Sunday Lunch Recommendations

Thaihog

Although it's not allowed I vote for the Amari purely based on the delicious roast ham they had last time I went. For me the Holiday Inn was a disappointment although they have a huge selection I struggled to find anything that was really good. The Shangri-La have a Sunday Brunch (again I'm not sure if they qualify as I can't remember if they did yorkshire puds) which was nice and you can use the pool after. Someone will have to confirm the price it was 450 ish.

Am venturing out now to try one of the pubs..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Empress hotel buffet is the one I like best, but have not been to some of these others so I cannot give opinion and Empress is open every day so then I guess does not apply here. How much is buffet at Meridien hotel as I very much like salmon?

Do "Sunday Lunches", by definition, consist of only dreary British food or is it fair game to suggest any food of any country?

I enjoy good British breakfasts and roast dinners, but many of the places suggested here have a wide range of both Thai and International foods.

In my opinion, the Holiday Inn and Amari are the best lunch buffets for what I want.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Do "Sunday Lunches", by definition, consist of only dreary British food or is it fair game to suggest any food of any country?

I enjoy good British breakfasts and roast dinners, but many of the places suggested here have a wide range of both Thai and International foods.

In my opinion, the Holiday Inn and Amari are the best lunch buffets for what I want.

Recommending the Holiday Inn and Amari makes certain amount of sense but in an ironic sort of way. I guess that it all depends upon how much you like British food. I don't think that I've ever been to an British or Irish pub where iin Asia I liked the food (though I do often like thier beer). Thus it makes some sense to me that chef at a 4 star or 5 star hotel might refined it a bit and might and be worth a go. The only place that I've REALLY enjoyed the British food in Chiang Mai is Cheerful Charlies, but I have no idea if they I know if they serve a roast on Sunday. But defintely they will be happy to sell you some dam_n good plate of fish and chips on a Sunday.

Bobby's Arms

Address: Patpong Soi 1 1st Floor Carpark Building, Patpong 2 Road, Bangrak Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0-2233-6828 c2.gifOpen nearly three decades Bobby's Arms is probably the best known British Pub in Bangkok. Recently renovated, the place is bigger than it was and probably a bit more functional than charming. A huge screen shows all the important English Premier League matches and a very effective sound system can at times make it a bit difficult for people to talk to each other. Good value food and extensive menu – Bobby’s food is so good that it’s now a franchise operation with food sold at a variety of outlets around Bangkok. Bobby’s offers some dishes you might not get elsewhere – Cottage Pie being something not often on the menu in Bangkok. Darts, pool, local and foreign beers, happy hour is 16:00-19:00 with pints of draft beer costing 80 Baht (as opposed to the usual 120 Baht). The nearest BTS station is Sala Daeng and the nearest MRT Silom. To get there go down Patpong Soi 4 and it’s only your left. There is a dedicated dining area on the second floor.

Try Bobby's arms if you are ever in Bangkok near Silom Road. It used to be consistently excellent although I have not been there for awhile.

Bobby's Arms

Address: Patpong Soi 1 1st Floor Carpark Building, Patpong 2 Road, Bangrak Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0-2233-6828 c2.gifOpen nearly three decades Bobby's Arms is probably the best known British Pub in Bangkok. Recently renovated, the place is bigger than it was and probably a bit more functional than charming. A huge screen shows all the important English Premier League matches and a very effective sound system can at times make it a bit difficult for people to talk to each other. Good value food and extensive menu – Bobby’s food is so good that it’s now a franchise operation with food sold at a variety of outlets around Bangkok. Bobby’s offers some dishes you might not get elsewhere – Cottage Pie being something not often on the menu in Bangkok. Darts, pool, local and foreign beers, happy hour is 16:00-19:00 with pints of draft beer costing 80 Baht (as opposed to the usual 120 Baht). The nearest BTS station is Sala Daeng and the nearest MRT Silom. To get there go down Patpong Soi 4 and it’s only your left. There is a dedicated dining area on the second floor.

Try Bobby's arms if you are ever in Bangkok near Silom Road. It used to be consistently excellent although I have not been there for awhile.

I think Bobbys Arms is no more, I was passing through Bangkok about 6 weeks ago, I was staying nearby and it was Sunday lunch time...Purfect.

I wandered up the carpark ramp only to find the place empty, dark and covered in dust.

I had a scout around the area to see if had relocated nearby, no luck.

I went to the Irish pub (O'Riellys?) on Silom, but the buffet lunch was only so so

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to the Holiday Inn a number of times over the years and yes, it is very good but if you want a true British style Sunday Roast then it has to be the pub. I have been eating roasts there for about 8 years and it is always good. He will do a mixed meet plate on request also...... The portions certainally aren't small and if you want extra potatos they are more than happy to bring an extra mountain of them for you. Yorkshire Puddings are great also...... The Olde Bell is a good place and I enjoy almost all their pub fare, however I have tried Pedre's roast and the beef was par to chewing my loafers and the veg under cooked...... IMHO, the pub is by far the best spot for Sundays........

