How Much Do You Spend A Month In Thailand

kunash

hi

I have tried searching these forums but cannot find anything, though i am sure the question has been asked many times before.

How much do you spend each month when living in Thailand?  can you please give me a breakdown.  I am mainly interested in expenses for living in a large town in Isaan, family of 4 ( 2 kids ).

traveling (petrol), food, electric, water, internet, eating out 

on top of this i would add rent, and buying clothes when necessary and toiletries.   what other expenses are there?  i budgeted about 40k a month, this includes

travelling 1000

food 16000

electric 2000 (air con)

water 1000

eating out 5000 ( once/twice a week)

rent 5000 a month

clothes/toiletries 5000

extras 5000

am i a long way out with this or close?

Oh, and this has never been done before - try a search, maybe...

If you click on that link you will find at least 1 or 2 threads per page which have related discussion for you.

I think you need at least 1,000,000B a day. Either that or 50B a week.

Kunash - in case you're not search or forum savvy yet as you're new, the the underlined words in Ijustwannateach's post lead to what you need and are not there for word emphasis. Click on it. Wish someone had told me that in the old days!

If you explore, you'll also notice there is an Issan forum here where you'll likely get more precise information

Edited by Damacles

travelling 1000 - Is this just for Taxi ect, if so, your looking at 500 THB a month in Issan, maybe a lot less

food 16000 - way over budget, maybe 5-8 K a month for a good shop at tesco

electric 2000 (air con) - in issan, maybe 1 K

water 1000 - looking at 200 - 300 THB a month

eating out 5000 ( once/twice a week) - in issan, where a meal is 30 THB each, cut this to 2000 THB Max

rent 5000 a month - about right

clothes/toiletries 5000 - again , cut to 2500 THB

extras 5000 - what extras? its issan !

I've posted on many of these same topic what it costs me, but I'm single so I won't post on this one because the OP specifically mentions children. All I know is a relatively nice home on the outskirts of Chiang Mai will rent for about 10,000 to 15,000 baht a month, but you would be tied into a lease of some sort. Electricity and water would be on top of that. A simple ride across town in a tuk tuk will cost about 60 baht, but the red bus (small pickup truck) is cheaper.

For me it costs no less than 80.000 baht a month and many months it goes well over 100.000 baht.

Last month i paid my BUPA insurance which was added to my monthly expenditure and cost 33000 baht.

This month i bought a flight ticket to return to England as i do once a year to see my father which was added to this month’s expenditure, cost 41.205 baht.

Next month i have the daughters schooling to pay for.

Single term: 11000 baht

uniforms: 2000 baht

School bus: 3500 baht

Shoes, books etc, etc....................

Adding the monthly what i call 'hidden costs' to my monthly expences makes for me Thailand more expensive than England.

I find it impossible to have a decent standard of living on less than 80.000 baht a month.

In my case its one person paying for three.

Is Thailand cheap?

No way!!

Edited by nam-thip

travelling 1000 - Is this just for Taxi ect, if so, your looking at 500 THB a month in Issan, maybe a lot less

food 16000 - way over budget, maybe 5-8 K a month for a good shop at tesco

electric 2000 (air con) - in issan, maybe 1 K

water 1000 - looking at 200 - 300 THB a month

eating out 5000 ( once/twice a week) - in issan, where a meal is 30 THB each, cut this to 2000 THB Max

rent 5000 a month - about right

clothes/toiletries 5000 - again , cut to 2500 THB

extras 5000 - what extras? its issan !

We live in Issan, family of three (teenage daughter, though, eats like two children), maybe some of these figures will help. We budget 11,500 baht/month for our expenses but own our home and truck and motorcycles so no additional payments needed there.

transportation: You can hire a truck/driver for 200 baht/day around here, so 6000 baht/month drives you every day of the month. We budget 1200/month for fuel/insurance/maintenance and it works pretty well unless we make a long trip (that falls under vacation)

Food: We go to Big C once a month and spend 3500

Electric: Paid last one yesterday, 1600 baht, but usually 1000 or so. We've been using A/C at night for the last couple weeks.

