Bamboo House Build

Smithson

I thought some ppl would be interested in a house we're building from bamboo. It's not a new place, the old house was falling down, we've removed some walls, replaced concrete columns with bamboo and are using the old slab.

Besides being pound for pound a strong as mild steel, bamboo is one of the most sustainable building materials around. Some of the eco friendly things about the build include:

- No use of petrochemicals

- Recycling of wastewater and humanure

- As little 'embodied energy' as possible in materials (i.e. not having traveled long distances or requiring heaps of energy to produce, mine etc.)

- No rubbish produced from the building site

- Be energy efficient (no air con or lights required during daylight hours

Bamboo is subject to insect attack, rot and mold. To guard against this we treated it with a borax based timber preservative.

Here's a pic of the old house.

post-25665-1272507006_thumb.jpg

The roof has been taken off

post-25665-1272507102_thumb.jpg

Removing the columns

post-25665-1272507146_thumb.jpg

First column goes up, it's raised to protect from rain. Concrete and rebar run about 50cm inside the bamboo.

post-25665-1272507895_thumb.jpg

Other columns and beams go on.

post-25665-1272507914_thumb.jpg

Trusses go up

post-25665-1272507985_thumb.jpg

Once the trusses were in place, the ridge and other purlins were added.

post-25665-1272508022_thumb.jpg

The scaffolding being used shows the strength of bamboo.

post-25665-1272508129_thumb.jpg

For rafters, we are using the smaller diameter bamboo, besides holding the thatching, these add bracing.

post-25665-1272508076_thumb.jpg

The pic below shows where we were at when I left the job Monday, to return to work in Bangkok.

post-25665-1272508115_thumb.jpg

They are now adding the thatch, which should be done when I return on Friday. The guys have been working really hard in 40 degree heat to get to this stage. Once the roof is on we can breath a sigh of relief knowing the bamboo is protected from the sun and rains (which could start any day).

Edited by Smithson

Why not put down the whole house? Looks interesting, but I have my doubts about durability... anyway, thank you for sharing and please show us the progress. :)

Edit question: What do you use to connect the Bamboo with the Bamboo? Screws?

Edited by Chonburiram

Had one of those long bamboo ladders once that we kept behind the house laying down, painted it regularly with chaindrite but in two years it was a pile of dust, problem seemed to be that the little critters burrow up inside the cavities in the bamboo and the chaindrite did not seem to soak through the hard bamboo skin.

It's a shame that bamboo is not used more often in construction. Of course many Thais look down on bamboo as a material. There are many different types of bamboo, so I assume that you have used one suitable for construction. Do you know what type it is?

Well done for using an easily renewable resource and I wish you luck.

By thatch, do you mean those grass/reed panels that you buy for about 6 baht each? Do you treat them at all? I have found that the ones we have used are totally useless in less than 2 years.

As mentioned earlier, we treated the bamboo using borax, this is effective against borers and termites. The process injects the preservative into the base of the pole, pushing out the sap and replacing it with borax. The VDO below shows the sap dripping out the end.

Edited by Smithson

I helped a Thai friend build a bamboo House, just outside Kappa near Rannong. It was mostly Jungle so the bamboo was free, We got Bamboo that was 6/7 inches across and made planks out of them by splitting the Bamboo lengthways, the whole house was bamboo, Bamboo can be used totally for a house build it should last a while as long as the Bamboo is green when first used.

Good work, much higher specification than usually seen in Thailand. It has sufficient pitch for solid rain protection and the thatch density triple what Thai's would use which should greatly improve longevity. Also like the long overhangs for protection. Very well thought out.

What are those "sky lights" about?

Can you post close ups of the joinery? Most interested in seeing the joint used to connect the plates (beams parallel to the roof) to the posts.

Good work, much higher specification than usually seen in Thailand. It has sufficient pitch for solid rain protection and the thatch density triple what Thai's would use which should greatly improve longevity. Also like the long overhangs for protection. Very well thought out.

Thanks for the compliment, to be honest the house simply incorporates features common in traditional tropical architecture. Unfortunately, these things have been 'forgotten' and much of LOS's housing is based on Western models that don't fit.

The high pitch also helps air flow, while the overhangs protect the bamboo from sun and rain.

What are those "sky lights" about?

Originally there was a different design - openings perpendicular to the roof with valleys (can't remember what they're called). When it came to doing these we realised there was not enough treated bamboo and the flashing could be tricky, so we opted for the skylights instead. The change was made quickly and could of done with a bit more thought - ideally the openings should be larger/lower as there's quite a nice view.

Nonetheless, they're effective in letting light in and heat out. The mezzanine floor is cool at night and there is no need to turn on lights at any time during the day.

Can you post close ups of the joinery? Most interested in seeing the joint used to connect the plates (beams parallel to the roof) to the posts.

We've just come back from the block, however I was only able to get a few pics due to camera problems. So I can't post close ups of the joints. For those bearing more load we have used nuts and bolts, while for others we've used bamboo dowels and wire.

There crew were quite skeptical about the whole project, however now we're close to completion they're really please with their work and look forward to the next job. Bamboo is so integrated into the lives of ppl in Asia, that they often forget it's importance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

once the ants get in it is <deleted>, or any other termite,

Had one of those long bamboo ladders once that we kept behind the house laying down, painted it regularly with chaindrite but in two years it was a pile of dust, problem seemed to be that the little critters burrow up inside the cavities in the bamboo and the chaindrite did not seem to soak through the hard bamboo skin.