I have been to the Holiday Inn a number of times over the years and yes, it is very good but if you want a true British style Sunday Roast then it has to be the pub. I have been eating roasts there for about 8 years and it is always good. He will do a mixed meet plate on request also...... The portions certainally aren't small and if you want extra potatos they are more than happy to bring an extra mountain of them for you. Yorkshire Puddings are great also...... The Olde Bell is a good place and I enjoy almost all their pub fare, however I have tried Pedre's roast and the beef was par to chewing my loafers and the veg under cooked...... IMHO, the pub is by far the best spot for Sundays........

Pretty typical for TV. Someone joins TV, claims to have been around for years, then they proceed to either bash someone's business or promote another (in this case both). Some things will never change.

I have been to the Holiday Inn a number of times over the years and yes, it is very good but if you want a true British style Sunday Roast then it has to be the pub. I have been eating roasts there for about 8 years and it is always good.  He will do a mixed meet plate on request also......  The portions certainally aren't small and if you want extra potatos they are more than happy to bring an extra mountain of them for you.  Yorkshire Puddings are great also......  The Olde Bell is a good place and I enjoy almost all their pub fare, however I have tried Pedre's roast and the beef was par to chewing my loafers and the veg under cooked......  IMHO, the pub is by far the best spot for Sundays........

Pretty typical for TV. Someone joins TV, claims to have been around for years, then they proceed to either bash someone's business or promote another (in this case both). Some things will never change.

I agree. Newbies should start off by maybe contributing to the likes of the Rain thread, then let us know about where they bought their Honda Wave, and after a few weeks of similar posts then they can let us know about the important stuff like Best Sunday Lunch / Fish n Chips/ Burger etc. As for criticising another business, they shouldn't really do that in the first month or in the first dozen posts, whichever comes first.

I also agree. But those with more posts should be given a check, hand to the nuts, to make sure that they are still sound. Free = losers. Yes a lot of you readers are = losers. Yes it is you. It's OK you are what you are.

I agree. Newbies should start off by maybe contributing to the likes of the Rain thread, then let us know about where they bought their Honda Wave, and after a few weeks of similar posts then they can let us know about the important stuff like Best Sunday Lunch / Fish n Chips/ Burger etc. As for criticising another business, they shouldn't really do that in the first month or in the first dozen posts, whichever comes first.

Twofer, who has been a member of TV for all of a month but posts 5 times a day, is giving advice to newbies.

Only on Thai Visa!

It's not how much you have to say that counts.

Twofer, who has been a member of TV for all of a month but posts 5 times a day, is giving advice to newbies.

Only on Thai Visa!

I should try to be a bit less subtle when I'm taking the piss.

All I can say is thank God there are more people who READ Thaivisa than POST on it! My Sunday Lunch trade has gone up considerably since I started advertising on TV, so thanks to them!

For the record. I always ate Sunday Lunch when I was back in the UK and I eat my Sunday Lunches regularly at The Olde Bell and I can assure TV readers that our Sunday Lunches are of a good quality and despite what Asiajohnny says (and with 3 posts he's probably one of the other posters with a multiple log in), our beef is not tough, its of a good quality. Thaihog, doesn't like me or my place and is prepared to tell everyone how bad ours is. Of the TV members who've come to visit us on the strength of our ad's, the overwhelming majority - the people who actually go out rather than sitting in front of their computers with a bacon sandwich- have commented very favourably on what we do.

I have no beef - pun intended- with any of the other establishments proposed - indeed I have eaten in most of them! But the Holiday Inn for example, WITH discount card is 400 baht I believe. My Sunday lunches start at 175 baht with our discount card. and for the rest of this month you get a free glass of wine thrown in as well!! You can't really compare the two! Le Crystal is frighteningly expensive. Miguels serves fine Mexican food, but this thread was about Sunday Lunch which means meat and two veg!

At leat can we have a level playing field here guys!!

What a cliquey response... Internet politics at it's finest. I am not bashing anyones business in the slightest and as I said, all of the food at the Old Bell is very good and I would recommend it highly, however parking is an issue and on the occasions that I have eaten the roast there I have been dissapointed (In my opinion). This is not the case I have found with The Pub.

However, I do understand your angst, how could a new member (Newbie), drive anything but a "honda Wave" and have the audacity to post an opinion "about the important stuff like Best Sunday Lunch / Fish n Chips/ Burger etc.".??? I am fully aware of the past conflicts that have been driven up on this forum about or between establishments and I am not about to try the same, I can just vote with my feet and not go there if I so chose. Just because someone is a new member to Thai Visa does not necessarily mean they are new to CNX and just stumbled up here from the Full Moon party in a Chang Beer vest looking for a teaching job..... Believe it or not, there are numerouse people who have been here a long time with good jobs, a nice house and who even have the luxury of cars not "honda waves" and who have for some inexplicable reason, chosen not to enlighten themselves over the years by being a member of Thai Visa... That said, I think the forum is a good idea and if it can serve to 'assist' with the giving / getting and sharing of information to help all concerned then I am all for it... Hence the reason I just signed up...

