Thirty-five Dead In Worsening Bangkok Violence

webfact

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look at this and make up your own minds, this is the true intellect of the people the Government has to deal with. what are the red excuses for this? Photshop? fake red? DISGUSTING !!!

Does the kid even understands the conflict? NO! His red parents just put him there.

Gotta run - but I'll be back for now I'll just say the Red Shirts may be ignorant of the niceties of democracy as much as they would be with the proper use of a full western dinner setting. However, they are well acquainted with corruption, vice and poverty. If one corrupt regime offers them something and a way out for their kids and another tramples on them, then it's no surprise they will turn on the regime that ousts that which them fed them from the leftovers of its corruption.

Thaksin got too big for his britches so the other rich elites conspired to oust him. Typical Thai gangsta politics. Maybe Thaksin deserved it maybe he didn't frankly Thailand traded one monstrous horses' ass for a collection of smaller horses' asses operating mafia style in my book. Abhisit's the front man for the Prem and everyone knows it. I could care less but there has to be a better was to reach resolution than the army shooting live rounds blindly at the red shirts encampment.

For Abhisit to reject a negotiated sol'n is within his prerogative, the West is preoccupied with its own problems. However, IMHO while I would reject the U.N. cumbersome and too much press/att'n I would recommend Singapore as the honest broker. Local and respected regional power, non-corrupt authoritarian regime and they are incredibly systematic and efficient. If the Red Shirts didn't accept that then Abhisit would probably get world sanction to take the encessary saction (read use of military force) to break-up the protests. If he goes ahead with the military w/o at least attempting to find an honest broker world opinion is giving Thailand a beating.

Just my thoughts.

More importantly (to them, I hope), I'll have to say that after having BBC World as my homepage for as long as I've been an expat (7 years), I have now been 'awakened' to how flawed they are. How can I trust what they say about places of which I have no local knowledge and rely on them for balanced and accurate reporting, having seen how badly they have portrayed the Thai situation? Fortunately, I have found Al Jazeera's English news to be far superior, and it is they that shall now be my prime source of international news.

Goodbye Beeb, shame on you and shame on me to have blindly trusted you for so long.

This should be pinned at the top of the forum permanently. Too many people trust what the BBC says blindly. However look at the "special" on Al Jazeera today before you give them your trust. It is another hatchet job that makes it seem like everything is the Thai government's fault.

There is enough blame to go around on both sides, but at least the PM has negotiated in good faith and the other side has not been sincere in any way. They wanted war (and they got it).

Edited by Ulysses G.

I can agree with the stop killing of innocent people. The bystanders, the soldiers that are given orders and are doing their jobs, and anyone else that is not involved with trying escalate the situation. The children that are their by no choice of their own, are innocent, the police should be considered innocent as so should the army. So if that's the case, it's OK to kill the non-innocent. And I agree with the monks, stop killing the innocent, and start killing only the trouble makers out there. Yesterday on the news they showed a group of men, young and old "playing" with gasoline bombs, or Molotov cocktails. Funny thing, not one "worked", they merely broke in the street, they weren't being thrown at anyone in particular, even lobbing them a few meters just to get one to ingite! Pathetic. I guess good clean innocent fun to be had by a group of men. So stop killing the innocent, and start killing the obvious ones that are not. How can you tell the difference? The non-innocent are not going home. :)

you are a sick man. the army is not innocent, nor are the police, the government is very sick like you. all killing is wrong thai against thai is wrong.

Please try to have a clue about what you are talking about

Lets see howmany wrong 'facts'.

The PPP had the largest MINORITY so had first chance to dreate a COALITION.

But Samaks party was caught egregiously cheating during that election...

It was Samak not Somsak, that's a different fellow.

BEFORE PPP was disolved Samak was convicted :

'Conflict of Interest' under the constitutional laws

AND 'Perjury' AKA lieing in court That cause his removal as OM... for ONE day.

But just as he was about to be REINSTATED AS PM...Thaksin stepped in a vetoed it from London.

