Chiang Mai Farang Tourist Police

Loaded

I had a casual friend with one TPV, years ago. Never seen a TPV in uniform. Don't have a dog in this fight exactly. Calling posters 'full of <deleted>' is insulting.

In this thread posters have referred to other people's posts with:

"full of <deleted>"

"idiots"

"absolute BS"

There's one thing they all have in common (drum roll)

They are all Tourist Police Volunteers (albeit one who was sacked)

Is this really the way to communicate with people?

Let's look at your opening lines, you are in a conversation with 2 Thai guys and do not understand passa Thai. One of them translates to you what is being said. You then run home and put up your message calling people that you do not know " garbage" based on third hand hearsay. you do not check the facts, I did , nobody was "sacked" at TPDV. A number of them resigned. That is why they are in a panic to recruit new suckers. Remember Thais will say anything to "save face". Your post reflects your character. You are the type of expat I never hope to meet ! :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having seen foreign Tourist Police Volunteers wandering around now in 3 cities in Thailand I can honestly say that IMHO the program should be completely eliminated. It seems to attract volunteers that just should not be in uniform (anywhere -- again imho) in Thailand. Two that I have personally spoken to could not speak Thai at even a marginally conversational level and both seemed to be "all about the image".

I willingly grant that I have not spoken to a great many TPV's and that it may not be a representative sample. There have been plenty of reports about the behavior of others that I have never met that seem to back up my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't be willing to accept ANY help from a TPV given the biases I have seen them openly hold.

TPV are not required to speak Thai and why would they since they are supposed to be focusing on Tourists, TPV are from many countries and many of them speak 3-5 languages and some speak Thai like a native so while not everyone speak Thai there are a few but its not needed anyway as we really dont deal with thais with the exception of those at the station.

Excellent post by the way CMdream

Edited by FarangCravings

I had a casual friend with one TPV, years ago. Never seen a TPV in uniform. Don't have a dog in this fight exactly. Calling posters 'full of <deleted>' is insulting.

"full of <deleted>"

"idiots"

"absolute BS"

Let's look at your opening lines, you are in a conversation with 2 Thai guys and do not understand passa Thai. One of them translates to you what is being said. You then run home and put up your message calling people that you do not know " garbage" based on third hand hearsay. you do not check the facts, I did , nobody was "sacked" at TPDV. A number of them resigned. That is why they are in a panic to recruit new suckers. Remember Thais will say anything to "save face". Your post reflects your character. You are the type of expat I never hope to meet ! :)

This is what I said:

"I heard from the Lt. Col. in charge of the Chiang Mai Tourist Police that all the farang volunteer police officers had been sacked for misusing their uniforms, id cards and authority. I may have misunderstood some of what he said but I think I got the main points"

Do you notice how it doesn't match your description of what I said?

You have invented the part about "in conversation with 2 Thai guys"

You have invented the part about "do not understand passa Thai"

You have invented the part about "one of them translates to you"

You have invented the part about "nobody was sacked" - FC has already admitted he was sacked

Are you representative of the Farang Volunteer Tourist Police?

Edited by Loaded

"full of <deleted>"

"idiots"

"absolute BS"

This is what I said:

"I heard from the Lt. Col. in charge of the Chiang Mai Tourist Police that all the farang volunteer police officers had been sacked for misusing their uniforms, id cards and authority. I may have misunderstood some of what he said but I think I got the main points"

You have invented the part about "nobody was sacked" - FC has already admitted he was sacked

Are you representative of the Farang Volunteer Police?

Have you noticed Loaded there has been no posts about misusing uniforms (except rumored fight) no miuse of id cards nor authority

With regards to your conversation with the Pol lt Col whom I know, it is implied by you that you do not speak thai but your friend was translating for you and you dont know if what he translated was exactly correct

Knowing the Pol Lt Col it is not in my eyes something that he would say especially in that tone or language. Not saying it did not happen I think it might of got lost in translation.

regards

Have you noticed Loaded there has been no posts about misusing uniforms (except rumored fight) no miuse of id cards nor authority

With regards to your conversation with the Pol lt Col whom I know, it is implied by you that you do not speak thai but your friend was translating for you and you dont know if what he translated was exactly correct

Knowing the Pol Lt Col it is not in my eyes something that he would say especially in that tone or language. Not saying it did not happen I think it might of got lost in translation.

regards

This becoming tedious.

This is what I said:

"I was told to my face by the Thai policeman responsible for farang volunteer policemen in Chiang Mai. He was speaking to an associate of mine (Thai) who had been asked to act as a translator and I was invited to join the conversation."

I'll simplify the language for you.