After having 3 of the best Sunday Roast Dinners in the past from Jeaney (ex girlfriend mum) albeit 30 years ago, my mum's and Alan's at the Red Fox, Lamai Beach , Koh samui (probaly the best sunday roast dinner outside the western world) i consider myself a connoisseur on Sunday Roast dinners and will try and do a report on different establishments over the coming months.

Starting this week with O'Malleys.

Roast pork was the only meat available.

3 slices of pork cut very thick (approx 1/2 inch )

Mash Potatoes

Piece of pork crackling

Carrots and cauliflower

Apple sauce consisted of a piece of cooked apple

Verdict : Not really a Sunday roast as i know it due to not having roast potatoes, the flavour of the dinner seemed to have a sweet taste from the cooked apple, especially the Pork crackling.

There was a large portion of pork due to it being cut so thick.

What a cliquey response... Internet politics at it's finest. I am not bashing anyones business in the slightest and as I said, all of the food at the Old Bell is very good and I would recommend it highly, however parking is an issue and on the occasions that I have eaten the roast there I have been dissapointed (In my opinion).  This is not the case I have found with The Pub.  

However, I do understand your angst, how could a new member (Newbie), drive anything but a "honda Wave" and have the audacity to post an opinion "about the important stuff like Best Sunday Lunch / Fish n Chips/ Burger etc.".???  I am fully aware of the past conflicts that have been driven up on this forum about or between establishments and I am not about to try the same, I can just vote with my feet and not go there if I so chose.  Just because someone is a new member to Thai Visa does not necessarily mean they are new to CNX and just stumbled up here from the Full Moon party in a Chang Beer vest looking for a teaching job.....   Believe it or not, there are numerouse people who have been here a long time with good jobs, a nice house and who even have the luxury of cars not "honda waves" and who have for some inexplicable reason, chosen not to enlighten themselves over the years by being a member of Thai Visa...  That said, I think the forum is a good idea and if it can serve to 'assist' with the giving / getting and sharing of information to help all concerned then I am all for it...  Hence the reason I just signed up...

Well said. I like the cut of your jib. :thumbsup:

Only on Thai Visa!

Just for you, Quote of the day - Newbies are friends we haven't yet met.

That's 5 today already, quotas up. Have a good 'un.

Yes a lot of you readers are = losers. Yes it is you. It's OK you are what you are.

My mother doesn't think so... :crying:

Did you give yourself a check? Hand to the... (Of course not meaning you, UG.)

The topic is "Sunday Recommendations." It doesn't say, "Where to not eat," or "bash this place." Let's keep it on the positive side of things.

Edited by getgoin

Me being a fan of Holliday Inn sunday brunch. What other places can you recommend me. I'm not Brittish so not looking for those pub style mashed patatoes, but more the extensive buffets in that price class. Will try Amari Rincone as mentioned by others.

The Amari is really good, but in a different category. It is just good food, without all the high end stuff like smoked salmon and lobster and at the Holiday Inn. It is also significantly cheaper.

The Le Meridian  (wrong spelling?) is much more like the Holiday Inn and recommended if it has not changed too much in the last year since I have been there.

After having 3 of the best Sunday Roast Dinners in the past from Jeaney (ex girlfriend mum) albeit 30 years ago, my mum's and Alan's at the Red Fox, Lamai Beach , Koh samui (probaly the best sunday roast dinner outside the western world) i consider myself a connoisseur on Sunday Roast dinners and will try and do a report on different establishments over the coming months.

Mash Potatoes

Piece of pork crackling

Carrots and cauliflower

Verdict : Not really a Sunday roast as i know it due to not having roast potatoes, the flavour of the dinner seemed to have a sweet taste from the cooked apple, especially the Pork crackling.

Riveting report,can't wait for the next one !

Mash Potatoes

Piece of pork crackling

Carrots and cauliflower

Riveting report,can't wait for the next one !

Just keeping it simple Sparks :D as i didn't think you would understand anything with too much detail.

Edited by alfieconn

• 2 months later...

Have enjoyed reading all the reviews here. A question for those in the know - which place would you recommend for my family and I next Sunday lunch? This thread is a little old - do people still stand by their reviews or have things changed? Also, which place offers the best deal for kids? I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old so they aren't going to eat very much. Seems a shame that they might have to pay the half price for kids that the someone mentioned the Londoner charge for under 12 year olds. (approx 300 baht per kid)

Have enjoyed reading all the reviews here. A question for those in the know - which place would you recommend for my family and I next Sunday lunch? This thread is a little old - do people still stand by their reviews or have things changed? Also, which place offers the best deal for kids? I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old so they aren't going to eat very much. Seems a shame that they might have to pay the half price for kids that the someone mentioned the Londoner charge for under 12 year olds. (approx 300 baht per kid)

Not a traditional sunday lunch but the Holiday Inn do a great buffet for 500 baht a piece, free for the kids.