My Coconut Juice Isn't Organice Yet?

My coconut juice isn't organic (yet),, if I use cow manure from unknown farmers as fertilizer for my coconut trees? For example, I don't know what the cows've been fed.

Do u have any further suggestion about easy and simply organic fertilizer?

Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

There's organic and there's pedantic.

Is this because of requirements for your coconuts to be certified as organic? If so, then I can understand your concerns. If not, why worry?

I have to buy some vegetables as I cannot produce all I need/want for the whole year round. The veg that I buy are undoubtedly treated with pesticides and grown with chemical fertiliser. I compost the peelings etc and believe that any toxins are mostly destroyed in the composting process. I still consider that I grow my veg organically.

As long as you compost the cow dung first, is it really a problem?

Is this because of requirements for your coconuts to be certified as organic? If so, then I can understand your concerns. If not, why worry?

I have to buy some vegetables as I cannot produce all I need/want for the whole year round. The veg that I buy are undoubtedly treated with pesticides and grown with chemical fertiliser. I compost the peelings etc and believe that any toxins are mostly destroyed in the composting process. I still consider that I grow my veg organically.

No problem. Just wanna do my best for it!!

And if you do your best, then you can feel proud of yourself. Just accept that certain aspects of your gardening/farming, you cannot have total control. Chemical air pollution is a fact and the rain will deposit these chemicals onto your land.

If you use manure/compost instead of chemicals, then you are being as organic as you can be.

Be proud that you are taking every step available to you to give nature a helping hand and also keeping it as natural as you can.

I, for one applaud you for your concern, but realistically, we can never do better than 99% organic.

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (loong @ 2010-05-05 09:33:22) There's organic and there's pedantic.

Hey cateaway I should have got this link to you sooner so you can choose your path in growing organically. By looking at your post I think you would have no problem being certified for organic internationally but as you see this is USDA (dept of ag US) spec's. Your instincts led you to make the right moves and in reality if you were (I don't think you are) looking to be certified by an organization it is a three year process. If you are doing what I think you are doing then you wouldn't have a problem being certified. Look at our pinned info for fertilizers and cover crops and you will start to see that you can control all sources of your soils amendments thru many simple and not so simple ways. Imagine farmers and organic growers not having a worm farm. I don't!!!! but I am in contact with a huge grower that sells the compost throughout thailand and I hope to buy a half of truckful of his three kinds of worms. Obvio0usly you don't have to buy worms as they will pop up in your compost eventually but i want the african night crawlers and whatever he is using for the other two as I am familiar with the africans and they are also going to be used for organic feed along with composting and possibly for sale also. Here's the link before i forget ( http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dD...=STELDEV3003507 it's nice to get some quick info with a post sikmilar to yours but we have covvered it many times over and you have it very easily at hand in our pinned section. Check it out and then get back to us because no matter how many times the same question may be asked there aloways are times when it initiates a new twist on the same old thing and we come up with a wonderful innovation that makes everybody's life better and simpler. i just didn't want to see you go off on a wild goose (elephant) chase when you probably don't need to. choke dee and in golf we say Fore but in farming we say Fordddddddddddddddd.