Electrical Advice Please

Royspurs

I am building a house in Issan (but doing it whilst living in the US) on a recent trip to inspect the property I was amazed to see the size of the switches they had installed for my ceiling fans and the on/off switch for the panasonic individual room AC units. They are huge, looking like something out of a Boris Karloff movie when they powered up Frankistien!!

So I am in Australia for the next 4 days and thought I would pick up some switches (smaller than a kitchen cabinet) and take they back to Thailand next week before returning to the States.

So my questions is for our electrical experts are:

1. what amp rating switch would I need for the AC units (these units will be Panasonic for average size rooms domestic use) & can I use a switch with the correct ampage that on the surface looks like a light switch?

2. is a 3 position fan switch purchase in Oz going to work ok in Thailand (ceiling fans are just average normal fans purchasecd in Thailand)?

3. will these 2 switches be able to be mounted in the same switch unit (the size of a double light switch)?

I tried to discuss with my builder/electrician and was told they didnt sell these up country and not sure they understood me. Also I dont have anytime to look in Bkk so Oz is my last hope.

Thanks very much in advance Roy

Australia.

Switches 10A/15A /20A single pole 1-C-2.

Fan control units, electronic EMC. Fan controls will operate on 220V.

Socket outlets 10A/15A/20A 3 pin

Plug tops 10A/15A/20A 3 pin.

Multi gang Plates and metal mounting brackets.

Mounting blocks standard and shallow type.

Brands. Clipsal, HPM, PDL.

Mounting holes of AS fittings do not match Thai mounting accessories.

Switches will not fit Thai Standard plates.

Standard colour is WE (white electric)

David,

thanks for the response and excuse my ignorance, but for the AC switch would I buy 10 or 15 or 20 amp switches?

& I take it that a standard Australia 3 speed fan switch will work?

The guys in John R Turks wouldnt give advice (stating they were not sparkies) so I need to be very specific about what I want

thanks again Roy

David,

thanks for the response and excuse my ignorance, but for the AC switch would I buy 10 or 15 or 20 amp switches?

The guys in John R Turks wouldnt give advice (stating they were not sparkies) so I need to be very specific about what I want

thanks again Roy

Get someone to have a look at the nameplate on the outdoor unit and see what the starting current is.Depending on the cooling capacity of your split system,if it's a Panasonic inverter type system then the starting current will be low (probably around 5 amp) but if it's a standard system then the S.C will be high.You should select a switch to cover the starting current.

hello,

just buy the higher value ones can if your happy with the price and what it looks like,

you can always fit a larger rating switch to a smaller fan but dangeriuos to fit a smaller rating switch to heavy futy fan.

i'm sure you can get something suitable in thailand.

you may run into problems with box sizes and making them fit.

need some photos and more info. really

David,

thanks again Roy

For airconditioner units 15A eg HPM770/15 switch with a HPM770 switchplate and a standard

HPM mounting block.

The 3 position fan controllers will work in Thailand, install on a standard HPM mounting block.

Electronic versions are avaliable also, all fit standard plate and mounting block.

David,

thanks again Roy

why would anybody install additional switches for ACs? they all come with remotes.

David,

thanks again Roy

why would anybody install additional switches for ACs? they all come with remotes.

Compliance with AS3000/2007.

The switch is installed for isolation purposes adjacent to the equipment.

But we're not in Oz :)

That said, a number of countries require local isolation of A/C units (Malaysia, Italy, Philippines that I know from experience), Thailand does not.

A question for our OP. Are you sure they're just switches? I've seen several installations with local MCBs for A/C when there was insufficient room in the distribution board, simply replacing these with switches could remove your overload protection!!

That said, a number of countries require local isolation of A/C units (Malaysia, Italy, Philippines that I know from experience), Thailand does not.

A question for our OP. Are you sure they're just switches? I've seen several installations with local MCBs for A/C when there was insufficient room in the distribution board, simply replacing these with switches could remove your overload protection!!

Thailand in general uses a National 2 pole MCB 1.5kA of suitable current rating mounted in a National surface mounted block. You never rely on a remote for electrical isolation. The final subcircuit should be protected at the switchboard with a MCB.

Thailand in general uses a National 2 pole MCB 1.5kA of suitable current rating mounted in a National surface mounted block. You never rely on a remote for electrical isolation. The final subcircuit should be protected at the switchboard with a MCB.

None of our aircons has a local isolator, so it's probably not a Thai regulation (what regulations I hear everyone say). Certainly installing them won't do any harm :D

Our OP needs to verify how his A/C are wired, if they are connected to suitably rated individual MCBs at his distribution board then replacing them with suitably rated local isolation switches would be OK.

Overload protection should be part of your airconditioners controls.It will probly be self resetting (auto reset).

The MCB on the final sub circuit protects the cable from short circuit and any additional load eg socket outlets that may be connected.

One thinks that the reason for fitting the National MCBs is that they are low cost and the only product readily available. They are very common in Thailand.

oz/british paranoia at its best (as so often) :)

An isolating device may be a protective device on the final subcircuit (MCB) but for maintainance and safety a switch should be installed adjacent to the unit, in this case to control the compressor unit and the fan coil unit. If the location of the switch is exposed to the weather a weatherproof switch must be used.

An isolating device by definition can be a switch, MCB, RCD or RCBO.

oz/british paranoia at its best (as so often) :)

An isolating device may be a protective device on the final subcircuit (MCB) but for maintainance and safety a switch should be installed adjacent to the unit, in this case to control the compressor unit and the fan coil unit. If the location of the switch is exposed to the weather a weatherproof switch must be used.

An isolating device by definition can be a switch, MCB, RCD or RCBO.

Indeed, but there is no absolute requirement for local isolation. As noted earlier installation of a local isolator can do no harm.

In a domestic situation (unless you have a gigantic house) isolation at the CU is adequate, if you're paranoid lock off the MCB so a well meaning person can't turn it back on (Do not Turn On signs help too). All Western sparkies are taught to 'prove dead' before touching anything.

Anyway, the requirement (or not) is not really part of the discussion our OP is actually looking for less Frankenstein styled switches :D