I gotta say this "another one bites the dust""another one bites the dust" oh oh

I would hope that this type of roof is quieter during heavy rain than other options?

I believe that borax also provides some flame retardant properties?

Is fire safety an issue that you have addressed both during the build and in your finished home?

• 2 months later...

I would hope that this type of roof is quieter during heavy rain than other options?

Is fire safety an issue that you have addressed both during the build and in your finished home?

The roof is relatively quiet, with very good insulation. Borax is used as a fire retardant, however no research has been done on whether borax preserved bamboo is more fire resistant.

Probably the biggest downside of the roof is it's flammability, we've installed several hoses around the house just in case.

• 5 months later...

Hi,<br>I am considering a similar project using Bamboo and wanted to get an update on how your project turned out.  Did you have problems with termites, etc. as several people expressed concerns about this?  Also, where did you purchase the treated bamboo?<br>Thanks<br>

• 2 weeks later...

The roof is relatively quiet, with very good insulation. Borax is used as a fire retardant, however no research has been done on whether borax preserved bamboo is more fire resistant.

Probably the biggest downside of the roof is it's flammability, we've installed several hoses around the house just in case.

Nice experiment, I laud your courage. In college, I wove & lashed together a bamboo dome, made a tent cover, and called it home for a few months while building a house.

Here are my thoughts:

1. the surface between concrete & bamboo (or most woods) posts will rot at an accelerated rate due to continuous dampness at that surface and lack of air circ to dry it out. Thus, all wood-to-concrete joints require a moisture barrier, either fluid-applied or sheet goods. When you replace yours, consider painting on a bituminous coating. over the concrete surface.

2. flammability issue is biggest concern. recommend having smoke detecters in every room, fire extinguishers beside several, strategically-located building and room exits so that you can beat a hasty exit, then from the relative safety of an exitway, make the choice of whether it's advisable to go back and fight the fire. A fire in your structure will burn alarmingly quick! If you have children & upper floor bedrooms, provide a rope ladder at their bedroom windows and train them.

3. fully enclose your electrical system in conduit & wiring device boxes, sealed up watertight to prevent sparks from exiting, and water from entering the enclosure system.

4. I don't have any info on the longevity of the borax preservative - do you, and if so, would you please share it?

Good luck with it, and please post updates and post-occupancy evaluation!

All the best,

I mentioned fire extinguishers as a faster response opportunity and higher pressure fire suppression alternative to the water hoses you mention. The first thing to go in a fire is the electrical system, so your water pump will be inoperative! Also, water on an electrical fire is a danger in itself.

I recommend several, properly rated, large size extinguishers strategically placed around the structure. Don't let the laudable desire to 'go natural' lull you and your loved ones into a life safety risk... remember, uranium & lead are 100% Natural jap.gif

• 3 months later...

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, below are some pics and info.

- The bamboo we sourced from a local farmer. To ensure the quality/maturity we picked each pole and were there when they were cut.

- We treated them ourselves and continue to treat bamboo for other projects.

- The suggestion of fire extinguishers is excellent, I noticed this in thatch resorts in Bali, but haven't see them here.

View from the front, during heavy rain and wind we will get some spray in parts of the house, however this is rare and I don't want to lose the open feel.post-25665-0-53369900-1311163123_thumb.j

One from inside.

post-25665-0-31438300-1311163204_thumb.j

Looking up the stairs to the mezzanine, our 'bedroom' is behind the woven panel.

post-25665-0-02444400-1311163322_thumb.j

The mezzanine floor, we had a lot of furniture made from bamboo we'd treated.

post-25665-0-81235600-1311163430_thumb.j

The kitchen,

post-25665-0-20831800-1311163494_thumb.j

Another view from outside

post-25665-0-10765800-1311163581_thumb.j

Thanks. Regarding termites and insect attacks. We have had no problems, a lot of the rafters weren't treated, some of these have been attacked a little, we can replace them with the thatch in about 5 years.

None of the treated structural poles have been attacked and I don't expect them to. I've tested other pieces by placing them near termite nests and they've been left alone.

The house remains cool thru the day and due to the limited thermal mass, doesn't hold heat at night.As there is no air con and no need for lights in the day, electricity bills are low.

That is beautiful, awesome work! A common problem with thatch roofs in Thailand is boring insects get in the thatch splines, dropping heaps of sawdust below. What are your experiences and precautions there? Another potential issue for some is the electric company says they won't grant a permanent meter to a building with only a thatch roof.

That is beautiful, awesome work! A common problem with thatch roofs in Thailand is boring insects get in the thatch splines, dropping heaps of sawdust below. What are your experiences and precautions there? Another potential issue for some is the electric company says they won't grant a permanent meter to a building with only a thatch roof.

The boring insects into the thatch spines is a bit of an issue for us, it could be worse though. The simple solution, which we weren't aware of, is to use thatch that doesn't have bamboo spines, I think they use the stem from some plant which isn't susceptible to attack.

These are available with both 'ya fat' and 'bi juk', the cost is a little more but it's worth it. In the case of 'bi juk', there is a sea water variety that also last longer.

Electric meters should be a problem, you can get them prior to building and nobody asks or checks what type of structure you have.

Edited by Smithson