Motors Motors Motors

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of buying a car or pick up and I'm wondering......

What car do you drive?

How much did you pay?

Where did you buy it?

What year?

Cheers

Bike. Get the best deal on saddlebags at Chatuchak.

Edited by JSixpack

We originally bought a second hand pick-up (Nissan) for transportation during the building of our house. Cost me Bht 260,000.00; sold it for Bht 210,000.00, one year later.

As we had then bought a farm (a few paddy fields), we bought a new 4 x 4 Mazda, 2,500 Turbo for hauling rice (Bht 540,000.00). After the first year it was apparent that we were not going to get rich growing rice (Bht 10,000.00 net profit) so thereafter we rented out the paddies (29 pak per year).

Although the Mazda was then not necessary, we kept it on and I still have it almost 5 years later. It has only 70,000 km on the clock and we have had no mechanical trouble with it, with the exception that we had the wheel bearings replaced after 60,000 km as a precaution (Bht 1,800). Regular service (every 5,000 km) costs between Bht 600.00 and Bht 1,500.00.

As far as trading the Mazda in for a new model, we recently looked at the new Mazda CRV but the price was prohibitive (Bht 1,300,000.00) so we are hanging on to the old one probably until we run it into the ground.

You really have to look at what you are going to do with the vehicle once you've bought it.

Most people end up with some kind of pick-up truck. They are the cheapest to buy new and are reliable and suited to the various road conditions here.

Be aware however that a pick-up is not as safe as a saloon car; they are built to older specifications and certain aspects of their performance and construction make them inherently less safe than a car.

However if you do get a pick up think about such things as what happens to your dozen or so passengers in the back if you hit a bump at speed or have a roll over. In a 2wd there is little or no weight in the back of an empty pick-up, the other day after rain outside Rayong we counted ten pickups spun off on a 150 meter section of road.

If you want a good weekender go for a 4WD; it’ll get you in and out of national parks etc or over the top of Samui! They also have the extra ground clearance – so useful after heavy rain has flooded parts of your town., and they are less likely to spin off on wet roads.

The best value new pick-up at the moment is the new model Toyota Vigo which is selling at the same price or less than the previous model. A top range 4WD is under 800k! Availability has been a problem though.

The Mitsubishi is about to be replaced by a new model and there is a new Nissan on the way. Isuzu and Chevrolet are essentially the same vehicle (badge engineering) as are the Ford and Mazda – a very dated range now.

Cheap runabout car – Honda Jazz, saloons Accord or Camry. Avoid exotic imports; they can be expensive to repair and parts often have to be ordered.

everytime I leave Chatuchak Market I dream I had a Pick-up, sadly I just have a company car, a sedane.

Company policy: I cannot own a pick up (as company car), because the car must represent the company itself also with some clients and suppliers, and the pick-up appear to be TOO LOW PROFILE,

shitty comp. :o

I have a 2004 Isuzu Highlander 4x4, bought it new last year, one year old next month, reason i bought this, made in Thailand and spares are cheap and easy to come by, put a carryboy on the back with air con, still only done 5000 kms so it will last me for a few years.

Toyota Tiger 4WD Pick Up, great truck for Thailand, the versatility of a pick up is hard to beat, and the high driving position is good. If a pick up is your choice, I would certainly go for a 4WD version, you can run in 2WD all the time if you want, but the 4WD is there when and if you need it.

As to the poster who said Pick ups are less safe than saloon cars, I dunno about that, I hired a saloon car and was at the lights next to a Toyota Vigo 4x4, I was wondering what would happen if I was involved in a crash with one of them, would I want to be down here , or up there?

No contest, If he hit me in a side impact collision he would wreck me, if I hit him, I would probably plough into his running boards, the height difference is so much that he would probably get away with no injury, if he hit me on the side, the height of his bumper would probably take my head off. :o

As to the poster who said Pick ups are less safe than saloon cars, I dunno about that, I hired a saloon car and was at the lights next to a Toyota Vigo 4x4, I was wondering what would happen if I was involved in a crash with one of them, would I want to be down here , or up there?

No contest, If he hit me in a side impact collision he would wreck me, if I hit him, I would probably plough into his running boards, the height difference is so much that he would probably get away with no injury, if he hit me on the side, the height of his bumper would probably take my head off.  :o

Fair point but think there are pros and cons as regards safety. If you needed to make a rapid evasive manouveur at a reasonable speed (as is not improbable driving out of city) you'd probably be better in the saloon car. As said on other threads, Fortuner as well as a less nimble response would have much greater risk of rolling over, which is a pretty efficient way to do yourself serious harm or kill yourself.

Stats don't tell it all, but in the US saloon cars (excluding small cars) have significantly lower death rates than pick-ups and SUVs.

