U.s. Embassy 'outreach' Consular Services

Tomissan

After checking to see if the Embassy has any plans to visit Khon Kaen or Udon in May, I was told, "No plans" although I was also told that if enough people requested by email ([email protected]) then they would make the visit.

I need to get the usual services from them before 20 May 2010 and I really don't want to travel to Bangkok, so, if there are enough readers who need the same (preferably Khon Kaen), please send an email to them asking them to provide consular services.....thanks....

Indeed, it's true...I just got off the phone with the embassy and they WILL make a trip to Udon or Khon Kaen if they get enough requests by email.

I need their services also and don't want to go anywhere near Bangkok at this time and also would enjoy saving the money.....

I just sent them my request by email.....hope they get enough requests.....c'mon guys.....we can all party with the money we save... :)

I am all for Consular Outreach to KK but my extension renewal is in December -- last year I went to UdonT. in late OCT and apparently they have been doing that one for years as there are many US Military Veterans in that area... the hotel that morning looked like a VFW convention.

I am all for Consular Outreach to KK but my extension renewal is in December -- last year I went to UdonT. in late OCT and apparently they have been doing that one for years as there are many US Military Veterans in that area... the hotel that morning looked like a VFW convention.

That would be correct. Between the Korat and Udon VFW Posts there are 400 members and about half of us live in Thailand. HOORAH!

This is ACS's reply to my e-mail:

Dear Mr. maxjay,

We have not yet scheduled any outreach visits to Khon Kaen. When an outreach is scheduled, we will send an announcement to those in the area who are registered with the Embassy and have provided us with an e-mail address. If you have not already done so, we recommend that you register on-line at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui.

Outreaches will also be announced on the Embassy website http://bangkok.usembassy.gov.

Regards –

American Citizen Services

It was sent to me 13 hours after I e-mailed them, so they are aware of our needs.

Keep sending those e-mails in.

My guess would be that the last few times they set-up a Consular visit at the KK Sofitel/Pullman not enough revenue customers showed up to warrant the cost (airfare, hotel rooms, meeting space, etc.) -- in UdonT OCT visit no such problem.

My guess would be that the last few times they set-up a Consular visit at the KK Sofitel/Pullman not enough revenue customers showed up to warrant the cost (airfare, hotel rooms, meeting space, etc.) -- in UdonT OCT visit no such problem.

Jazzbo:

Since when has the US Government worried about costs?

The current administration is projecting a 1.8 Trillion dollar deficit for 2010. I doubt a couple of nights in a hotel, transportation and a tray of canapes will hardly cause any additional problems for our taxpayers.

Tomissan

I'd not bet on them being able to make a KK run by 20 May, just too short a time frame, hope I'm wrong, tho. Suggest you make other arrangements for whatever you need.

Hmmm, wonder if some of the same Consular services might be obtained in Vientiane? A tad handier in some ways and more fun.

Mac

Hmmm, wonder if some of the same Consular services might be obtained in Vientiane? A tad handier in some ways and more fun.

Good idea Mac.

Here is their website: http://laos.usembassy.gov/information_for_travelers.html

Reads like they perform all the same services:

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the Consular Section assists American citizens in Laos. The unit provides a variety of services including: passport and citizenship services, registration of births, assistance with Federal benefits, notarial services, voting and tax information
Edited by maxjay

I've been informed that Thai Immigration will not accept a income verification letter from Laos.

Well, I guess that's that for that plan.

Sure hope enough Americans e-mail the embassy: [email protected] and request a consular visit to either Udon or Khon Kaen...sometime between now and mid-June.

Remember, a income verification letter dated anytime in 2010, is valid for your visa renewal, whatever date you need to renew in 2010. So, even if you don't need to renew until later on this year...if the letter is dated 2010...it will be valid.

I need to renew by June 24.

Help us out here...my fellow Americans. Send those e-mails out. I don't want to spend the money to go to Bangkok.

The most frustrating thing about this is, last year (2009), I got a new income verification letter. When I renewed my visa extension in June... The immigration officer in Nong Khai stated to both me and my wife that the income verification letter would be valid for two more renewals.

Now it seems that the new Udon office is requiring a new income verification letter :) .

Edited by maxjay

I've been informed that Thai Immigration will not accept a income verification letter from Laos.

Well, I guess that's that for that plan.

Sure hope enough Americans e-mail the embassy: [email protected] and request a consular visit to either Udon or Khon Kaen...sometime between now and mid-June.

Remember, a income verification letter dated anytime in 2010, is valid for your visa renewal, whatever date you need to renew in 2010. So, even if you don't need to renew until later on this year...if the letter is dated 2010...it will be valid.

I need to renew by June 24.

Help us out here...my fellow Americans. Send those e-mails out. I don't want to spend the money to go to Bangkok.

The most frustrating thing about this is, last year (2009), I got a new income verification letter. When I renewed my visa extension in June... The immigration officer in Nong Khai stated to both me and my wife that the income verification letter would be valid for two more renewals.