"I was told to my face by the Thai policeman responsible for farang volunteer policemen in Chiang Mai."

"He was speaking to an associate of mine (Thai) who had been asked to act as a translator and I was invited to join the conversation."

The associate had been asked to act as a translator for the volunteer police. I was invited to join their conversation.

Having seen foreign Tourist Police Volunteers wandering around now in 3 cities in Thailand I can honestly say that IMHO the program should be completely eliminated. It seems to attract volunteers that just should not be in uniform (anywhere -- again imho) in Thailand. Two that I have personally spoken to could not speak Thai at even a marginally conversational level and both seemed to be "all about the image".

I willingly grant that I have not spoken to a great many TPV's and that it may not be a representative sample. There have been plenty of reports about the behavior of others that I have never met that seem to back up my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't be willing to accept ANY help from a TPV given the biases I have seen them openly hold.

TPV are not required to speak Thai and why would they since they are supposed to be focusing on Tourists, TPV are from many countries and many of them speak 3-5 languages and some speak Thai like a native so while not everyone speak Thai there are a few but its not needed anyway as we really dont deal with thais with the exception of those at the station.

Not required to speak Thai ----

Making them useless in ANYTHING that requires interaction with the police and/or locals and the tourists they are supposed to be there to help? But hey, why would you need to be able to speak Thai in Thailand (at the station or out in the tourist areas where Tourists will be dealing with Thais and police)?

Then again they might have made you wear a pink shirt ......

BTW --- CMdrream's post wasn't excellent in that it didn't represent what had been said at all it was a strawman post.

Not required to speak Thai ----

Making them useless in ANYTHING that requires interaction with the police and/or locals and the tourists they are supposed to be there to help? But hey, why would you need to be able to speak Thai in Thailand (at the station or out in the tourist areas where Tourists will be dealing with Thais and police)?

Then again they might have made you wear a pink shirt ......

BTW --- CMdrream's post wasn't excellent in that it didn't represent what had been said at all it was a strawman post.

Its pretty obvious mr Jdinasia that you have no time for TPV and that ok you really dont understand and im not one to educate someone such as yourself

As many people realize that the police are a criminal organization, farang that wear the uniform are seen as connected to them.

This is called prejudice profiling it sounds as though you have a very big ax to grind ! :)

"According to the United Nations, the Royal Thai Police are organized criminals.

That, at least, is the inference to be drawn from looking at its Convention against Transnational Organized Crime, which was adopted in 2001 and which defines an organized crime group as involving at least three people acting in concert over a period of time "with the aim of committing one or more serious crimes or offences… in order to obtain… a financial or other material benefit."

http://www.upiasia.com/Human_Rights/2008/0...criminals/2369/

As many people realize that the police are a criminal organization, farang that wear the uniform are seen as connected to them.

This is called prejudice profiling it sounds as though you have a very big ax to grind ! :)

"According to the United Nations, the Royal Thai Police are organized criminals.

That, at least, is the inference to be drawn from looking at its Convention against Transnational Organized Crime, which was adopted in 2001 and which defines an organized crime group as involving at least three people acting in concert over a period of time "with the aim of committing one or more serious crimes or offences… in order to obtain… a financial or other material benefit."

And you were sitting with one of the big guys and fraternizing by joining conversations

SHAME ON YOU LOADED

i wonder if the Pol Lt col would look kindly on you reffering to him as an organized crime member

Edited by FarangCravings

And you were sitting with one of the big guys and fraternizing by joining conversations

SHAME ON YOU LOADED

You're doing it again. Where did I say I was sitting down?

What's all this with the capitalization? It's not a good indicator of maturity you know.

Edited by Loaded

"full of <deleted>"

"idiots"

"absolute BS"

This is what I said:

Are you representative of the Farang Volunteer Tourist Police?

You have what is called a convenient memory, to elucidate you, check your post # 33 this thread. That answers your first 3. FC has stated he was terminated a while back and has no bearing on your post. His response has been thoughtful and honest. Next ?

"O" yes, I represent no one, I just get irked by some of the crap that some members spout as truth.

You have what is called a convenient memory, to elucidate you, check your post # 33 this thread. That answers your first 3. FC has stated he was terminated a while back and has no bearing on your post. His response has been thoughtful and honest. Next ?

"O" yes, I represent no one, I just get irked by some of the crap that some members spout as truth.

This is post #33

"I was told to my face by the Thai policeman responsible for farang volunteer policemen in Chiang Mai. He was speaking to an associate of mine (Thai) who had been asked to act as a translator and I was invited to join the conversation."

Check post #96

That's 7 before this one (103 - 96)

Edited by Loaded

You're doing it again. Where did I say I was sitting down?

