Should I Come To Thailand (bangkok) Right Now?

Dancali

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it ok around the MBK centre area?

I would say that MBK is just at the border of the Ratchaprasong hotspot. You are not in the middle of the rally zone there but very close. Just keep your eyes open, use common sense and once you hear any kind of explosions go back to your hotelroom and stay there for a while until the situation has calmed down. Maybe from the area near MBK you could see troops or police advancing - that would be another reason to get back and stay in your room.

I am pretty confident that by latest the end of this week some sort of solution to the crisis might be found and the siege of the Ratchaprasong area will come to an end. I don't involve myself in politics so I don't write about my personal opinion on how such a solution might look like.

Edited by TallForeigner

One needs to approach this question from an arm length's perspective and not allow a personal like or dislike for Thailand bias the decision.

I cannot speak for other regions, but it is quiet on Phuket. The beach chairs are showing 25% occupancy. That might reflect the world's economy, but I think it is more a function of the scorching heat. My AC conked out friday. :)

I believe that Bangkok is a place to be avoided and that it will probably get worse before it gets better.

The airport Saturday and Sunday seemed secure and calm to me. Outside of the protest zones, tourists are safe, for now.

Based on the ongoing turmoil, only a fool would travel to Bangkok in the next week at minimum. Stay away. If you go and there is a problem, you are responsible. Do not look for help from your government as it most likely has a very stern warning now posted to avoid travel.

One needs to approach this question from an arm length's perspective and not allow a personal like or dislike for Thailand bias the decision.

I cannot speak for other regions, but it is quiet on Phuket. The beach chairs are showing 25% occupancy. That might reflect the world's economy, but I think it is more a function of the scorching heat. My AC conked out friday. :)

I believe that Bangkok is a place to be avoided and that it will probably get worse before it gets better.

The airport Saturday and Sunday seemed secure and calm to me. Outside of the protest zones, tourists are safe, for now.

Based on the ongoing turmoil, only a fool would travel to Bangkok in the next week at minimum. Stay away. If you go and there is a problem, you are responsible. Do not look for help from your government as it most likely has a very stern warning now posted to avoid travel.

This is one of the strongest posts against the idea. Would you say that I'd be a fool to continue with my plan of arriving in Bangkok, staying overnight in my hotel in On Nut, then going from there?

I'd probably spend a day or two around On Nut, meet up with my Thai associate in Bangkok, then get a flight to Phuket for a while.

I strongly believe there is no reason to scare tourists not to come to Thailand.

It is not because there are some heavy clashes in some areas of Bangkok, that the whole country is on fire...

If you want to travel to Thailand, do it, don't be scared of some isolated areas which surely are dangerous to visit now, better avoid these regions then the whole country.

I'm staying in the south and I have to say it is still the same way of living as every other day here.

This is one of the strongest posts against the idea. Would you say that I'd be a fool to continue with my plan of arriving in Bangkok, staying overnight in my hotel in On Nut, then going from there?

I'd probably spend a day or two around On Nut, meet up with my Thai associate in Bangkok, then get a flight to Phuket for a while.

I would agree that going on to Phuket is a good idea. If you have to stay in Bangkok, On Nut is far enough into the east end, away from most of the conflict. (it's in the west end, near my neighbourhood! :D )

A day or so shouldn't be so bad, but do all of your business out in On Nut. Stay away from the core areas and you will be fine. If you don't have to meet your contact in Bangkok, use that $50 ticket-change fee to jump on a cheap flight down to Phuket, and tell your contact to meet you there. Honestly, even I'm thinking of getting out of town for a bit. Songkran will be really depressing in Bangkok this year.

come on over.

for the tourist, its all about nothing. of course use common sense and dont go near the "party zone:"

I AM MUCH MORE AFRAID OF GETTING WET!

Te only place you getting wet this year is under the shower :)

Not where I live. I got doused at 7:30 this morning already. I am sure in KK they will not forego the water madness. It is just starting now.

YES COME Id say the covergae the BBC are giving is total crap, heavily biased for the reds and the claims its all "widespread" total nonsense. Very small locations 99.9% of Thailand unaffected.

I am just about to book a flight for early May, my only concern is that they don't try to take over the airport!

If your that worried worry more about the road safety aspect of being in Thailand!!

Dear OP,

I would cancell my holiday and go back another time.

Traveling / goin around with restriction in Bangkok, not happy mood as you can understand , reason enough to just wait a few months till it is all settle.