Fair point but think there are pros and cons as regards safety.  If you needed to make a rapid evasive manouveur at a reasonable speed (as is not improbable driving out of city) you'd probably be better in the saloon car.  As said on other threads, Fortuner as well as a less nimble response would have much greater risk of rolling over, which is a pretty efficient way to do yourself serious harm or kill yourself.

Stats don't tell it all, but in the US saloon cars (excluding small cars) have significantly lower death rates than pick-ups and SUVs.

Hi Charles, yes you are right, I just looked up some crash figures, it seems that in single vehicle accidents, Pick ups have a higher death rate than cars due to rollover.

Side impact, the pick up will usually win, due to weight and height advantage.

Interesting article, here is the link.

Pick up Safety

Edited by Bilko

Interesting article, here is the link. 

Pick up Safety

Interesting. Particularly this paragraph:

"For child safety, pickups again are less than ideal. No child — or adult or animal — should ever be carried in a pickup's cargo bed, be it covered or uncovered. Even a modest evasive maneuver can spell death for the passenger. The risk to a passenger in a cargo area is 10.4 times that of other occupants involved in collisions, according to the HLDI. More than 20 states have outlawed the practice, and that number is likely to increase."

TIT.

During the last 5 years of driving in Thailand the vast majority of accidents I have witnessed is the rear shunt, due to thais driving much too close and too fast! The pick up is at a great advantage in such an accident.

I have a 4x4 Toyota Tiger and think it's great, despite my wife wanting a saloon for social status :o

During the last 5 years  of driving in Thailand the vast majority of accidents I have witnessed is the rear shunt, due to thais driving much too close and too fast! The pick up is at a great advantage in such an accident.

I have a 4x4 Toyota Tiger and think it's great, despite my wife wanting a saloon for social status :D

That's one of the reason I hate driving in this country, you can control to some degree what's going on in front of you, but no control as what happens behind you, the amount of times I've been doing 120KPH on the highway with Somchai right up my arse, I flick the brake lights sometimes which sometimes it works, I'd love to have 5 minutes alone with some of these guys, putting your whole family at risk 'cos they're monkeys!!!! :o:D:D:D

On the other hand, countless times I've been stuck behind some a-hole blocking the right lane because he is soooo within speed limits even he's a kilometer behind the car in front.

Move over, I'd say. What actually happens is that every Somchai will try to overtake you on the left, maneuvering between ten wheelers and "vintage" pick-ups, which makes it a lot more dangerous.

There are plenty of drivers who will politely let you pass and then return to the right lane. I do the same when someone drives faster than me.

I don't know what the rules are for passing the cars driving at 120 km, but I know common courtesy.

Upcountry drivers have a system of signaling if it's safe to overtake them and when the road ahead is busy.

[That's one of the reason I hate driving in this country, you can control to some degree what's going on in front of you, but no control as what happens behind you, the amount of times I've been doing 120KPH on the highway with Somchai right up my arse, I flick the brake lights sometimes which sometimes it works, I'd love to have 5 minutes alone with some of these guys, putting your whole family at risk 'cos they're monkeys!!!!  :o  :D  :D  :D

Just this week I was tail gated by one of those long distance, Mor Chit-bound bus. Though he signalled, this Somchai overtook me when there was barely a space for one bus in front of me. Normally I would just honk and let go but I wasn't in the best of my mood that day so I did the same to this Somchai. Then there started the tail gating. The bus was probably no more than 1 meter away from my rear bumper. I have made a little modification to my car that I can illuminate the brake lamp with a switch of a buttom without stepping on brake pedal but that doesn't always seem to work. So many times I fought off this impulse to hit the brake in full stop (never mind the damage), drag the Somchai out and smash his face in. :D

BTW, what is it about this Thai people wanting saloon over pick-up, Honda over Toyota for social status???

On the other hand, countless times I've been stuck behind some a-hole blocking the right lane because he is soooo within speed limits even he's a kilometer behind the car in front.

Move over, I'd say. What actually happens is that every Somchai will try to overtake you on the left, maneuvering between ten wheelers and "vintage" pick-ups, which makes it a lot more dangerous.

There are plenty of drivers who will politely let you pass and then return to the right lane. I do the same when someone drives faster than me.

I don't know what the rules are for passing the cars driving at 120 km, but I know common courtesy.

Upcountry drivers have a system of signaling if it's safe to overtake them and when the road ahead is busy.

When I was in Japan, I saw cars blinking right turn signal from behind on fast lanes, a 'polite' way of asking to pass rather than signalling with high beam. And I think I'm starting to see that in Thailand too. I'm not so sure if that is universally accepted signal but I guess half the drivers in Thailand aren't aware of its meaning yet (or perhaps one would think the driver behind forgot to turn off the turn signal). Have you guys noticed that when driving on the fast lane?

