Long Stay Tourist Visa

Hi all This is my first post and i need help on what my best options are for me and my thai g/friend so we can stay together. My thai g/friend's uk 6 month visa is up on 1st June she cannot extend it, am going to fly out with her back to Thailand,I have a friend who is going to rent my house for 1 year with which am going to use as income to stay and rent somewhere in Thailand.I need help on what is the best visa i can get flying out in two weeks time and how long for, am so confused looking on the web i need a plan English answer LOL, the best i have understood it is i get a 60 day tourist visa extend 30 days i can nip over the border somewhere and repeat 3 times = 270 days max in Thailand. In this time i will have got my divorce finalised and come back uk with my g/friend on a marriage visa get married sell my home and return Thailand for good that's the plan. Any advise will be so grateful. P.S am a artist can i sell my over their if my g/friend sells it (hush hush) Many thanks Craig

Craig, you can get a Non Immigrant O visa for visiting friends from Hull, you will need a letter from your GF inviting you and a copy of her ID Card, check the Hull Consulate site for more details. Gives you 15 months here, you have to do a border run every 90 days.

You can get a 1 year multi entry o visa from the Thai consulate in Hull. You can apply by post and will get it back within a few days. This gives you 90 days permission to stay every time you enter Thailand.

If you are over 50 and can put 800,000 Baht in a thai bank. Permission to stay with a single entry o can be extended for 1 year. That way, you don't have to do border runs every 90 days, but you do have to report to immigration.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

fly out with her back to Thailand

got my divorce finalised

come back uk with my g/friend on a marriage visa

get married

sell my home

return Thailand for good

i need help

does this help ?

slow down and take a deep breath before ur head explodes

got my divorce finalised

get married

sell my home

return Thailand for good

i need help

does this help ?

Words of wisdom there.

The visa is the easy part. You need to slow down and have a good think about this. Why the rush?

Have you ever been to Thailand? Why not take a holiday there first?

Words of wisdom there.

The visa is the easy part. You need to slow down and have a good think about this. Why the rush?

This is an important question. You have not mentioned whether you have been here before or not. If this is your first time you may be unable to cope with the heat, the rainy season (starting now), the food and the culture. Never mind language difficulties. You have fallen for a Thai girl in the UK who will then be on her own ground in Thailand. Her family here will come first. You will be frustrated with the fact that you won't understand what is happening, what is being said.

Finalising a divorce? Too many men get caught on the rebound when meeting some Thai angel. Then when the money runs out the dream is shattered. Don't burn your bridges back to the UK. Try a holiday here for a decent length of time.

Having said all that, and please don't think I am being negative, just realistic, good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by BWPattaya

hi all That's great info thanks all, I met my g/f back in 2006 on thailovelinks.com chatted on there for quite a while before i tuck the plunge and when to Thailand to meet in person.Since then been back twice on 30 day non visa's, one of them got an extension for 15 days after visiting Singapore where i was born (dad was in royal navy based out there). I am now 40 been separated for ex wife 12years and i feel knows the time to see if we can make a life out their together i lov her family lov the culture food etc. So with the info you have given me i'll see if i can get 15 months out their while renting home back in uk safe in knowing i still have somewhere back in uk if it all goes tits up.ps any help on working as an artist selling portraits while am out would be most grateful.Thats all Craig.

get your girlfriend to sell them for you, although it is not on the list of restricted jobs that farangs can do, am sure a local policeman might take exception and ask for a bit of tea money, so best to let her do it and you just hang around close by.

You can get a 1 year multi entry o visa from the Thai consulate in Hull. You can apply by post and will get it back within a few days. This gives you 90 days permission to stay every time you enter Thailand.

If you are over 50 and can put 800,000 Baht in a thai bank. Permission to stay with a single entry o can be extended for 1 year. That way, you don't have to do border runs every 90 days, but you do have to report to immigration.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

Yes HULL England is THE PLACE. I recommend this place to everyone I know so they can get a super easy visa for visiting friends. It's super lucky that HULL is there for easy visas because NO consulates in the USA will give this interesting visa. PERTH Aus is the only other consulate in the world known to hand out these 1 year visas for visiting friends. I think All persons worldwide with a Thai visa problem should go to this HULL place and get their super easy visa. I wish I had gone there in my 10 years living here on tourist visas before I got married and got a legit visa. If I could turn back the clock, I'd have made a yearly trip to HULL to get this 1 year easy peasy visa. This would be a great idea for thai visa dot com to start a visa service to HULL for these visas as so many people need them. I remember thaivisa had a service to Penang to get visas but this would be far better for people to obtain these great visas. A thaivisa company could set up travel and lodging arrangements for HULL. I bet business would boom off the map. It would take some work but would be so benefiacial for so many visa people not fitting the mold of working in Thailand, being married and under 50 years old. There are so many people in this group that a service for them would be so beneficial for the visa runner people, lodging people near Hull and Hull itself

Words of wisdom there.

This is an important question. You have not mentioned whether you have been here before or not. If this is your first time you may be unable to cope with the heat, the rainy season (starting now), the food and the culture. Never mind language difficulties. You have fallen for a Thai girl in the UK who will then be on her own ground in Thailand. Her family here will come first. You will be frustrated with the fact that you won't understand what is happening, what is being said.

Finalising a divorce? Too many men get caught on the rebound when meeting some Thai angel. Then when the money runs out the dream is shattered. Don't burn your bridges back to the UK. Try a holiday here for a decent length of time.