Why take any risk or less enjoyable holiday if it costs you only 50 us to change your ticket.

Cheers

Agreed - Why risk it. Thailand will be here waiting on you.

yeah dont worry about it as long as you stay in the tourist areas then you will be fine i was in bankok a week ago on kho san road, no problems! the red shirts are for the people against the government for the people and the government has realised violence doesnt work. if your worried get a taxi somewhere

yeah dont worry about it as long as you stay in the tourist areas then you will be fine i was in bankok a week ago on kho san road, no problems! the red shirts are for the people against the government for the people and the government has realised violence doesnt work. if your worried get a taxi somewhere

You have no idea where you talking about.

what wrong with getting in a taxi if one is worried? :):D:D

Bangkok is fine for transit. Just don't hang around. Anything can happen. Phuket is operating in a different world, oblivious to the events in Bangkok. As I initially stated, one must not allow personal bias to get in the way, and some of those saying to go are most likely not in Bangkok nor even in Thailand. I also stated the airport is secure. Probably the safest I have seen it in years. Several of the entry ways are closed already. Checkpoints are all around the access points. Double guards at doorways on all levels, both outside and inside. When there is civil unrest, things can go from bad to worse very quickly. If possible, keep your bags at the airport at the luggage depository if you are only going in for a day or so. Makes it easier to bug out if you are traveling light. I base my statements on past experience in similar circumstances.

Should I rather sit like a grumpy farang in my apartment and keep complaining about the noise and the mob,

Isn't this traditional behavior for farangs during the Song Kran festival all over Thailand? It certainly is in Chiang Mai. :)

Ye, why not? We in our late 30's, do not find it very hilarious to be driving a bike and having 2-5 kg of yellow or

brown or purple water hurled in our face at 70 km/h, destabilizing the bike, irritating the eyes, and making it dam_n

dangerous!

Whoever thought of this stupid idea of hurling buckets of water at people going about their business?

No problem doing it on the grounds of the local amphur, temples, stadiums, small streets and villages. Those

who want to join in, can. But not on major highways and high speed roads, its just dam_n dangerous! Dont

do it to those who are not interested.

what wrong with getting in a taxi if one is worried? :):D:D

post-95869-1271109751.gif

I am thinking about changing my holiday plans from Bangkok to Pattaya. Do you guys think Pattaya is far enough away to be affected by the political unrest?

Thanks

What you think by yourself 200 km from Bangkok :) .

Or maybe your right if the reds are going mental and the start doing some nuclear weapon testing neer the airport, Pattaya isn't far enough.

If you don't want to take anny risk, STAY HOME.

Well, it will be your decision. Just watch the France 24 news footage.

My advise,stay home where you come from,and never visit Thailand,Tourists with their curiousity only get killed by stray bullets/scrapnells.

besides,Reds dont like Foreigners/Falangs especially.

It's still a good time to visit Thailand you might even get better deals with the number of cancellations. However I would recommend traveling outside Bangkok at the moment. All Songkran festivities are canceled and the skytrain is hit or miss when it comes to stations that are open. Khao San road is in the middle of the danger area. Go ahead, come to Thailand, but you'll enjoy your vacation more outside the Capitol.

Is Khao San road a ghost town or is there still some activity ?

My advise,stay home where you come from,and never visit Thailand,Tourists with their curiousity only get killed by stray bullets/scrapnells.

Oh f's sake - am sorry - but that was a load of BS.

Your living place is in Pattaya - ruddy 200 km from the "raving zone" - and how could you give a comment like that? Like you are living next to the protesting area.

Unless you have been encountering what you have said in your reply or you are now living right next to the spots, I think you are just being too pessimistic or dramatic mate.

Am living in Sathorn area - not too far from the Rajprasong - but, seriously mate, the only thing right now that is pssing me off big time, is that the stupid kids already started the water war!!!

Ugh!

:)

Oh f's sake - am sorry - but that was a load of BS.

Your living place is in Pattaya - ruddy 200 km from the "raving zone" - and how could you give a comment like that? Like you are living next to the protesting area.

Unless you have been encountering what you have said in your reply or you are now living right next to the spots, I think you are just being too pessimistic or dramatic mate.

Am living in Sathorn area - not too far from the Rajprasong - but, seriously mate, the only thing right now that is pssing me off big time, is that the stupid kids already started the water war!!!

Ugh!

:)

Children playing with water pssing you off big time, hopefully you never going to get children.

That would be a long time pssing big time for you :D