What's all this with the capitalization? It's not a good indicator of maturity you know.

LOL ok you was not sitting down but still associating with the Pol Lt Col and your happy to direct people to links accusing him of being part of an organized crime syndicate

im sure he was happy to meet you knowing what you think of him

Edited by FarangCravings

SHAME ON YOU LOADED

i wonder if the Pol Lt col would look kindly on you reffering to him as an organized crime member

Another strawman ---- Loaded quoted something from the internet that bolstered someone else's argument and made no other statements about what he quoted.

BTW --- I am curious. What did you mean "such as yourself?" I doubt I'll get a straight answer, but hey, ....

LOL ok you was not sitting down but still associating with the Pol Lt Col and your happy to direct people to links accusing him of being part of an organized crime syndicate

This is quite mad. I quote an article and you say I'm accusing someone of being a criminal. If I quote Muhammad Ali, does that make me the black heavy-weight boxing champion of the world?

It's shocking to think you once wore a police uniform.

Anyway this diatribe is boring me as you are silly. I'll leave you to talk to yourself for the rest of the evening.

Edited by Loaded

BTW --- I am curious. What did you mean "such as yourself?" I doubt I'll get a straight answer, but hey, ....

Well I am trying to keep this civil and nice if I elaborated on your question above it would not be civil and nice would it

so your right no straight answer but I am sure you can work it out.

This is quite mad. I quote an article and you say I'm accusing someone of being a criminal. If I quote Muhammad Ali, does that make me the black heavy-weight boxing champion of the world?

It's shocking to think you once wore a police uniform.

Anyway this diatribe is boring me as you are silly. I'll leave you to talk to yourself for the rest of the evening.

Now if you read my post carefully Loaded I did not say you accussed anyone I said you directed people to a site that accuses them

big difference

Edited by FarangCravings

Before this string is closed for acrimony and insult (free-floating anger vented on the forum), please allow me to thank contributors for making a little more clear the role of the Tourist Police in Chiang Mai. I'm trying to get a sense of ThVi contributors as well.

Seen from the point of view of Thai authorities, I gather that the purpose of the Tourist Police is to put a friendly face on the police department. Thai merchants and other business types in particular might have wished this. That such volunteers wear the uniform, rather than one importantly different, argues this notion.

Their role is to assist tourists. It occurs to me that planners might have been supposing that the educational system here in Thailand is not pumping out a lot of English speakers (not to mention other farang languages) and that an extra arm might help. (I'm assuming that even volunteers who speak ONLY English would have developed lines of communication to smooth service delivery, but agree that those who speak Thai would be better placed away from the station.)

Apparently, close supervision was not imagined. Perhaps Thais are romantic when it comes to farang, in spite of our thoughts. In any case, some bad apples have been around long enough to make posters here tempted to conclude that Thai Tourist Police are not a good idea. (I cannot but suppose that many volunteers have done a lot of good; people, even farang, vary a lot in their character and motives - and that certainly applies to ex-police officers, of which I'm not one.)

If indeed there was a wholesale dismissal (we'd all like supporting facts, I'm guessing), it is because someone wanted to go back to the drawing board. That person's thinking would be refreshing and we would not need to speculate. Curiously, I'm reading some posters who are sniping as being not far apart in their views. While most posters believe that red SHIRTS and yellow SHIRTS and others should apply sweet reason and compromise, we might demonstrate - a little?? I mean, their issues are somewhat more complicated and even important, I think.

Not only that but the OP was prone to believe the guy and repeat what he said. 55555. One born every minute. :)

Well I am trying to keep this civil and nice if I elaborated on your question above it would not be civil and nice would it

I can only assume that this is some of the bias that you have demonstrated in the past, and it is a good example of a reason that extremely thorough screening of TPV's needs to be done if they are to continue this program in ANY form in the future!

I can only assume that this is some of the bias that you have demonstrated in the past, and it is a good example of a reason that extremely thorough screening of TPV's needs to be done if they are to continue this program in ANY form in the future!

:):D:D Yeah Ok if you say so

It just clicked, NO your way off base there chappy, its actually your past posts about TPV which implicates the sort of person you are

i dont care if your Gay that up to you not my business each to there own

Edited by FarangCravings

SHAME ON YOU LOADED

Notice the last line ....... strawan ... Loaded did NOT do what you are suggesting. Loaded aadded a link and quote that was relevant to someone else's statement and did not claim it as his personal opinion. YOU did that for him.

edit --- this post rebuts post 108 (competely shown to be untrue)

Edited by jdinasia

SHAME ON YOU LOADED

Notice the last line ....... strawan ... Loaded did NOT do what you are suggesting. Loaded aadded a link and quote that was relevant to someone else's statement and did not claim it as his personal opinion. YOU did that for him.

