Chiang Mai Farang Tourist Police

Loaded

I heard from the Lt. Col. in charge of the Chiang Mai Tourist Police that all the farang volunteer police officers had been sacked for misusing their uniforms, id cards and authority. I may have misunderstood some of what he said but I think I got the main points. However, he's looking for new volunteers but just doesn't want garbage again.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well certainly a good reason for a reprimand but sacking the lot? Anyway, my impression is that they weren't well regarded by the regulars probably for much the same reasons that the part time civilian police support staff in the UK have a tough time - possibly not very fair but they're seen as not paying their dues by going through the full training I guess.

I've never had cause to use their services but I'm sure that many have helped tourists in lots of situations.

Edited by Greenside

I have only been here since the end of last year and had never seen a police volunteer in uniform or otherwise until the day before yesterday. I was driving along the moat when I noticed a falang in a blue uniform walking up the street by himself, I did not stop or talk to the man but it stuck me a bit strange that he was on his own and not with a partner or a Thai officer. My next thought was that without any supervision these guys could create some liability issues for the tourist police. By what has happened, I guess I was right on the count.

Have they always let these guys out on their own or was that just a rare time?

BB

I have only been here since the end of last year and had never seen a police volunteer in uniform or otherwise until the day before yesterday. I was driving along the moat when I noticed a falang in a blue uniform walking up the street by himself, I did not stop or talk to the man but it stuck me a bit strange that he was on his own and not with a partner or a Thai officer. My next thought was that without any supervision these guys could create some liability issues for the tourist police. By what has happened, I guess I was right on the count.

BB

They were seldom supervised mostly on their own.

The word I know is that many good ones resigned en-mass. They were not sacked mate check your fac.ts

yes officer :D

Thats a good boy ( girl) :)

were you the guy misusing his Thai Police ID?

or

the guy with a big volunteer police sticker on the side of his white Toyota Fortuner who parked wherever he wanted to?

or

were you one of the hooligans brawling in uniform?

Edited by Loaded

Like, the real Thai police never misused their ID (to extract tea money)

'like'

I didn't know the farang VP were also extracting tea money but thanks for the update.

Edited by Loaded

The word I know is that many good ones resigned en-mass. They were not sacked mate check your fac.ts

or

the guy with a big volunteer police sticker on the side of his white Toyota Fortuner who parked wherever he wanted to?

or

No, no and no because I am not a volunteer. :D

Maybe I only met the good ones, but I never had any problem with the tourist police and they were always polite to me. Maybe it's the people's attitude towards authority. It's more than I can say for a lot of RCMP in Canada.

or

or

hmmm. Someones a little jealous of others helping out and being part of the community I reckon. Oh well no shortage of anti-social, anti authority, farang misfits in LOS so plenty of company to sit around and gripe instead of getting out and doing something. As a previous poster said probably best to get your facts straight before you post.

Hope to see the volunteers out and about again very soon doing their stuff. Good job. well done.

...As a previous poster said probably best to get your facts straight before you post...

My information is from the Thai police officer responsible for the volunteers.

Could one of the 'ex' volunteers posting on this thread give their side?

Edited by Loaded

BB

..they do have to walk from A to B...cause they have to provide everything including shoes..

The only Tourist Police Volunteers I have met/know, have been perfectly decent people trying to do their bit for the community.

In UK they get called 'Hobby Bobbies' which is a bit unfair as they do fullfill a useful function in helping tourists - not that we have any at the moment!

It does occur to me that they couldn't exist in almost any other country in the world: can you imagine foreign coppers on the streets of London - Americans, Russians, Dutchmen, heaven forfend, even Frenchmen telling us what to do!!

It does occur to me that they couldn't exist in almost any other country in the world: can you imagine foreign coppers on the streets of London - Americans, Russians, Dutchmen, heaven forfend, even Frenchmen telling us what to do!!

They don't tell Thais what to do, do they. One parallel is the Chinese who ran with the Olympic flame in several cities around the world and beat the shit out of anyone that came too close.