Expired Tourist Visa In A Somewhat Unique Situation, Need To Re-enter...suggestions?

I am a US citizen, and I entered Thailand in February with a 60 day, 2 entry tourist visa. I was there for 50 something days and I used up both entries, so essentially that visa is expired, though I don't see anything to that effect in my passport. I need to go back to do an internship which will require approximately a 60 day stay, but at present I am in Taiwan, where there is no Thai embassy/consulate. My question is, can I just fly into Thailand and get entry now with no visa (or an expired visa), and then sort out my extended stay with a visa run? I'm not sure if a visa run works when I don't have a visa to begin with. Or, should I go to the trouble of stopping over in a place with a Thai embassy, ie Hong Kong, for a few days and officially apply for a tourist visa before re-entering? Can I even get a new tourist visa given that I last left Thailand in mid-April?

I know its a complicated question, so thanks for any help!

There should be a Thai mission in Taiwan, only for diplomatic reasons it is not called an embassy or consulate.

Without a visa, you will get a permision to stay for 30 days entering by air. If you do a border run afterwards you will get a new 30 days if arriving by air or 15 days when you arive at a land border.

Another option is to go to vientianne and get a double entry tourist visa there.

An internship still requires a work permit, unless it is part of your training by a Thai educaitonal institution.

There should be a Thai mission in Taiwan, only for diplomatic reasons it is not called an embassy or consulate.

Without a visa, you will get a permision to stay for 30 days entering by air. If you do a border run afterwards you will get a new 30 days if arriving by air or 15 days when you arive at a land border.

Another option is to go to vientianne and get a double entry tourist visa there.

An internship still requires a work permit, unless it is part of your training by a Thai educaitonal institution.

Thanks!

It's a volunteer "internship," so I think I'm ok with the tourist visa.

Are you suggesting going to Thailand first, getting the 30 day stamp, then making a visa run by flying to Vientianne and getting the 60 day tourist visa? Or do you mean going there first? Is there any difference/reason to do one over the other? Why there instead of Hong Kong?

Edited by mystyleisnostyle

Apply for a visa at the Thailand Trade and Economic Office in Taipei. I am not sure how long it takes, but would allow at least a week. If the visa is not issued free, the fee is 1,100 NT$.

It's a volunteer "internship," so I think I'm ok with the tourist visa.

Technically, even for unpaid volunteer work, a work permit is needed. As a practical matter, the authorities might ignore it.

A Thai Consulate or embassy does not exist in Taipei but a trade mission does which from most accounts, is not visa friendly but with proper paperwork from the company you will be getting the internship from, will give you the 90 day visa. You need to obtain a non immigrant visa if possible.

You could get a tourist visa in Taipei and change it to a non immigrant visa in Thailand but its much more paperwork intensive. Best to get it in Taipei, if at all possible, which means the criteria of at least a letter inviting you from the company and their documents. The document from your school would also be required as you will be an intern.

The address is

No. 168, 12th Floor, Sung Jian Road,

Taipei 104

Tel. (88-62) 2581-1979

Fax. (88-62) 2581-8707

Email. [email protected] and office hours

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday

09.00 - 12.00 hours

Back in the afternoon from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Administrative fees are only charged by honorary consulates, not general consulates or embassies. That is because a honorary consul is not a government employee and doesn't receive a salary. Instead a receives his income from the issuence of visas. Free visas means no income for them, so they charges an admin. fee.