Travel Advisory Lifted By U.k. Foreign Office

Was nice to wake up this morning to see the Foreign Office lifted the travel warning for the "entirety" of Thailand, restricting it, as it should have always been, to Bangkok.

Senseless places like Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai were mentioned in the first place.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Yes ....Good News ...nows wheres my beany hat :D

Foreign Office lifts Thailand travel ban

The Foreign Office has downgraded its travel advice for Thailand and now no longer advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the county.

Travel to the country was discouraged after anti-government Red Shirt protestors and security forces clashed in late April leaving 25 dead and many injured. Days later, clashes between troops and protestors close to Bangkok’s second airport Don Muang left a soldier dead and ten injured.

The FCO still advises against travellers spending time in Bangkok but says it is acceptable to travel into the capital’s airport and then onwards to a safer destination within the country.

Officials also still warn against travelling in the northern provinces and Pattaya because of political unpredictability. It advises against travel to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ayuthaya, the Preah Vihear temple area and the far southern provinces of Pattania, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla because of insurgency in these areas.

Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport is operating as normal and the route to the airport from the city remains open.

:)

Well, I've given up waiting for the Reds to see sense and have decided to go to Cambodia for my 2 weeks instead.

It's a shame, really, as I would have sympathy for the Reds (albeit with very limited knowledge), but there comes a time to move on (look at Brown in the UK) and the protests in BKK are achieving nothing.

Should have mentioned that the Irish Dept. of Foreign Affairs has not changed its advice about not travelling to Thailand, which invalidates my travel insurance. If I could get insurance I wouldn't be concerned.

But as someone who loves Thailand, I do wish for a peaceful outcome (call me a dreamer, but look where Ireland has come in 10 years!).

• 2 weeks later...

The Foreign Office has downgraded its travel advice for Thailand and now no longer advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the county.

enjibenjii, somehow you have missed the title and the whole discussion above, and doesn't matter if you are an american or anybody else

enjibenjii, somehow you have missed the title and the whole discussion above, and doesn't matter if you are an american or anybody else

"Foreign Office lifts Thailand travel ban" is dated 8th May.

Wanting to know when would the FCO likely downgrade the travel ban that is in place at present. As it stands:

The overall level of the advice has not changed; we advise against all travel to specific parts of Thailand, including Bangkok