Having said all that, and please don't think I am being negative, just realistic, good luck with whatever you decide.

yes i agree

Craig, you can get a Non Immigrant O visa for visiting friends from Hull, you will need a letter from your GF inviting you and a copy of her ID Card, check the Hull Consulate site for more details. Gives you 15 months here, you have to do a border run every 90 days.

Hi Craig, very easy and not necessarily true what beano says ref copy of g'f's ID card and letter of invitation. You can apply to the Thai consulate in Hull, download the application forms from their website and send off with the appropriate cheque for funds and passport, (all info is 'idiot proof on the website). I did this last year, got a Non-Imm O, multi-entry - cost £100 + £12 admin fee. Sent off all forms and received the visa in my passport back within 5 working days. This should be your best option if you are coming for a long stay for the first time.

You will have to do border runs every 90 days to get your re-entry stamp, there are many company's here that offer this service and depending upon where you intend to locate in Thailand, the costs vary. I live in Udon so I drive myself to Nong Khai, (about 40 mins), and cross into Laos, go through the checkpoint and come back. If doing this, you will also have to factor into your costs of a Visa to get into Laos which is currently 1500BHT and allows you to stay there for up to 15 days should you wish to visit the country. I don't know if y ou have to pay for visa's to cross into other countries borders but once you are here you can no doubt access this info. If you have someone to rent your house, what have you to lose...nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hope this info is of use and good luck.

Also I forgot to mention, when you come into BKK airport, please ensure that they give you the 90 day stay stamp and not the 30 day one. This happened to me and it was a real pain in the ass to get it ammended.

Does anyone know if this also applies from Melbourne Australia Thai Consulate?

On their website it does not mention visiting a friend, just for business or if working.

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA-$90 for single entry, $180 for double entries and$225 for multiple entries

• Enables a 90-day stay. For business, professional education or other non-tourism purposes. A letter from employer, copy of the company’s registration certified by authorized director(s). Or a letter from educational institute must be submitted. For Non-Immigrant Visa (Business Visa for Teacher and Volunteer Teacher), the applicants must provide a National Police Certificate or a current Blue Card.)

I have a Thai lady friend (I am not in any sort of rush!!) who has a small private school. She wants me to teach English 2 days a week; I thought this might be a better way to get a extended visa? From the quote, it seems a letter from her as a friend I am visiting is less paper work than if I say I am going to work for her. Just work for love not money if it is illegal to work

Great responses thanks all........just downloaded the -Standard visa application pack from thaiconsul-uk.com - their's a couple of Questions am not sure how best to answer them 1. proposed duration of stay __________ "do i put 90days or 1 year"? & Evidence substantiating purpose of vist(non-immigrant visa only)________ "is that best answered visiting freinds".

Many thanks your info's have been a great help to me. Craig

Hi Craig

I put staying for 12 months, even though if you do your last visa run just prior to it running out you can extend this to 15 months. Reason for visit, I put visiting friends/family. Shouldn't have any probs with this.

On an additional note, it also may be worth you applying for an International driving license just in case you wish to purchase or rent a car whilst here. I got mine from Green Flag, (application form also available to download from their website). It only costs £5 for 12 months and is worth having just for the police checks alone if you're driving. It was invaluable when I purchased my car here to get it refistered and insured in my name. Just a thought!

Just some information regarding obtaining Non-O-Visas in the U.K.

I agree that Hull is excellent, whether application is made by post or in person. Previously I have always travelled to Hull in person and paid the 10 pound 'while-you-wait' charge. However this has been a costly option because of train fares from London and the taxi fares to the consulate.

Just recently I obtained an Non-O-Visa visa from the Thai Embassy at Queens Gate London (2 days to process, in person apply/collect only). 100 pounds.

I just provided a Thai home telephone bill (landline in my name) and a bank statement of my sufficient funds and on the A/F explaining that was 'living in Thailand'.

If you have a visa you can come on a one-way ticket, if you don't have a visa you should have a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

The requirement is that you have at least 20,0000 baht with you, but it is never checked. (Unles they have reason to beleive you can't support yourself. So dress a bit tidy and you won't have a problem).

Don't Forget the 12 month non O Visa Starts the day it is issued So best not to apply too early I to second and third Hull is Sound no Hasstle

You can get a Return at much less cost than two single tickets + Most airlins will allow you to Change the return Date Within 12 months for a Fee. Check with the Airline

As for proof of Funds I have never been asked to provide this in 4 Visits I doubt You will be asked Most people just carry a credit card Not Cash

Good Luck. Do not overlook health Accident Insurance

got my divorce finalised

get married

sell my home

return Thailand for good

i need help

does this help ?

Of course, we all hope your relationship works out for the best, but jackdawson's summary is brilliant. You have already concluded that you will enjoy living long-term in Thailand, that your relationship will be exactly the same daily nirvana that it has been in the UK, that earning a living as a foreigner will not be a problem and even that Thailand will not be in the midst of a civil war when you arrive. I've lived in Thailand for almost a decade and have witnessed more than a few Thai+Farang romances, normally starting with a meeting during a short holiday, progressing to "ditch the life (and often the wife) back home and move to Thailand" and ending up, sadly, as "but it's just not the same as it was when we first met, it's impossible to make a decent living here and now my money's all gone and I have nothing to go back to."

By all means embark on your great adventure, but I would skip Step 5 above --- don't sell the house in the UK. Rent it out and use the income to tide you over the inevitable periods of un- or under-employment that you will face in Thailand. And perhaps more importantly, as long as the capital is locked up in a UK property, you and your new wife (and her family and her distant relatives) won't be tempted to spend it all here. And you'll have something to go back to if, Heaven forbid, the relationship doesn't last.