Pidgeon English

iwad2010

I speak pidgin, I write and read Pidgin English. Bar English is not pidgin English.

For instance, I can describe the workings of a turbine engine in Pidgin. Try that with bar English.

Patois or what is spoken in most west Africa could be better called pidgin. Watch blood diamonds you will hear some.

"Lek go talad gin breakfast, David mai bai, have coffee"

That sort of stuff does me. I was in a supermarket about a month ago and there was a western guy with a Thai wife and a little boy of about 8. Mixed race so obviously his judging by their facial similarity. The bloke said to the boy " Dad go hong nam. You want go?"

Give me strength.

Talking pidgin to your own kid?

It sounds that the guy had learned some "Tenglish" from his wife, which is their way to "communicate."

I've met a Swiss guy always asking his Thai wife: Where is mai Ding? ( The 'ding' could have been his keys, wallet, cell phone, or any thing else. ) I no want you no say me. And so on. Freaky, really.

I speak pidgin, I write and read Pidgin English. Bar English is not pidgin English.

For instance, I can describe the workings of a turbine engine in Pidgin. Try that with bar English.

Patois or what is spoken in most west Africa could be better called pidgin. Watch blood diamonds you will hear some.

Hi Lumumba,

Congratulations for your upgraded version of that so complicated language called English.

You can speak, read and write pidgin? Could you please 'describe the workings' of a turbine engine in pidgin?

I always wanted to know how that stuff is working. Thanks in advance, is there a pidgin English school in Thailand?

Thanks for any advice.

Lumumba,

Here's an example:

Fut - Pidgin English Definition fut (futt) Definition: to fart; break wind; pass gas; also used to describe an elderly person (old fut) Used In A Sentence: Ho, so stink! Who wen fut? In English?: Holy toledo! Where is that hideous stench coming from? Did you just pass gas?

On the street or in a pub, I can just disregard that person as an idiot and go on my merry way. But in the classroom? You have got me to be kidding me! People who use pidgin English in an educational setting need to stop! It's so detrimental and it makes me angry when I hear "teachers" using it!

I’ve had this done to me in the past.

Now, I’m from Essex in England, white and English through and through.

Yet some Farangs I have met on my travels have spoken to me as if I have just travelled into town from a hill tribe village up in the mountains.

When this happens I usually reply; white man speak with forked tongue, why you speak me like that? Bledin el, are you think I’m idiot or something?

Another thing with some Farangs that really peeves me off:

I’m all for Farangs that can speak Thai. Good on em I say. But it`s when they can speak Thai and want everyone to know it, that really makes me want to snack them over the head with the heal of my boot.

Last year I was waiting in a queue at my bank. There was this loud mouthed Yank standing behind me. He first began speaking loudly into his mobile phone in Yankish, then the conversation turned into Thai. The whole bank could hear his conversation, he was constantly looking around with this stupid, look at me, aren’t I good smirky grin on his face.

Being as this moron was standing behind me, his deep loud piecing voice was droning right into my head. The urge to smack him in the face and smash his phone was over whelming.

I’ve witnessed this many times in shops and in public places.

I`m proud of those Farangs who can speak fluent Thai, but there is no need to try and impress us. Speaking normally and without that annoying in your face tone, will have a better impressive effort and hold more credibility.

a bit off topic

there is something worse than that. Germans, Austrians, Swiss who speak openly some complete shi*t, because they think anyhow no one can understand them.

The Swiss and some Austrian thinks that their strong dialect can't be understood by anyone.

The last thing I recall were two older Austrians who openly and loud discussed the details about their previous night with their young thai gay boyfriends -- in every detail--

(at least I could learn a lot)

I know an aging English guy, must be in his early 70s who has gone 'Full Pidgin' and doesn't appear to be able to get his head around using verb forms, not talking about himself in the third person and being able to form sentences anymore. He has been living in some desolate part of Isaan with his farmer's daughter for the best part of 20 years and talks in a mix of broken English and Bargirl-ese Thai.

One morning when he was staying here I remember him telling me something on the lines of: "Lek go talad gin breakfast, David mai bai, have coffee" when i asked if he wanted any breakfast. Not too bad, but when it was complete with gesticulating hands indicating she had gone somewhere and he would stay and drink something you knew he had to get out of the house more before his brain ceased to work entirely.

Maybe he was not English. Many German speaking guys came here without speaking 5 words English and they master now exactly the language this guy is speaking.

Whats with this stupid word stretched out at the end of the sentence I keep hearing all about?

I like you suuuuuurrrrrreeee

I come back suuuuuurrrreee

I big money suuuuureeeeeee

Yeah right, jog on you lemon.

:)

Brother Harpinder, is that you ?? :D

Thumbs up Fella..

I always though Patois ( is it pronounced Pa-Twa ?? ) was a form of West Indian Slang ??