Best Bbq Firewood?

Can someone please recommend a type of wood, available here in the Kingdom, that would be best for smoking meat or cooking over an open flame. In the U.S. (Texa ) it would be "Mesquite". In Hawaii, it would be" Kiawe wood". In other parts of the world, it might be hickory chips. What would you use here? Thanks

Actually, in the US, Mesquite has limited use for smoking -- it tends to burn too hot, so is best used for hot-smoking or smoke-cooking.

Applewood and hickory are two examples of better wood for cold smoking... in the US.

Where I live here in Thailand central region, mango wood works quite well, and is quite available and inexpensive when the trees are trimmed.

I hadn't heard about lumyai, but it sounds interesting, slapout.

However, lumyai tends to be grown mostly in the north.

Many fruit woods are good for smoking, but not all.

So the OP should take a look around his region and see what is available.

Not 100% sure, but I think mangos grow everywhere in Thailand, no?

Thanks for the replies.

Very good point about the differences between wood used for smoking and that used for open flame. I have read other places on this forum that mango wood has toxic qualities and isn't recommended. And I am specifically looking for a Mesquite type wood that I can use to make a very large BBQ for a school fundraiser. More precisely, BBQ chickens.

I guess the next step is to find someplace that has this Lamyai wood. Is that from a Lamyai fruit tree?

I am on Phuket island and if anyone has a suggestion where I might find it nearby, would be helpful. I suppose I will have to dry/age the wood myself. Thanks

In Hawaii, it would be" Kiawe wood".
What I would do for some good kiawe wood for a BBQ. I have to agree that mesquite is only for quick cooking as it burns hot and quick.

Mango wood sounds good. Anyone ever try to use mangrove wood? Once dried, it seems like it would make for good bbq.

• 11 months later...

In Florida I have had some great Chicken and beef cooked over Orange wood. I don't recall seeing it used for smoking. I know there are lots of oranges grown here, but not sure if the wood is acessable.