Apartment Installing Ubc

kwestroc

Hello All,

I have looked through the forums and haven't found anything that can help me in this situation. I have been living in an apartment in Huay kwang for the last 10 months. The place is great and so is the owner and his family. However, they will not allow me to install UBC. The apartment previously had UBC with 4 channels, plus the free ones. In December they changed to a local cable company that has mostly Thai channels and a few English ones. I'm dying to watch my sports (especially with the World Cup coming up) but I'm stuck with the arguement from the owner of too many holes being put all over the place to install UBC.

So his argument is too many holes in the room if UBC is installed. I'm going to give it a go and ask him again if I can install UBC.

Anyone have any suggestions? Would having a UBC dish on the roof already from the old cable they supplied be helpful in my quest for installation? Does UBC really put that many unsightly holes all over the room when they install it? Please help me if you can! I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! :)

I had a similar problem when leaving an apartment - yes, when the cable & dish is removed, it leaves a bit of a mess. Cost me a modest (though not unacceptable) reduction in return of my deposit. If your landlord is a good guy (!!??), maybe you can agree to cover the cost of making good when you leave. Probably a lot cheaper than watching the World Cup in a bar! Good luck!

I had a similar problem when leaving an apartment - yes, when the cable & dish is removed, it leaves a bit of a mess. Cost me a modest (though not unacceptable) reduction in return of my deposit. If your landlord is a good guy (!!??), maybe you can agree to cover the cost of making good when you leave. Probably a lot cheaper than watching the World Cup in a bar! Good luck!

Thanks heebee for the quick reply! I'll throw that in there at him. He's a very very good guy! Kind of like a sweet old grandfather haha

I had UBC fited in my (wife's) house. Four hole's for the dish, one small one for the cable, But they did pin the wire to the wall (not necessary) Ive got rid of UBC as other than the football it's crap. Left the wire up to me, as they say, the remaining hole were easy to fill. Try and sweet talk him and give him some "cash" up front for any damage. Thai's like cash might just work. Best of luck.

If the previous install of the then UBC (now it's called Truevisions and has been for over 3 years) cable and dish is still in place the system is most likely still serviceable. If only the mount bracket and cable are there all the techs need to do is install a new dish and box. So, several options to re-use what was there before if the parts are in good order. They will try to tell you the cable and such is no good but unless its actually damaged its still good.

And definitely make the offer to the owner of the place that any and all holes etc will be repaired by you. But if using the old system should not be necessary for making new holes.

If the previous install of the then UBC (now it's called Truevisions and has been for over 3 years) cable and dish is still in place the system is most likely still serviceable. If only the mount bracket and cable are there all the techs need to do is install a new dish and box. So, several options to re-use what was there before if the parts are in good order. They will try to tell you the cable and such is no good but unless its actually damaged its still good.

And definitely make the offer to the owner of the place that any and all holes etc will be repaired by you. But if using the old system should not be necessary for making new holes.

I am not certain about the "holes" but I pose another query you say "...I'm dying to watch my sports (especially with the World Cup coming up)..."

I understand that as from 31st May DTSTV [south African Sports Channels] is changing its Satelite and the footprint so that transmissions will only be available south of the Sahara unless a Fee has been paid to receive it in another country. For some time now Ihave been trying to get an answer as to whether True [or any other Thai provider - cable or Satellite ] will be transmitting not only the World Cup but EPL,Cricket F1 and other sports that we enjoy now. You nay havewitnessed over the past weeks the inability to see live World Cup cricket from the West Indies.

In fact a local [Pattaya] expat suplier of sports satellite services refused to sell me his service bcause he would not be able to supply after 31/5/2010!!! At least he was honest.

So my question to you is why bother with the holes if after getting the service you still will not be able to watch the World Cup ?? !!!!

Anyone had any success in getting a commitment or an answer to this vexing quetion?

I think that most of the world cup is going to be on terrestrial t.v. and only the HD TrueVisions package will cover the world cup (so be sure to get a HD tv and the HD True package - could be wrong but you should check that out).

Yep bkkmick I think you are right. I think the options are:-

• Normal terrestrial TV [Free to air through a TV aerial] will get you the sports channels [3 & 7 I think] so everyone will be able to watch and lsten to the brilliant Thai commentaries
  • Cable [sophon in Pattaya] - Nothing Zilch - unless they can find an illegal way to get it
  • Satellite [TrueVision] Nothing unless you subscribe to special HD transmission package and buy a HD TV connected through their HD DeCoder.

Many bars will not be paying for it especially under the current financial challenges most must be experiencing at present due to the lack of tourists.

I am investigating an Internet site that shows live sports coverage and is scheduling the World Cup and also does not seem to have a buffering challenge that I may be able to show on my large screens in the bar.

If anyone knows of any othet alternatives I would be grateful to hear.

I know this is slightly off your original subject kwestroc but none the less might help in you deciding whether to worry about holes in your Landlord's premises.

I think that most of the world cup is going to be on terrestrial t.v. and only the HD TrueVisions package will cover the world cup (so be sure to get a HD tv and the HD True package - could be wrong but you should check that out).

but all the FREE Thai channels do cover the World-Cup.

Just switch off the Volume, if there is too much "O-HOOOOO" or "CRAP" ..... ermmm, excuse me, I mean: "KRUB" from the Thai commentators.... :)

Help please. I have a similiar problem to the OP.

I have moved from a house to a condo in Rayong province. The condo has the SAMART cable system already installed..no sports channels. I asked TrueVison to re-install in my new place they said that they cannot due to condo restrictions on installing a satalitte dish on the balcony!

Is there someway they can use the existing cable system and tune it to the UBC box? I am close(ish) to the top floor, is it reasonable to request them to put the dish on the roof, is that feasible?

The admin office don't seem to know what the solution is. I have rang UBC and haven't received a reply as yet. I am the first tenant to request UBC in the building.

thanks

Thanks everyone for your help! I went down to talk to the owner today. I asked about using the old dish and apparently he beat me to it because he was watching UBC in his office. I told him I would pay to have everything fixed if I moved, even offered him money upfront. The guy is sticking to his guns about making holes and creating hel_l all over the building with wires, along with making the building look ugly if the other tenants decide to start putting up dishes. I guess it's bon voyage for me then! Thanks everyone for your help.

One more thing if anyone can help. When you first install Truevisions, you pay them to install the dish(depending on the package). Are there any other costs associated with it when you first install True? Thanks in advance again ^^

I can only speak of my experiences when I moved to my new house. The move costs for relocating the equipment from a rental to the new house was quoted at 2,000 baht and 50 baht extra per meter of cable if the install is over 25 meters I believe. When they did the move and found I already had the correct cable and connectors installed they reduced the move cost to 1000 baht, I think the quoted install fees are fixed for a certain distance of cable and all set up.Anything over a given distance you pay extra for the cable and labor.