitimate reasons for firing tear gas to make them disperse.

Unfortunately, the army didn't back it up and actually stop them from getting through.

I have watched the video. There was no evidence of molatov cocktails being thrown as another post in this thread suggested. A tear gas cannister was thrown back to whence it came. What the video clearly showed was how poorly trained the Royal Thai Army is in crowd control procedures. Based on the evidence of what the video showed, the army prefers to back off rather than have a confrontation because they would not be able to control the situation without bloodshed, which is the last thing the army wants.

Although not mentioned any where that I have seen, the army's check points must have been innefective at stopping the 12,000 or so protesters getting to the ground station. That does not say much for them them preventing more protesters getting into Bangkok.

Khun Abhisit is looking very weak. Coalition party members have called for force to be used, which clearly the army disagrees with. I can see the army stepping in this weekend and removing the government to avoid bloodshed. If they do, let us hope that they put in place a timetable for elections to be held. That way every one can go home for SonKhran.

You are out of date.

Yesterday this was the red hope.

But today you are peddling old news.

As a Thaksin apologist please keep up.

As an aside your comment about the army not wanting bloodshed goes flat against the red platform propaganda.

Another cross, though this time from your allies probably.

At time of SOE, ThaiVisa is at risk of being shut down for publishing any writing og Giles Ji Ungpakorn. Becareful.

It's a link, so not actually being published in TVF.

Also the link is blocked by MICT, so not even possibly linked.

If your argument was correct the you have hosted/ published it to.

Not so, only a link to another site.

Besides that not everything Giles says is LG or actionable,

regardless if it is reality based, or just poly sci ramblings from the far, far left.

Edited by animatic

THE NATION: Khaosod reports Reds have seized two buses.

They have form seizing buses.

The reds did it last Songkran.

However since Thaksin the liar says now that it wasn't real reds seizing buses and setting light to them last Songkran,

we look forward to the Thaksin apologists trying to work out whether to defend the action today or accuse yellow fake reds of doing it.

Yesterday the cheerleaders thought they were on a roll.

Today they are not so sure.