Thaksin had his brother-in-law, husband of banned TRT MP Yowawopa* Shinawatra Wongsuwat

installed as PPP headman and PM, likely controled by his dominant wife; No mandate built vote of the people involved.

Somchai Wongsuwat, not Somsak or Samak..... seems you can't possibly live here...

During his time in office NO LEGISLATION occured. He did totally miss the world financial collapse

while trying to unsuccessfully re-write the constitution to get Thaksin and the TRT 111 a free pass.

Working against the ticking clock of a solid prosecution of PPP for election fraud.

Then under pressure to clear PAD protesters from the airport the PPP dissolution decision was advanced 2 weeks or so,

ostenisbly so HRM could have a nice birthday, but the decisions would have been the same in 2 weeks.

In contrast to Reds today, PAD went home immediately, no need to hang around,

because their reason to protest no longer existed; the attempt to re-write the constitution

to give Thaksin a free pass and get out of jail legislation.

After that the PPP caretaker PM... did NOT call for a NEW VOTE... this was a PPP political calculation, that they lost.

This allowed, during parliamentary voting for a new PM, for some factions including Newins Firends

to entertain better offers, they took them, a vote was held, and PPP lost....

they COULD have had a fresh vote, but they thought that they had bought off the departing parties,

and they were wrong.

The departing parties joined a slightly more minority Democrats and got a true majority coalition,

whichs trumped the larger MINORITY PPP and it's coalition, which moved it's MP's top PTP

and still held a large share of seats. Red voters still represented in Parliament by 223 PTP heads, by the way.

And lastly the current case against the Dems was not even filed till last year by PTP, not TRT nor PPP,

after PTP lost an attempt at a Censure vote agains the Dems.

So many utterly incorrect statements in such a simple paragraph boggles the mind,

but you managed it...

Better offer is the right word LOL

Better offer = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

they certainly did win and therefore formed the government, with mr Somsak as PM, then their party was again dissolved in a similar way to the TRT, they again formed the government with the new party and then the PM was ousted for hosting a cooking show on TV while being PM, after that one group led by Mr. Newin Chidchob broke away and formed a coalition with the minority Ddemocrats.

just as a reminder : when the TRT was dissolved, the case was pending aginst the democrat party too, and even the then Coup leader wanted both parties to be dissolved, but that was not allowed to be.

But just as he was about to be REINSTATED AS PM...Thaksin stepped in a vetoed it from London.

Thaksin had his brother-in-law, husband of banned TRT MP Yowawopa* Shinawatra Wongsuwat

installed as PPP headman and PM, likely controled by his dominant wife; No mandate built vote of the people involved.

Somchai Wongsuwat, not Somsak or Samak..... seems you can't possibly live here...

During his time in office NO LEGISLATION occured. He did totally miss the world financial collapse

while trying to unsuccessfully re-write the constitution to get Thaksin and the TRT 111 a free pass.

Working against the ticking clock of a solid prosecution of PPP for election fraud.

Then under pressure to clear PAD protesters from the airport the PPP dissolution decision was advanced 2 weeks or so,

ostenisbly so HRM could have a nice birthday, but the decisions would have been the same in 2 weeks.

because their reason to protest no longer existed; the attempt to re-write the constitution

After that the PPP caretaker PM... did NOT call for a NEW VOTE... this was a PPP political calculation, that they lost.

This allowed, during parliamentary voting for a new PM, for some factions including Newins Firends

they COULD have had a fresh vote, but they thought that they had bought off the departing parties,

and they were wrong.

The departing parties joined a slightly more minority Democrats and got a true majority coalition,

whichs trumped the larger MINORITY PPP and it's coalition, which moved it's MP's top PTP

and still held a large share of seats. Red voters still represented in Parliament by 223 PTP heads, by the way.

And lastly the current case against the Dems was not even filed till last year by PTP, not TRT nor PPP,

So many utterly incorrect statements in such a simple paragraph boggles the mind,

but you managed it...

Those are the real facts. But real fact has no value for people who functions like:

"-It doesn't matter what you say or prove. I still want it my way!"

