Riding A Moped In Thailand On A Tourist Visa?

kunash

I am under the impression that someone who is in Thailand on a tourist visa cannot legally ride a moped / motorbike there, is this correct?

If I am caught by the police riding a motorbike in thailand, and no license, what are the fines??  can they take the bike??

( i have been taking my TGF to work on her moped, but if i will get in serious trouble due to not having a license i will stop riding her bike. i will wait until i become a resident )

You should have an international drivers permit or a local license. However.. much your likely that you will be able to "negotiate" with the boys in brown, should they stop you and demand to see your papers. I've never been without a license, here or abroad so can't comment from experience but I recall "An aquiantence" borrowing a bike his first month here and riding past a copper at night, drunk, with a bottle of whiskey in the helmet in the basket at the front of the bike. He said, "Sawasdeekrup" and they returned the same and that was all. Maybe this is normal, maybe he was lucky.

I wouldn't dream of doing that but things have tightened up in the last few years...

What could happen if you hit someone while riding with no license?

Same as in your own country..... or you wouldn't know about that too??

How come??? Oooohhh, you never tried it there......

But hey TIT so we can break the law here, why not??

Edited by jumbo

Nothing will happen you will pay the normal 200 baht and that will be it

With regards to license and hitting someone mine was expired I was drunk as a skunk and hit 2 cars I was fined 1000 baht for being drunk nothing for having an expired license and of course paid for the damage to one car.

Of course this could go the complete other way and you are locked up for life

Did I mention I was a <deleted> for driving drunk on a powerful motorbike

Might be lenient penaltys by the BIB but you pay in other ways like 400,000 hospital bill busted up pretty bad and worst of all me bike was damaged.

Now before I get all the dikheads posting serve you right and other flippant comments let me help out

Yes I am a Dickehad

Yes you should not drink and drive

Yes I should of been put in jail

Yes serves me right

Yes I wont do it again

Yes Thank god I did not hurt anyone but myself

Yes I mentioned I was a <deleted>

the bike is insured. Not the rider.

And as for things being the same as in UK. That is sadly utter <deleted>!!!

You break the law, you PAY.

Murderers walk the streets after "NEGOTIATING" with the authorities and victims.

THIS IS FACT NOT FICTION> learn at least a little about thailand before making deffinative statements, please. Some less informed people might be misled by your views.

No one breaks the law here! The law....wear a crash helmet.....mmm! :)

kunash

re.... is that the square piece of paper that is displayed on the bike?

no ... thats the road tax

re ....... you say the bike is insured ..... ?

this is thai government bike insurance for my honda dream

dave2

It is 400 Baht not 200 Baht for an invalid/no license - bike tax and insurance will be mostly down to the registered owner. But, you can be really screwed if they want to try it on - I ended up paying over 15K for being caught on my bike - which a Thai would have got away with no more than 1000 Baht fine - no tax/insurance/license...trials bike.

The license is not a big deal - it's just a piece of paper - if the bike is legal, I wouldn't worry too much - show them your UK licence - they will probably accept it - I showed mine going for the Thai Car licence and they believe you if you tell them that the "Provisional" category means "FULL" so as far as the transport authority in Chiang Mai believe - I am entitled to a car, motorbike heavy goods , tractor, trailer, candlestick maker! They haven't a clue!

I should qualify my statement.

One insures the bike, not the rider.

If you have the red square you MUST have the minimum required insurance as it must be purchased together. If you have 1st 2nd or 3rd class cover, then you might reduce your out of pocket expenses should you have a ding.

the bike is insured. Not the rider.

And as for things being the same as in UK. That is sadly utter <deleted>!!!

You break the law, you PAY.

Murderers walk the streets after "NEGOTIATING" with the authorities and victims.

THIS IS FACT NOT FICTION> learn at least a little about thailand before making deffinative statements, please. Some less informed people might be misled by your views.

Ahhh, How does a murderer negotiate with his victim? :) I can understand the authorities. :D

No one breaks the law here! The law....wear a crash helmet.....mmm! :)

Free weeks holiday in the "Quang" should be compu... :D