Non-imm Type 'o': How Is "income" Defined?

Before I apply for a Non-Imm O visa I plan to get the proof of income document from the US Embassy. I do not intend to lie to them, which is why I need to know how 'income' is defined by the thai government for the purposes of obtaining the visa.

I have no wages, no Social Security, no defined benefit pension and I'm too young to begin withdrawing from my IRA without penalty.

I earn non-trivial amounts of interest and dividends from bond funds each year. The US Taxman considers it income. Does Thailand?

My retirement and taxable accounts are with a single firm. I have set up automatic transfers from the taxable account to deposit fixed amounts to two bank accounts, which is how I fund my retirement until I begin drawing from the IRA. Is this 'income'?

I'm guessing the interest & dividends might be considered income (depending on the mood of an immigration offical who wanted to see my proof beyond the embassy letter) and the automatic transfers are not.

I'm currently in Thailand on a tourist visa. I can open a thai bank account with the required amount if it's deemed that I have no income, but I'd rather use the deposit + income method.

The US Embassy assumes that you uses the US tax codes to define income (active and passive/taxable and non-taxable). This should be acceptable to the Thai Immigration.

Your proof of income to the Thai Immigration is a statement from the US Embassy. The income statement from the US Embassy comes from your affirmation to them. The Thai Immigration only knows what you tell them about your source of income. If the Immigration officer wants to see the actual proof beyond the letter from the Embassy, then he/she would not be able to authenticate it. The US Embassy knows this also and that's why they only take your affirmation.

:)

Quote:

I earn non-trivial amounts of interest and dividends from bond funds each year. The US Taxman considers it income.

------------------------

Not being a tax expert, I would go along with the I.R.S. They consider interest from investments and such as "income" so I agree.

If it generates enough money to make a difference to your bank account, I'd call it income. Let others prove it isn't.

:D