Re-entry Permit

I am a 46 year old Austrian citizen and will work in the coming months for an NGO in Mae Sot (Tak province), close to the Burmese border.

From the Thai embassy in Vienna, I received the following visa:

Non-immigrant

category "O"

single entry

enter before: 13 Jul 2010

1) Is this a 90 days or 1-year visa? (I guess it's 90 days but there is no information on the visa itself)

2) As I plan to visit neighboring countries, where may I get a multiple re-entry permit? In Mae Sot, Tak or at BKK airport? (I have no plans to drive to downtown BKK)

Thank you for your help,

Otto

Single entry means one, 90 day entry if you enter before July 13. For the multiple entry, re-entry permit, the nearest immigration office. The permit will only keep the existing permission to stay valid, it will not extend your stay beyond the 90 day period.

Single entry Non-O visa will give you 90 day permission to stay as long as you enter before the 'use before' date. Re-entry permit fee - 1,000 baht single entry, 3,800 baht multiple entry. As said, obtain from local immigration office before you depart. You cannot obtain at the airport.

:D

The visa is fine. Yes it will get you 90 days as long as you enter before that "enter before" date.

But did you say you will be working for an NGO. Be very careful, and be sure you don't need a work permit or the NGO intends to get you that work permit once you are here. I'm not an expert, and I could be wrong, but I think that even working for a NGO you will still need a work permit to work in Thailand. If you can I would be very sure to ask about that before you come. Othewise you could be in deep trouble.

If I am wrong I'm sure someone will be correcting me soon.

:)