Gotta run - but I'll be back for now I'll just say the Red Shirts may be ignorant of the niceties of democracy as much as they would be with the proper use of a full western dinner setting. However, they are well acquainted with corruption, vice and poverty. If one corrupt regime offers them something and a way out for their kids and another tramples on them, then it's no surprise they will turn on the regime that ousts that which them fed them from the leftovers of its corruption.

Thaksin got too big for his britches so the other rich elites conspired to oust him. Typical Thai gangsta politics. Maybe Thaksin deserved it maybe he didn't frankly Thailand traded one monstrous horses' ass for a collection of smaller horses' asses operating mafia style in my book. Abhisit's the front man for the Prem and everyone knows it. I could care less but there has to be a better was to reach resolution than the army shooting live rounds blindly at the red shirts encampment.

For Abhisit to reject a negotiated sol'n is within his prerogative, the West is preoccupied with its own problems. However, IMHO while I would reject the U.N. cumbersome and too much press/att'n I would recommend Singapore as the honest broker. Local and respected regional power, non-corrupt authoritarian regime and they are incredibly systematic and efficient. If the Red Shirts didn't accept that then Abhisit would probably get world sanction to take the encessary saction (read use of military force) to break-up the protests. If he goes ahead with the military w/o at least attempting to find an honest broker world opinion is giving Thailand a beating.

Just my thoughts.

right on this is good thinking i wonder how many agree with it it would be interesting to know

I can agree with the stop killing of innocent people. The bystanders, the soldiers that are given orders and are doing their jobs, and anyone else that is not involved with trying escalate the situation. The children that are their by no choice of their own, are innocent, the police should be considered innocent as so should the army. So if that's the case, it's OK to kill the non-innocent. And I agree with the monks, stop killing the innocent, and start killing only the trouble makers out there. Yesterday on the news they showed a group of men, young and old "playing" with gasoline bombs, or Molotov cocktails. Funny thing, not one "worked", they merely broke in the street, they weren't being thrown at anyone in particular, even lobbing them a few meters just to get one to ingite! Pathetic. I guess good clean innocent fun to be had by a group of men. So stop killing the innocent, and start killing the obvious ones that are not. How can you tell the difference? The non-innocent are not going home. :)

you are a sick man. the army is not innocent, nor are the police, the government is very sick like you. all killing is wrong thai against thai is wrong.

All of Abhisit moderation and coolness is forgotten

It seems that way yes , the governement may win a battle , they

might loose the war

Monks pray for peace on edge of Bangkok flashpoint

by Ian Timberlake

BANGKOK (AFP) -- At a monument to a conflict that took place decades ago, hundreds of Buddhist monks prayed for an end to the modern urban warfare being waged around them in the Thai capital.

The Buddhist association that invited the monks to Bangkok's Victory Monument had a message for Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva -- stop the army killing "innocent people."

An emergency vehicle raced past, siren wailing, as about 400 monks clad in orange and brown robes gathered at the city landmark on the edge of the Ratchaprarop district on Sunday evening.

The district has been one of the flashpoint zones in the capital which has seen three days of clashes between troops and "Red Shirt" protesters that have left 35 people dead and 244 wounded.

Adisak Wanasin, president of the Buddhism Relation Association in Bangkok, said he invited the monks from temples in the city and surrounding provinces to ask for peace.

"We also would like to ask his excellency the prime minister of Thailand, please consider telling all of the armed forces in Bangkok: stop killing innocent people," he told AFP.

If troops withdraw, "we believe the situation will turn better."

Adisak, who is about 70 and attributes his healthy appearance to Buddhist meditation, said his association was independent and wanted both sides to halt the fighting.

"We are concerned about peace and the protection and promotion of Buddhism," he said of his group.

Black smoke, likely from tyres torched by demonstrators, rose about 500 metres away while white-uniformed medical rescue workers stood by the roundabout, ready for their next call into the danger zone.

From an elevated railway station -- closed because of the violence -- soldiers looked out over the monument where the monks sat before a statue of Buddha and chanted over a loudspeaker.

"Buddhists stop killing each other now," said a large sign hung on the cannon-encircled monument, where statues of soldiers bow their heads.

