Viscious Knives!

Davidcharles

I would say it is illegal to carry a large knife in Thailand, but it dont stop them being sold, lets face it you can buy a Kitchen Knife and do the same job.

Same as cards and dominos are sold, but if they are caught playing they are fined.

Funny old world aint it.................

A knife is a knife.They are all sharp and have the ability to cut.A knife can not be "viscous", this is an anthropomorphic term.The wielder of the knife is viscous or using the knife in a viscous manner.

What's the viscoscity of a knife got to do with anything? If a knife was viscous it wouldn't be that vicious at all then would it?

Does anyone know the law about knives in Thailand though?

In Aus this is the written law (section 65 of the Police Act):

"Every person who, without lawful excuse, carries or has on or about his person or in his possession any rifle, gun, pistol, sword, dagger, knife, sharpened chain, club, bludgeon or truncheon, or any other article made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person, or intended by him for such use by him. Every such weapon, instrument, and thing shall, on conviction of the offender, become forfeited to the Crown".

Of course I don't know how a policeman can arrest a person who is on his way home from a shop after buying a knife or bludgeon. If, however, said person was loitering then that would look suspicious and therefore give a policeman sufficient grounds to stop, question, interrogate, search and arrest said person.

I would think that it is legal to carry a knife,everyone that walks by my house generally has a very large knife,some are slightly curved ans some are in the machete class,but all carry them,and if a dog goes after them then you got a dead dog as is the Thai idea"if a dog bites you,then you deserve it as you should be able to kill it before it can bite you"

But like any other law in Thailand,law or not they are enforced at the will of the cop.

Guest IT Manager

I carry a leatherman, a proper one, with 2 knives. One is very sharp. Good for despatching the offensive mah. The serrated blade is very good for the barbecue afterwards for disjointing the little bugger.

:o

Guest IT Manager
I would think that it is legal to carry a knife,everyone that walks by my house generally has a very large knife,some are slightly curved ans some are in the machete class

Don't forget that life is different there for you as at my home for me, Kevin. When you walk out the back door to see a dog and a huge python, 3 elephants and a buch of cows, a kife is important.

Not like living in the mango. Sometimes you and I have to fight for our lives against the wildlife.

IT (recently back from Petchabun)

Well I have never seen anyone carring a viscious knife.Per Se..but they do carry knives.

Did you see all that from my back porch,?? My little red pup didn't scare you did she??

About 10 women down at the lake fishing right now,but they don't scare me any.and I don't see a python now either.

If I can catch one of them elephants,I gonna make some soup,I got a new recipe,but I gonna make it with out the hare in it.

If I can catch one of them elephants,I gonna make some soup,I got a new recipe,but I gonna make it with out the hare in it.

make sure those 10 women down at the lake fishing right now don't see you cooking elephants for soup, or else you'll be in the soup with rabbit in them :o:DB)

Guest IT Manager

I asked the ten women..they dont like hair in their soup either. So it's just the elephants.

And Kevin, yes I did, I thought you noticed me nodding after 6 hour drive there and another 6 hours back.

IT (fighting off pythons) :o

That will teach me to stop asking serious questions on this forum!

If those knives are as sharp as your wit I have no worries..... :o

I STILL DON'T HAVE A CLEAR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION!  DO I?

Davidcharles, what actually was your question?

I opt for Crocodile Dundee. 'This is not a knife, THIS is a knife..."

Guest IT Manager
That will teach me to stop asking serious questions on this forum!

If those knives are as sharp as your wit I have no worries..... :D

I STILL DON'T HAVE A CLEAR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION! DO I?

Mea Culpa David pet, (it was my fault), woe is me. Sorry about losing the thread there. Some knives are illegal eg., flick knives. Most knives are not until they are protruding from someone. Unlike the home of the brave and the land of the free, Thailand does not appear to see a person going to work carrying an implement,as a prospective tenant in a jail, rather a worker. It seems to be after the fact, that people are jugged for going about armed.

As for asking serious questions in the forum, perhaps you should look further afield than the threads you start. You would be surprised by the serious nature of some questions. You would also, had you a sense of humour, find, that some threads are so silly they invite humour, like the silly one about knives, and the legality of same.

Since you don't carry one it's of no importance to you. People you see carrying them have a reason to be doing so, including the 18" long scimitar like bamboo knife I use at my place (for bamboo) which, if caled upon can do sterling service with a butchered animal, or in a crunch I suspect, a dog which was killing chickens.

You can relax, most THAI people would not wish to do you harm, or most others either. In Cambodia knives are one of the weapons of choice for the despatch of the odd miscreant or former girlfriend/husband etc, as are several varieties of handgun. In Thailand it is most usual, except in domestic situations, to use a handgun also. (Source: Police Blotter, Page 12, Phnom Penh Post, every two weeks, same same). "... was chopped five times on the back of the head and was taken to the hospital" :o

DAVIDC, I am sorry for the levity,But I could not see why you thought that maybe the big knives would be illegal.

Not having ever lived in BKK or even in downtown CM,My take on the customs of the people might be a little different than yours,Where I have spent most of my time in Thailand,It is an ordinary thing for the folks to carry very large knives.

Even my 70 YO. mother in law carrys a knife about 18" in length,she wonders around and sometimes when she returns home ,she has a stalk of bananas,and never has she been dog bit.at other times she has a knife on a 1 meter handle and she chops stuff with it,and people carrying machette's is just normal to me,Sorry...

had you a sense of humour, find, that some threads are so silly they invite humour, like the silly one about knives, and the legality of same.

Gentlemen I thank you for for answering my 'silly' question.

I can well understand people in the countryside using knives for very practical

reasons, but in BKK I think that they would not be likely to do so unless it was to cut someone up!.

I just wondered it the carrying of knives was legal, that's all.......now I know

(sort of).

Finally, IT my friend, if you care to caste an eye over my many posts, I think that

whether I have a sense of humour or not will be clearly revealed.

Take care.