Now it seems that the new Udon office is requiring a new income verification letter :) .

Max, What is your source as to "informed" on the use of a Laos issued US Embassy letter as proof of income ?

I seem to find multiple opinions, and statements about Thai "Immigration" Not the same I find at different offices ? And you ?

It seems that each little fiedom calls it's own tune.

Max, What is your source as to "informed" on the use of a Laos issued US Embassy letter as proof of income ?

I started a thread on the subject of ACS visits on udonmap.com, in the "Notice Board" section of the forum, one of the responders wrote:

I asked the same question, re: an income letter from the Oz Embassy in Vientiane.

The answer from Thai Immigration was an unequivocal No!

I don't which immigration office he asked at, but I have a feeling it was at Nong Khai. I hope he is wrong, however, until I receive a definitive yes answer on the acceptance of a letter issued at the American Embassy Laos for Thai Immigration purposes, it will be off to Bangkok next month.

And yes, every office seems to interpret the immigration laws differently...except for the fees.

ACS visited Udon in Feb. 2010.

Ah yes. The "mysterious" February visit. What did they give? A weeks notice? I was out of town. I didn't know they had visited until after I returned to Udon.

Why did they visit so soon after the October 28, 2009 visit?

I expected them to return to Udon or KK in May, about six months, as they have done in previous years:

April 2008: KK

October 2008: Udon

May 1 2009: KK

October 28 2009: Udon

Ah yes. The "mysterious" February visit. What did they give? A weeks notice? I was out of town. I didn't know they had visited until after I returned to Udon.

I expected them to return to Udon or KK in May, about six months, as they have done in previous years:

If I remember correcvtly, they only gave a day or two notice for the last outreach to Udon Thani.

Maybe if enough of us agreed to sign an afidavit to make an honest attempt to pass the hat around to help cover their expenses, would that help ..?

Thaiairways....KKN-BKK-KKN = 6,300 Baht - ?

If I remember correcvtly, they only gave a day or two notice for the last outreach to Udon Thani.

Maybe if enough of us agreed to sign an afidavit to make an honest attempt to pass the hat around to help cover their expenses, would that help ..?

Thaiairways....KKN-BKK-KKN = 6,300 Baht - ?

I expect the notarial fees we pay when they come up would be sufficient to pay for their trip.

The American Embassy outreach program gives you notice by E mail as long as you are registered with the Embassy. I normally go to Pattaya when they do an outreach to get my income letters. They are normally in Pattaya three times a year. Normally towards the end of Oct, March, and July. They are normally in Udon, or KHon Kaen the months previous to the Pattaya Visits. So that would put them in Udon, or Khon Kaen in June.

Barry

The American Embassy outreach program gives you notice by E mail as long as you are registered with the Embassy

They usually give more than a few days notice. Usually, two-three weeks advance notice.

They are normally in Udon, or KHon Kaen the months previous to the Pattaya Visits. So that would put them in Udon, or Khon Kaen in June.

Well if you look at my last post...it gives their previous schedule from 2008 to present:

Ah yes. The "mysterious" February visit. What did they give? A weeks notice? I was out of town . I didn't know they had visited until after I returned to Udon.

Hey, I've got an idea. Perhaps, now that our Embassy has closed temporarily...and all our Consulate Officers in Bangkok have short break, with nothing to do...send 'em up to Issan for a day and service their citizens.

Edited by maxjay

Hey, I've got an idea. Perhaps, now that our Embassy has closed temporarily...and all our Consulate Officers in Bangkok have short break, with nothing to do...send 'em up to Issan for a day and service their citizens.

I have sent an e-mail to our acs representative suggesting the exact same thing. At least it gets a few of our valued employees out of harm's way for a while.

Edit in: This is the message I sent them:

Dear Mr./Miss/Ms ACS:

With the current unrest in Bangkok, wouldn't it be an ideal time to dispatch a team to Isaan to handle American citizen's questions and procedures?

I was in both Udon Thani and Khon Kaen yesterday and there was nary a sign of a red shirt.

Respectfully requested,

Edited by chuckd

• 5 weeks later...
Dear Udon, and Khon Kaen Area American Citizens,

The Consular Section of the American Embassy in Bangkok is pleased to

inform you of a consular outreach visit to Udon, and

Khon Kaen in June 2010. Please come if you can!

UDON:

Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Centara Hotel &

Convention Centre Udon Thani, at 277/1 Prajaksillapakhom Road, Muang,

Udon Thani, 41000, Thailand

KHON KAEN:

Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Pullman Khon Kaen

Raja Orchid, at 9/9 Prachasumran Road, Nai Muang, Muang, Khon Kaen,

Thailand, 40000

A bump-up reminder for tomorrow in Udon and Wednesday in Khon Kaen.

And remember:

When they visit Udon and/or KK in the future I encourage all to attend and sign in. The more that attend the more justification they have to make these trips.

Even if you don't require their services this visit...show up, sign in, and thank the consular officers.

The more people that do this, the more the Embassy can justify future visits to Issan.

Edited by maxjay