Buddhists should not kill anything, said Apiradee Peungpradat, from the Buddhist association, who blamed authorities for the violence.

A local businessman, Krishanapongsa Seangchot, said it was a "sick government". But prayers should help the peace effort, he said, wearing a Buddhist amulet around his neck, and noting that some monks have also prayed at the protesters' fortified encampment in central Bangkok.

Thai monks are banned from voting or running for office and a body of senior monks, the Supreme Sangha Council, ruled long ago that they cannot join a political rally, an official at the Office of National Buddhism told AFP.

But since mass protests began in Bangkok in mid-March demanding immediate elections, the protests have been dotted with the monks' distinctive attire.

The Reds want an end to a government they see as elitist and undemocratic because it came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote after a court ruling ousted elected allies of their hero, ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Asked what he thought of the Reds, Adisak said they want "equal treatment for all" but both they and the army should stop fighting.

"Oh yes," he said, as the black smoke blew closer to the roundabout.

"We would like to see Thailand as a whole, peaceful country, everybody smiling. Like we had the old saying: 'Thailand is the land of smiles.' But now some people cannot smile," he said with a big, infectious grin.

As the sun set, ushering in another dangerous night in Ratchaprarop, the chanting for peace continued.

Venerable Monks, the Army is not killing innocent People, all what they are doing is to prevent that Thailand becomes an anarchy inflicted by an bunch of Shit.

If any citizen in any Country would start an action as Thaksins Red Terrorists have started, the army and policy would have them finished of long ago.

So stop all of you to blame the Government for the BS going on and blame where it is belongs too. On Thaksin and his dirthy cohorts he pays with Peanuts.

If I where in the Thai government, Thaksin would be stripped of his Thai citizenship because he is not any more Thai. All his property sized and the damage paid done by your anti human action. You are as fare away from democracy asd Pol Pot or Thaksin

You Red Garbage has to be blamed for any thing happen now only yourself and your dirthy and coward leaders. But that is your problem, instead of seeing your action you blame others for it. SHAME ON YOU till eternity.

Topic end.

So then by your standards the reds must be sickest of all as they have illegally held the city hostage for 2 months, have declared war and incited the bloodshed. They refused elections as offered and have refused to disperse once Suthep turned himself in. The #1 job of the military is to protect the majority of it's citizens, even if it is from their own citizens. There is a major sickness going around but I think you are looking in the wrond direction.

but you managed it...

you are absolutely right, my apologies

I just didn't like the term "brainwashed" and wanted to check (by provocation) if the poster was just shouting or did have a clue

where you were wrong is the point about the case against the Dems, as I was clearly not alluding to the actual case, but the one parallel to the TRT case - and then the Dems were not allowed to be dissolved.

You are right the PPP did not have a majority of seats at last election , but close , and formed a coalition .

Thats how in UK Cameron became prime minister , what's wrong with that ?

Now imagine Cameron is found corrupt and again assume the torries are disbanded , new parties created ,

some faction switching side and so on .

Do you think that new general elections would be called in UK for the whole parliament or not ?

Well if you do not , you have been too long in Thailand , and forgot that democracy comes

with a popular mandate

You can't continue to compare a theoretical situtation in the UK and your *predicted* result of that theoretical situation to what *has* happened in Thailand.

If anyone can come up with a meaning, or relevance, to "popular mandate" then it might be worth discussing *again*, but having the majority of MPs supporting the government is popular enough for me at the moment.

[but the reds DID NOT win a majority in the last election. Have you found the time to look at the results of the last election?

they certainly did win and therefore formed the government, with mr Somsak as PM, then their party was again dissolved in a similar way to the TRT, they again formed the government with the new party and then the PM was ousted for hosting a cooking show on TV while being PM, after that one group led by Mr. Newin Chidchob broke away and formed a coalition with the minority Ddemocrats.

just as a reminder : when the TRT was dissolved, the case was pending aginst the democrat party too, and even the then Coup leader wanted both parties to be dissolved, but that was not allowed to be.

They did not 'win', what they did was to gather a coalition of parties, the same as in the UK, Sweden etc. And the same as is in Thailand now.

