Residence Cert - Buy Car, Get D/l In Korat

In trying to find out exactly what proof of residence I need to register a new car in my name and get a Thai D/L we have been experiencing the TIT Uncertainty Principle to the max. A different story each from Toyota, from the vehicle bureau, from the police, from the city hall, from the muang district office, etc.

Can anyone who has recently registered a new car in their own name in Korat tell me exactly what proof of residence they used?

Can anyone who has recently obtained a Thai driver's license in Korat tell me exactly what proof of residence they used?

Edited by mgnewman

Mike: You might try PM or Email to "Dutch". Apparently he has done this in Korat....see his previous post concerning this HERE.

Also I'm asking Tom if he still has his copy and if he can scan it, I'll forward it to you. :o

mgnewman,

I just returned for the Immagration Office in Mukdahan, where I was given a "Statement of Residency" specifically intended for obtaining a Thai DL, purchasing and registering or selling a vehicle, and there were about 3 other reasons listed on the application form... It cost me about 400 baht plus copies of of most of my relative passport pages.. I did produce a signed Rental Agreement and the House papers from my Landlord as proof of address, but was told that a Thai wife or girlfriend can give her ID and that will be enough...

I will be going in for my Thai DL here in Kalasin next week, then transfering both the Truck and Motorcycles into my name...

Pianoman

Thanks so much for the information Pianoman. I'll be in Bangkok Monday, so maybe I'll just go into Immigration there and get the same thing. Sounds a lot cheaper than the notarized residency document issued by the US Embassy (US$30).

• 2 weeks later...
.  I did produce a signed Rental Agreement and the House papers from my Landlord as proof of address, but was told that a Thai wife or girlfriend can give her ID and that will be enough...

Now that bit is handy to know, do you have to have the year extension to be able to get this or is the O Visa enough....?

totster :o

I got the written (Thai) statement from my Amphur (kham Thale So) just outside Nakhorn Ratchasima.

By doing that the official told me that he would start the process of getting me a yellow Tabien Baan.

I think he just not wanted to see me every time I needed such a statement :o

In the meantime I've got my yellow book

I managed to get a "Statement of Residence" from the Immigration section of the Korat police. Since they already had a record of my address (as reported to them), all I needed was a photocopy of the relevant pages of my passport. The woman who issued the statement was sure that it was OK for a driver's license, but she was unsure about car registration. In any event, she issued me two originals, all without any charge.

We took the document to the Transport Ministry office in Korat (near Lotus) and they said the document would be fine for both car registration and driver's license.

So far, we have used one to register my new car. We plan to get the driver's license "real soon now".