Water: 200 baht max, drinking water usually less than 100

Eating Out: I agree with 2000 max, and you'll be eating well.

daily expense for daughter in school (snacks, etc): 1200

school bus truck: 400

miscellaneous" 1000 plus (whatever's left over)

My beer: a lot

Hope this helps

mario299

For me it costs no less than 80.000 baht a month and many months it goes well over 100.000 baht.

Last month i paid my BUPA insurance which was added to my monthly expenditure and cost 33000 baht.

This month i bought a flight ticket to return to England as i do once a year to see my father which was added to this month’s expenditure, cost 41.205 baht.

Adding the monthly what i call 'hidden costs' to my monthly expences makes for me Thailand more expensive than England.

Well you think you are going to retire in Thailand and will only be you and your entertainment :D . You end up getting married and have children, this is not retirement, it is a new life. :D

Yeap not cheap :)

I find it impossible to have a decent standard of living on less than 80.000 baht a month.

Is Thailand cheap?

No way!!

I've posted on many of these same topic what it costs me, but I'm single so I won't post on this one because the OP specifically mentions children. All I know is a relatively nice home on the outskirts of Chiang Mai will rent for about 10,000 to 15,000 baht a month, but you would be tied into a lease of some sort. Electricity and water would be on top of that. A simple ride across town in a tuk tuk will cost about 60 baht, but the red bus (small pickup truck) is cheaper.

I'm also near ChiangMai (20km out), 3 bedroom house 7000bht a month, 1 year rental agreement (but I can walk away and they keep the 10kbht security). Water provided free by mooban, drinking water about 350bht a month delivered weekly. Electricity has gone up from 700bht to 1100bht because I've started using air-con at night for the past hot month.

Boater was pretty much bang on.

School fees, 20bht a day for snack allowance, dinner and school not exactly sure ??? (Kings school starts next week)

On another thread someone sending to a private school with class size of 16 pays 80kbht a year ...... pretty cheap IMHO.

Health care, we pay if we need it (like the Thais)

Our last meal out (for me, wife, mother-in-law, daughter) 100bht, and it was very good.

Our last day out (local resort with pool), 80bht (30bht adult, 20bht child), really nice pool in very pretty setting.

Our food bills, the wife has 200bht a day for the market shopping, and 1000bht in the supermarket twice a month.

Total about 40kbht a month for a family of 4 living in quite good style. We could cut back to 30kbht, but I like to eat and go out a lot.

Well you think you are going to retire in Thailand and will only be you and your entertainment tongue.gif . You end up getting married and have children, this is not retirement, it is a new life. cool.gif

Like Nam-thip says this is unavoidable, single guy, they gonna get you! (I was single for about a week)

You initial estimate of 40kbht a month was bang on, only the distribution was a bit off.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I live in a village north of Khon Kaen and we are a family of 4

Average weekly Tesco shop 1,500 Baht. Plus day to day shopping, maybe totals = 8,000 per month

Electric and water - no air con, only fans 800 BtPM

We don't eat out often, but when we do is usually at a moogata. One of those places where you eat as much as you like and have a BBQ on the table. Around 150 Baht per person.

No rent to pay. Our basic living expenses total about 15,000 BtPM, but we spend more than 40K

I don't know how much my missus spends from her earnings, but possibly 5,000 and sometimes up to 10,000 per month on kid's and her clothes and her cosmetics.

I doubt that you will rent for less than 10K and probably more like 15K per month

It really depends on your style of living, but renting a house in an Isaan town and a comfortable lifestyle, you would probably need no less than 60,000 BtPP

Add to this the cost of running a car, if you want one, schooling for the children and medical expenses and you will find that Nam-thip is pretty close to the mark.

A single person can live here quite cheaply, but with a family - not unless you want to live like a peasant!

Edited by loong

I just wonderd if the good lady has family about, because if she has you can double all the above. As they will be round 5 time's a day with the begging bowl. And dont think it wont happen it will. Tip, near family yes no problem, that's if there 500k away.