And the party dissolvement was way after Samak had to step down for 1 day sue to his cooking show. When he was going to be voted back in Thaksin withdrew his support as Samak had too much of his own head and Thaksin instructed that Somchai should be new PM instead and it was put forward to the vote in the parliament.

So then by your standards the reds must be sickest of all as they have illegally held the city hostage for 2 months, have declared war and incited the bloodshed. They refused elections as offered and have refused to disperse once Suthep turned himself in. The #1 job of the military is to protect the majority of it's citizens, even if it is from their own citizens. There is a major sickness going around but I think you are looking in the wrond direction.

it's not THE GOVERNMENT, and it's not THE REDS.

there are people on both sides who want the best, and there are others who do not want them to achieve it.

if we leave the question apart, who they are, and from where, it is sick and wrong to fight against each other, and to kill each other

unfortunately this has happened before, in many countries, in Thailand too, and it will also not be the last time

the main and only question should be : how can anyone stop this nonsense ?

it will not be easy, as it looks, as on both sides, or rather "behind" both sides, there are people interested in this dragging on, for their own personal gain!

All the poor innocent protestors??? They declare war on the Government, try to impose their will on the rest of the country (us that democracy???). They are using old women and children as human shields, they are every bit as bad as the Taliban and that lot. I am sure if you ask the Taliban they will say they are fighting for the majority of the population too.

Where did you get this photo? After all, the BBC and CNN reporters, all on the ground, have said they have never seen the red shirts with guns??

I hate to say it, and I will ask my son who is a photo shop expert...but these guns do look a bit photo shopped in...

asking again, where did you get this photo?? what is the source?

Do these look photoshopped?

No but that other picture certainly does.

At the start of the conflict, my GF was really into Thaksin as everyone in her parents village was happy when they got 1 million extra to share (as they are not a big village...) and they felt they had more money at that time. She seemingly supported the Red shirts, but was not so vocal about it, but truly disliked the democrats and was vocal about it.

it is now a few weeks later and she says nothing about Thaksin nor the democrats (she might still think the same of them) but the only thing she has been vocal about is that 'the idiots must stop' and 'the idiots must go home'.

And yesterday I accidentally commented on a youtube video using her login and she got a message from a very upset (Thai) Red Shirt supporter with a highly offensive (LM!) profile picture that was very abusive in language and clearly of the revolutionary kind...I don't think that went well over with my GF either as she truly loves the HM King.

So opinions change.

I truly believe that the Reds are losing support by the buckets...

"No governments allow any organisations to intervene in their internal affairs," spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said.

<<< WHAT????

The whole pitch patch political system in Thailand is a Made in Europe, corruption susceptible pile of garbage that has been bubbling and fomenting for 80 years. The Khana Ratsadon, 'the fathers of democracy' were squabbling among themselves before they even came back from France and England.

Saying Thailand has never been interfered with is like saying a mama san is a virgin! FCS!!!

The Joseph Solution is a partly made in Canada and partly "Made in Thailand" political design which 95% of Thais would agree to!

It does NOT require the UN, but to follow the agenda of The Joseph Plan to bring about Stability and Peace, with the elimination of Corruption.

Hello . Do you have a web link to the Joseph solution ?

What is it ?

Yes, what is Joseph solution. I have not heard about it before.

Look at this and make up your own minds, this is the true intellect of the people the Government has to deal with. what are the red excuses for this? Photshop? fake red? DISGUSTING !!!

Does the kid even understands the conflict? NO! His red parents just put him there.

Looks like the kid knows the seriousness of his young desperate life... Look here.

http://twitpic.com/1ojv9w

Total M A D N E S S

Talking about sick?

I'm praying for the baby

img-resized.png Reduced 67%post-72002-1274083219_thumb.jpg 600 x 450 (85.5K)//img-resized.png Reduced 75%post-72002-1274083240_thumb.jpg 600 x 800 (130.29K)//

I just submitted these photos to BBC. I suggest you the same to BBC and other media outlets.

I do not think that they will publish it since we did not take these pictures ourselves. Copyright stuff.