Yes I stand corrected in the following post by me I only said he reffered people so yes i stand corrected and retract that

SHAME ON YOU LOADED

edit --- this post rebuts post 108 (competely shown to be untrue)

108 refers to post 104 and does not change anything, he posted a link reffering people to accusations of the TPV RTP being organized crime

Edited by FarangCravings

It just clicked, NO your way off base there chappy, its actually your past posts about TPV which implicates the sort of person you are

hmmm your edit got in before this reply.

The fact that you bring up the gay thing (not for the first time in this thread -- with your oblique reference to the pink shirts etc!) and your public statements in the past bring this post into question,

We could look at the history of the TPV program throughout Thailand over the years and clearly come up with enough reasons for this to be discontinued nation wide, imho.

I readily admit I have issues with the program existing at all. I can also back those reservations up with facts and not just anecdotal "I done good" stories :D

hmmm your edit got in before this reply.

The fact that you bring up the gay thing (not for the first time in this thread -- with your oblique reference to the pink shirts etc!) and your public statements in the past bring this post into question,

We could look at the history of the TPV program throughout Thailand over the years and clearly come up with enough reasons for this to be discontinued nation wide, imho.

I readily admit I have issues with the program existing at all. I can also back those reservations up with facts and not just anecdotal "I done good" stories :D

I think you have a big chip on your shoulder JD

I cant beleive you bought up the pink shirt

Anyway lets drop it as i prefer not to be dragged into another one of your games and then get suspended again

So drop it

I agree , let's just shitcan the whole idea, it is a useless program run by criminals. :)

I never saw any volunteer until a year ago approx . Never gave them much notice , but they did catch my eye when I saw them . I don't see anything wrong with any individual who is volunteering himself for everything , thats a good thing .

Although the tourist volunteers , especially in Thailand , seem to work on my laughing muscles .

I just can't help it , perhaps because we are fellow expats , and we all can see ourselves in them ......

The last I saw close went to immigration waying the imm officer , had a small chat , and walked right pass us other expats waiting or number , many of those couldn't hold their muscles under control , I would feel ashamed walking there in uniform like

look at me , I stay long time in Thailand , just to can feel to be part of something .

I know its probably rediculous for me and us to react this way , when rationalising a bit , my thoughts really are

whatever you like enjoy it , and I'm sure you can help a lot of people out , all good , but don't get angry when we see you

in the interesting police suit and make a laugh or 2 .

My guess is thats the thing , the police should make you volunteers more useful , pay a salary (expenses ) , or making it

easier for those too claim residency or whatever , if nothing I personaly can't help it to think its nothing worth it

for those higher ups to command you , at least to know you , a low profile is much better in Thailand imho .

Anyway some should agree to disagree in this thread and respect each others opinions .

I never saw any volunteer until a year ago approx . Never gave them much notice , but they did catch my eye when I saw them . I don't see anything wrong with any individual who is volunteering himself for everything , thats a good thing .

Although the tourist volunteers , especially in Thailand , seem to work on my laughing muscles .

I just can't help it , perhaps because we are fellow expats , and we all can see ourselves in them ......

The last I saw close went to immigration waying the imm officer , had a small chat , and walked right pass us other expats waiting or number , many of those couldn't hold their muscles under control , I would feel ashamed walking there in uniform like

look at me , I stay long time in Thailand , just to can feel to be part of something .

I know its probably rediculous for me and us to react this way , when rationalising a bit , my thoughts really are

whatever you like enjoy it , and I'm sure you can help a lot of people out , all good , but don't get angry when we see you

in the interesting police suit and make a laugh or 2 .

My guess is thats the thing , the police should make you volunteers more useful , pay a salary (expenses ) , or making it

easier for those too claim residency or whatever , if nothing I personaly can't help it to think its nothing worth it

for those higher ups to command you , at least to know you , a low profile is much better in Thailand imho .

Anyway some should agree to disagree in this thread and respect each others opinions .

Had many a piss take with my buddies here where I was the brunt of the joke and I am quite happy to laugh at myself Im not that serious and if the TPV start paying expenses and residency sign me back up LOL

Edited by FarangCravings

I agree , let's just shitcan the whole idea, it is a useless program run by criminals. :)

I never said it was run by criminals. I wouldn't be hurt if they "shitcanned"

the TPV program nationwide though! If this thread is still open tmw I will take the time to go and look up some of the information that has been posted about the TPV program in Thailand.