Anyway I would let a driver like that pass me but there seems to be too many Somchais in this country expecting you to give him a way by harassing/tail gating from behind and I would never clear the way for those drivers. :o Not sure if it's worth the risk though. :D

Edited by Nordlys

During the last 5 years  of driving in Thailand the vast majority of accidents I have witnessed is the rear shunt, due to thais driving much too close and too fast! The pick up is at a great advantage in such an accident.

I have a 4x4 Toyota Tiger and think it's great, despite my wife wanting a saloon for social status :o

No it isn't!

No it isn't!

What isn't ? :D

In Thailand the car in front of you will quickly flick the right indicator to show that you can overtake, left-right flick means the road is busy and you have to wait. This is the upcountry practice with their one lane roads and big truck hauling rice and what not.

People behind you will signal with the high beam when they are really annoyed with your driving. Short signal is more polite than a couple of long ones - it's like a reminder - maybe you don't see that you are blocking the lane.

People who are continuously tailgating are just looking for trouble - let them go, they are not sane and are truly dangerous to start fighting with.

Very often faster cars approaching from behind are in a higher gear and they don't want to shift or break until the last moment, hoping that you'll give them the way. It's even more difficult if they drive automatic. If you managed to slow them down, they'll stay on your tail until they get a chance to pass. In this case, why don't catch up with the car in front so they don't blame you for everything?

Breaking hard with the idea that people behind you will be at fault for the collision is sick. And what if a bus or a truck that weighs ten times more than you simply sweep you off the road? Or a pissed off Somchai will come out with his gun and shoot you?

Very often faster cars approaching from behind are in a higher gear and they don't want to shift or break until the last moment, hoping that you'll give them the way. It's even more difficult if they drive automatic. If you managed to slow them down, they'll stay on your tail until they get a chance to pass. In this case, why don't catch up with the car in front so they don't blame you for everything?

I dont care who they blame if they drive like that. Getting closer to the car in front is not a good idea because the risk for a serial accident increases if a sudden danger appears.

I will always get out of the way to facilitate overtaking when I deem it is the safest thing to do, but I really hate those idiots who drive 40-50 kms over the speed limit and never slow down. Like spoiled little brats, they selfishly rely on everybody around them to follow their whims, and they leave far too little room for sudden accidents. It is <deleted> driving practice, pure and simple.

No it isn't!

If you're rear-ended in a pickup, they don't have the same energy absorbing crumple zones of an ordinary saloon; you are much more likely to sustain injuries such as whiplash. Similarly if you rear end someone the chassis based design makes these vehicles much less able to absorb an impact, the resulting forces are then transmitted to the occupants. If you are in a higher level vehicle again you have problems as the initial contact is not bumper to bumper which can result in torsion and uncontrolled deflection.

Breaking hard with the idea that people behind you will be at fault for the collision is sick. And what if a bus or a truck that weighs ten times more than you simply sweep you off the road? Or a pissed off Somchai will come out with his gun and shoot you?

Of course it's not the smartest thing to do and certainly not worth risking your life.

I just don't want those drivers to take it that they can get what they want by harassing people.

Long distance bus and truck drivers carry gun with them when driving??

No it isn't!

If you're rear-ended in a pickup, they don't have the same energy absorbing crumple zones of an ordinary saloon; you are much more likely to sustain injuries such as whiplash. Similarly if you rear end someone the chassis based design makes these vehicles much less able to absorb an impact, the resulting forces are then transmitted to the occupants. If you are in a higher level vehicle again you have problems as the initial contact is not bumper to bumper which can result in torsion and uncontrolled deflection.

May be true, but statistics show that you are up to 6 times more likely to be killed if you are in a saloon which crashes into a pick up or suv depending on weight ratios.

People driving 40-50 km over the limit, tailgating, honking, flashing lights etc. are not going to "behave" and an average driver shouldn't try to pick up a fight with them. Educating them is a waste of time, too.

Just let them pass. They are not interested in you unless you explicitly challenge them.

Bus drivers might not carry guns, sure, but Somchais in pickup trucks might.

And next time, please look around and you might notice that you are simply blocking the lane. Not every one behind you is a maniac.

There is some interesting things about pick-ups on this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...7&hl=giant+pick

People driving 40-50 km over the limit, tailgating, honking, flashing lights etc. are not going to "behave" and an average driver shouldn't try to pick up a fight with them. Educating them is a waste of time, too.

Just let them pass. They are not interested in you unless you explicitly challenge them.

Bus drivers might not carry guns, sure, but Somchais in pickup trucks might.

And next time, please look around and you might notice that you are simply blocking the lane. Not every one behind you is a maniac.

They'll do it no matter what.

They'll do it when I'm driving at 120km/h, they'll do it even if there's a convoy/long line of cars ahead of me, or no matter how free the left lane is or for that matter what lane I'm driving at. They'll just do it. And that's not maniac?

I agree educating them is a waste of time.

I guess I just shouldn't drive on the fast lane.