This is the best answer I could find:

Advice to my Son

by J. Peter Meinke

The trick is, to live your days

as if each one may be your last

(for they go fast, and young men lose their lives

in strange and unimaginable ways)

but at the same time, plan long range

(for they go slow; if you survive

the shattered windshield and the bursting shell

you will arrive

at our approximation here below

of heaven or hel_l).

To be specific, between the peony and the rose

plant squash and spinach, turnips and tomatoes;

beauty is nectar

and nectar, in the desert, saves –

but the stomach craves stronger sustenance

than the honied vine.

Therefore, marry a pretty girl

after seeing her mother;

show your soul to one man,

work with another;

and always serve bread with your wine.

But, son,

Always serve wine.

Edited by Loz

Didnt know Chiang Mai was in Issan????

Hi thanks for the replies,

i personally have only ever given a few hundred baht to the grandma. that is it. the parents live a good life. the immediate family live quite well. i discussed this with my TGF, and i wont be expected to pay anything ( lol famous last words ), except give her some money each month. I agree, when you add things up, thailand can be quite expensive. in the UK i can live quite happily on 40pounds a week in food, and 15pounds petrol. utilities come out of bank on DDR so i never see them :).

if i became a resident then in thailand, i would not have to get any medical cover?? if i get ill, just go to the hospital, and pay ( like thais ).

i can see that i may need up to 45k/50k a month, so i will budget for that. which is about 13000pounds. this does seem alot, but if you are living here full time, it is ok i guess.

thanks for replies

I looked at 5% inflation per year and its worked quite well,even though i had 3 years living on 75 baht to the pound and another 2 years at 69.9,so when someone asks me how much do you live on per month my figures could be different than the next purely on the exchange rate.

Over the last 6 years i have spent approx 10 million baht to set up my life,and now maybe 40-60,000 per month for 3 of us.The secret is have some spare cash just in case something happens,and make certain you have more money when you get older,for any problems that are not covered by health care insurance.

When i retire in 8 years my monthly income will increase by at least 60,000 baht a month and hope i am still young enough to enjoy,if not i would have had the best 15 years of my life in Thailand

I've always had the rule of thumb of plan out what you'd think you would need and then double it. If time is involved triple it.

Thats great advice.

I rent several houses in Surin, for my work. I rent a fabulous house just on the outskirts of the city for 6,000B, 3 bedrooms (sleeps 5), kitchen area, nice size sitting are inside and beautiful garden area.

With yourself and two kids i would suggest that the posts in the region of 30-40,000B would be about spot-on. But as the quoted poster offers "plan out what you think you would need and the double it!"

Have a great time in Isaan, it's a beautiful part of Thailand.

You missed the biggie though - 2 kids schooling (plus health insurance)

Agree. Kids could be potentially the biggest expenditure in Thailand. School fees for 2 are somewhere between 2,000 and 2mio baht a year in Thailand - depending on your views, and what is important to you and what you can afford. In Isaan obviously choices are very limited and you're towards the 2,000 end, whether you like it or not.

Health insurance. Personally think it's a bad idea to go along with the idea, I can pay as I go, the Thais do, unless you've a few tends of thousand dollars tucked away, you wouldn't bat an eyelid at losing if the worst happened. Particularly if you have kids. State is fine for the basic things. Not for something serious. Think do you have a few hundred thousand THB tucked away if need be. I know first hand people who have run up bills in ICU for THB 2mio in the better hospitals, and for the conditions they had you wouldn't want to be under the state system.

Yea I am about 70000 a month.........

But you can do for less it just depends on your standard of living......

Is Thailand cheap?

No way!!

I budgeted 50K a month which is easily achievable on my own.

However, I'm currently, and reluctantly, paying for two and I'm sometimes finding it hard to put the brake on spending.

I'd say, make your budget as best you can and aim for that but keep a reserve pot that you can dive into when needed (and panic when you see it disappear). Eg. I've had family over and my girlfriend has had family over and it'll inevitably end up costing you money.

Also, we sometimes take for granted that everything is cheaper and in general it is. But if you have a cheapo budget then certain purchases can rock it. Protect yourself against that.

The best advice I've seen is just to make yourself comfy without going overboard.

And if you live off savings abroad keep a nervous eye on the exchange rate.

Other than that I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by schmutzie