Teenage Briton Arrested For Drug Trafficking

george

Teenage Briton arrested for drug trafficking at Don Muang

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=10&tt_news=609

BANGKOK: Thai police have arrested a British teenager on drug trafficking charges after seizing 3,400 Ecstasy tablets from him at Bangkok's international airport.

Michael Alan Connell, 19, from Greater Manchester was arrested late on Monday when security officials allegedly found the pills in his travel bag after they were detected by an X-ray scan.

Connell had travelled from Britain to the United Arab Emirates city of Dubai before flying to Bangkok.

Detectives have not stated where they allege he acquired the drugs.

Connell is being detained pending a formal trial.

If found guilty, he faces a maximum penalty of death.

Source: Agents

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes they do scan on arrival. When i was there last july, a girl said to me put the bags to be scanned, and I told her no it has already been scanned and it has the security tags on it.

I just kept on walking. She then went on to get others etc.

It is not mandatory after you pass customs.

So this kid did a very stupid thing, he fell right for it and got his stuff scanned after passing customs. Had he not done that, he would have made it inside seeing the gorgeous Thai girls.

Daveyo

By the way they cannot stop you if you refuse. You got scanned when you left your destination, got scanned when you transfered planes at some city or country and you get checked by customs upon arrival. If that is not enough, then scanning before you reach public is very annoying indeed.

So to all expats out there, refuse the scan after you pass customs with your bags on that cart. They cannot stop you. It is not mandatory, and they cannot make such anyway because in doing so, will truly aggravate everybody.

If they ask why you refuse, just tell them what i said. I have been scanned since my departure and my luggage has security tags on it and it is not tampered with, so therefore i refuse the scan. Then say Khop Khun and get out of there and mind your own business.

hold it gang, something is dead wrong here. That kid left England. And i Know in England they dead to right checked out everything before you even get on that plane. Any checked in luggage was double checked before it got on the plane.

Not only that they have Drug dogs right there or around that area where the people are at and also in the checked luggage area. I know so because I work inside the airport.

If he was on transfer between flights, there is no way he could have gotten any dope between transfers. Still has to stay inside the airport and in the sterile area.

So now my question is this----------- Who in the heck set this KID UP??? Only way the dope got in ????????? from some airport employee in the luggage department before the kid got his bags//////????????? ######

Dr. PP you wise man. Think about this please and tell me true.

That tells me now we all better check our bags really good when we get them if this is true. You cannot even trust the employees handling your stuff.

Daveyo B):o:D

Your probably right Nat,

I'm not in the business of transporting drugs.

Michael isn't anymore either from the sounds of things.

That said, it's probably not a bad idea to keep a good eye on your belongings, none of us would unwittingly want to become a part of the business I am sure. :o

Guest IT Manager

One things for sure, 19, white, Bang Kwang Hilton.... mmmmmmmmmmm.

Idiot.

Hope he knows the end result, because if he didn't no excuse.

Bet his mum will be cross when she gets here.

It's all so pointless. If you can read any language, the rules are on everything. How stupid can you be.

:o

If they ask why you refuse, just tell them what i said. I have been scanned since my departure and my luggage has security tags on it and it is not tampered with, so therefore i refuse the scan. Then say Khop Khun and get out of there and mind your own business.

No Mr/mrs customs officer you cannot search my bag cos Dave Yo says you cant alright. Khop Khun :o:D

I don't think you can refuse a customs officer inspection of your bag if they insist, especially if you look suspicious. In Australia they certainly do random checks (say 1 in 10) but then again Aus is another country with very strict quarantine laws. Thailand's a bit different where you can probably talk your way out of an inspection.

It IS possible that he was set-up you know. It is very easy for anyone to shove a samll bag in your suitcase/backpack while you're waiting for it on the conveyor belt. If you want to be absolute sure that it hasn't happened to you, you can always inspect your bags BEFORE you exit customs. It's such a hassle that hardly anyone does it though.

Edward B,

One of the reasons I don't bother going back to Perth is that customs is almost impossible. 10/10 times for me I get searched, x-ray'd and my appliances get swabbed for drug residue.

I have the information on my mobile phone downloaded, business cards and documents photocopied.

I sent a letter to the Customs Manager at Perth International asking about this and he says that they have laws backing them that are quit broad in translation, any information they can gather about a person's travel history, associates and personal details that may prove suspicious they can keep to ascertain ones likelihood of being involved in illegal activites.

He said they even have powers to follow you home and raid your residence if they have reasonable doubt as to your legetimacy.

What can I do? I stay away from Australia...yes I am an Australian...yes I did come from Perth. :o

To get involved in drugs is absolutely stupid, especially around S/E-Asia.

Not more I can say, without knowing what happened. This guy was in Dubai or transited in Dubai. We don't know.

But what is this talk about refusing customs inspection? You approach the first officer and hand over your customs declaration. He might or usually might not question you. You go on and find some inspection benches and x-ray equipment. Also some more customs officers. These guys have a right to stop you for whatever reason and ask to open you luggage, to x-ray or whatever they feel is necessary.

This has absolutely nothing to do with security x-ray done at origin or transit. It's customs and they look for dutyable or illegal items in your luggage.

They follow certain rules, at random check, plausibility check, or no check because it's too hot today.

To walk away, perhaps you made it, but I would not advise to do it when they ask again that you stop...

No Mr/mrs customs officer you cannot search my bag cos Dave Yo says you cant alright. Khop Khun  :D  B)

Classic, Jeeez where do these idea's come from, they are Customs officers for christ's sake,.................................. Dave Yo, what planet are you on?................. i am sure you must be a troll, you cannot be real,, Dave Yo please tell me you are not real, restore my faith in my fellow men..........Just tell me ...pleaseeeee :o

yes they do scan on arrival. When i was there last july, a girl said to me put the bags to be scanned, and I told her no it has already been scanned and it has the security tags on it.

I just kept on walking. She then went on to get others etc.

It is not mandatory after you pass customs.

I hope you were joking when you did this, try that stunt in the state and they will shoot you on the spot :o

. I have been scanned since my departure and my luggage has security tags on it and it is not tampered with,

If you think about it Dave, you answered your own question. The ' gear ' had to be prepacked. The kid had no access, and nobody ' inside ' would load him up. Very hard to know where he was gonna go. LHR might have missed it. Unlikely that hold luggage was rechecked en route. Surin's assessment is most likely.

its a asame to be so young and be going where he's going  i really feel for the guy and hope he lives to see a thai lady again 

if he knew he was taking drugs out of the country then he must of known the risks he was taking, and therefore deserves all he gets.

if, however , he didnt know what was in his bags,if someone with a grudge had planted them, then he is in a whole heap of trouble,not of his making.

but 5000 tablets is a sizeable package. it would be hard to slip that into someones bag.

i wonder who he shared his hotel room with last night?