Anyways, I submitted it.

I read in an earlier News article that protesters who took their children to the protesters side refuse to send them home or to a safer place... I must say, this is a really irresponsible act of any parent joining the UDD.

I'm so anxious to take the poor children away from those parents and put them into a safer place and send them to adoption because those parents do not set a right example for the children. How can they even call themselves parents.

Otherwise it's no wonder that Thailand's population is decreasing because those types of parents are so stubborn putting thier children and themselves into grave danger. Their children will die under gunfire, and when their parents die, who's gonna take care of them? Secondly if those kids ever survive somehow, someway, they will plot revenge on the future government when they grow up...

Obvious Max you have little or no knowledge of childrens plight in Thailand. You should visit one of the many "warehousing sites, " for abandoned Thai children. And you want to take the children away from their parents...more sob sister from Ferangs. Mind your own business. :)

More important, are the post offices really closed on Monday and Tuesday ?

Thanks.

:-)

They are part of the government aren't they? The government declared Monday and Tuesday public (government) holidays.

That just shows how ignorant and brainwashed that you are.

The PPP did NOT win a majority of seats in the last election. They were short of the majority to form government by themselves. Both the PPP and Democrats got about 40% of the vote, but the PPP won more seats. The PPP used a coalition of smaller parties to gain a majority and elect Samak as PM.

Then Samak was stripped of being PM because he had two paid jobs (don't you think a PM should just concentrate on being PM) and lied in court. He could have been elected PM again the very next day, but the PPP and the smaller parties elected Somchai (Thaksin's brother in law).

The the PPP executive (not all MPs) were banned after being caught on video committing electoral fraud. By-elections were held to replace banned MPs. The PTP (new PPP) won very few of the by-elections (it seems the people were a bit sick of them).

At this point, most of the ex-PPP MPs went to the new PTP, but Newin's group formed a new party called the BJT.

Newin's group and some other smaller parties formed a coalition with the Democrats, giving them the majority of MPs to vote Abhisit as PM.

You are right the PPP did not have a majority of seats at last election , but close , and formed a coalition .

Thats how in UK Cameron became prime minister , what's wrong with that ?

Now imagine Cameron is found corrupt and again assume the torries are disbanded , new parties created ,

some faction switching side and so on .

Do you think that new general elections would be called in UK for the whole parliament or not ?

Well if you do not , you have been too long in Thailand , and forgot that democracy comes

with a popular mandate

All it would take was Cameron resigning, and so with him goes his cabinet: no government.

But since all the MPs, or those that haven't resigned prior to by-elections, would still be there under any banner.

Next is an attempt by Tories to elect a new PM via parliamentary vote.

If New Dems decide Tories are not up to the job, they vote NO.

And after a vote or two, best try, Labour and New Dems make a coalition and get a majority of seats.

End of story. New Dems or Labour voted for a New PM. All legal and above board.

A devastating indictment of the Red Parents mindset.

Total M A D N E S S

Talking about sick?

I'm praying for the baby

img-resized.png Reduced 67%post-72002-1274083219_thumb.jpg 600 x 450 (85.5K)//img-resized.png Reduced 75%post-72002-1274083240_thumb.jpg 600 x 800 (130.29K)//

I just submitted these photos to BBC. I suggest you the same to BBC and other media outlets.

I do not think that they will publish it since we did not take these pictures ourselves. Copyright stuff.

Anyways, I submitted it.

This is the video of the baby used as human shield. I have taken this video today at 14.15 h under the expressway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjT7ZKkq5yQ

Please spread it! I give permission that it can be used! Those Reds are insane!!!

you can follow our twitter updates under

http://twitpic.com/photos/freakingcat

Edited by hughbk

and they were wrong.

but you managed it...

Better offer is the right word LOL

Better offer = $$$$$$$$

Just the same offer that PTP was giving, but better, and no doubt seats in the cabinet.

In total a better offer and constinued influence in government,

which is what their constituents vote them in for.

And JUST the same kind of offer PPP gave them to join them.

It's OK when you guys do it but not your opposition..

Your DOUBLE STANDARDS are writ large.